Sergeant James F. Ames of the 5th New York Cavalry deserted the Union army in Feb. 1863 and joined Lt. Col. John S. Mosby’s Partisan Rangers (later 43d Cavalry Battalion). Nicknamed “Big Yankee” Ames rose to the rank of 2d lieutenant. On . . . — — Map (db m643) HM
On July 19, 1861 Stonewall Jackson’s brigade of General Joseph E. Johnston’s corps marched to this station from Winchester. They crowded into freight and cattle cars and travelled to the 1st Battle of Manassas. The use of a railroad to carry more . . . — — Map (db m642) HM
Some time before 1858, the Methodists and Episcopalians of the Community of Oak Hill, who had shared a church at Cool Spring since 1816, decided to build separate churches. Piedmont Parish raised $1,000; John Thomas Smith and his wife Margaret Lewis . . . — — Map (db m11492) HM
Here at Piedmont Station (now Delaplane) trains were used for
the first time in history to move troops to impending battle.
On July 19, 1861 the fields surrounding this stop on the
Manassas Gap Railroad—which appeared then almost exactly . . . — — Map (db m41648) HM