Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Delaware City, Delaware Historical Markers

 
Marker on Pea Patch Island image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, August 13, 2009
Marker on Pea Patch Island
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Batteries Hentig and DoddThe 1890s modernization continued
By the turn of the century, Fort Delaware had become part of a coastal defense system, linking Fort Mott in New Jersey and Fort Dupont in Delaware. Batteries* Hentig and Dodd, which each housed two rapid-fire guns, were intended to furnish . . . — Map (db m21662) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — ChapelFort DuPont
Fort DuPont’s Chapel was constructed in 1941 to meet the spiritual needs of soldiers preparing to go abroad. The spire of this indicates its non-denominational status.

The Army considered wooden structures “temporary.” Most of the . . . — Map (db m140404) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-100 — Christ Episcopal ChurchDelaware City
In 1847, the Reverend Andrew F. Freeman and the Reverend Thomas F. Billop were appointed as a committee to organize and solicit subscriptions for a Protestant Episcopal church in Delaware City. The parish was formally organized on May 28, 1848, when . . . — Map (db m10208) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Commanding Officer QuartersFort DuPont
Constructed in 1910 at the head of Officers Row, the Commanding Officer Quarters sits on what was once Delaware City farmland.

The building is prominently located on the north corner of the Parade Ground, a highly visible and dominating . . . — Map (db m140437) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Delaware City Fire CompanyIn Memory of Our Members
March 17, 1887 First Organized; January 23, 1889 Delaware City Hose Co.; July 9, 1924 Reorganized Delaware City Fire Co. No. 1; January 29, 1926 Incorporated; November 7, 2004 815 Fifth St. — Map (db m140485) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-97 — Delaware City School No. 118C
In 1919 Delaware radically altered its state school system, opening a new era in the education of African-American youth. Progress was stimulated by the efforts of the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary supporter, P.S. duPont, who . . . — Map (db m10445) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Delaware Historic Civil Engineering Landmark
Chesapeake & Delaware Canal Designated 1982, Delaware Section, ASCE — Map (db m10204) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NCC-227 — Fort DuPont
This fort was originally established in 1863 as the Ten Gun Battery opposite Fort Delaware. In 1897 construction began on concrete gun batteries armed with long-range rifles, rapid-fire rifles and mortars. The fort was renamed in honor of Rear . . . — Map (db m140397) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Fort DuPont World War II Memorial
The U.S Army’s World War II XIII Corps (Dec ’42-Sept ’45) stationed its headquarters at Ft. DuPont (May ’43-June’44) prior to transferring to Eto. XIII Corps troops reached the Elbe River, near Tangermunde, Germany, in April 1945, the closest that . . . — Map (db m140451) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Historic Delaware City
Delaware City’s story begins in 1801 when the Newbold brothers, Barzilla, Clayton, and John, of New Jersey, acquired 1600 acres of land on the Delaware River, John Newbold built a wharf that became a center for trading and shipping grain, giving the . . . — Map (db m140461) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — In Memory of W. Emerson Wilson1908 - 1982
Through his leadership Pea Patch Island was returned to the State of Delaware by the Federal Government in 1948. He was the founder and first president of the Fort Delaware Society, January 1950 and was elected chairman of the board in 1956. — Map (db m10207) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Officers RowFort DuPont
Officers Row was a home to commissioned officers and their families. The road was the originally the Henry farmhouse driveway leading from the canal (bottom left). The fountain replaced the “triangle” between Officers Row, Elm and Maple. . . . — Map (db m140434) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-178 — Old Delaware City Public School
Delaware City was founded in 1826, in anticipation of the opening of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. The town was incorporated in 1851. The benefits of proximity to the canal resulted in a sustained period by prosperity and expansion of the . . . — Map (db m94190) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Parade GroundsFort DuPont
This 18 acres of open space has been the focal point for most of the fort’s existence and has served many purposes over the years.

Geographically, the Parade Ground separated officers’ quarters from enlisted barracks and utilitarian buildings. . . . — Map (db m140448) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Pea Patch Island
Fort Delaware is located on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River. The island is sometimes said to have gotten its name from a boat loaded with peas that ran aground on a mud shoal in the 1770s. The spilled peas sprouted, mud caught in the vines, . . . — Map (db m21589) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Post ExchangeFort DuPont
The Post Exchange (PX) was constructed in 1906. Later known as Burton Hall, the PX was multi-purpose facility that over the years included a gymnasium, bowling alley, barber shop, pool tables, soda fountain, exchange and library. — Map (db m140449) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Post HeadquartersFort DuPont
This is the fort’s headquarters, also known as the administration building, constructed in 1901. The first floor of the building contained offices, the second floor was used for courts martial and records storage. The fort’s first official . . . — Map (db m140447) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Sally Port
In its original state, heavy iron-studded oak doors (like the one before you) stood at both ends of the sally port. Large granite blocks, quarried in Quincy, Massachusetts, line its walls. A sample of the fort’s fine brickwork can be seen on the . . . — Map (db m21665) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — The Diving Bell
Made in Philadelphia 1839 for the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Company, it was used as an air chamber for workmen to make underwater repairs on the lock gates. The canal was opened in 1829 and was operated until the sea level canal was opened at . . . — Map (db m10201) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement