Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Dover, Delaware Historical Markers

 
An Army of Restoration (CCC) Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, October 17, 2012
An Army of Restoration (CCC) Marker
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — An Army of Restoration (CCC)
To provide employment and vocational training for youthful citizens of the United States…through the performance of useful public work in connection with the conservation and development of the natural resources of the United States and its . . . — Map (db m4491) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-119 — Annie Jump Cannon
Annie Jump Cannon (1863-1941), a prominent astronomer who pioneered stellar classification, observed her first stars from the roof of this house. Cannon, who was legally deaf, graduated valedictorian from Wilmington Conference Academy, now Wesley . . . — Map (db m94379) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Armed Forces Memorial
This monument is dedicated to remember those men and women missing in action while serving in the Armed Services of the United States of America

Korean War Clifton E. Brooks – PFC U.S. Army • Samuel L. Crawford – PFC U.S. . . . — Map (db m39725) WM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Battles and Engagements of the Delaware Regiment
Battles around New York City and Environs, 1776-1779 1. Long Island, August 27, 1776 2. Throg's Neck, October 12-18, 1776 3. Mamaroneck Raid, October 22, 1776 4. White Plains, October 28, 1776 5. Retreat across New Jersey, . . . — Map (db m39713) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Bioretention
This facility was converted from a stormwater pond into a bioretention facility in 2009. A bioretention facility, also known as a rain garden, filters polluted stormwater before it enters into a waterway.

When it rains, water washes over . . . — Map (db m51116) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-43 — Bishop Richard Allen
Richard Allen founded and became the first Bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1816. Born into slavery in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on February 14, 1760, Allen and his family were sold to a family near Dover in 1772. While there, . . . — Map (db m39093) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-88 — Booker T. Washington School
On November 13, 1922, 210 children and 6 teachers marched from two old school buildings located on Slaughter Street and Division Street to a new school for African- American students in Dover. Funding for the building was provided by the Delaware . . . — Map (db m39064) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-53 — Byfield
Near this site stood the boyhood home of Caesar Rodney, signer of the Declaration of Independence, Brigadier General of the State's militia (1775-1778), and President (Governor) of Delaware (1778-1781). Byfield was originally settled in the early . . . — Map (db m75835) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Caesar Rodney
Statesman, Soldier and Patriot. Member of Stamp Act Congress and of First and Second Continental Congresses. Signer of Declaration of Independence. Member and Speaker of Colonial Assembly of “Three Lower Counties on Delaware.” Member of . . . — Map (db m39067) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Charles Inglis
In memory of 1734 Charles Inglis 1816 1759 Rector of this parish 1765 1787 Bishop of Nova Scotia 1816 First Colonial Bishop in the British Empire His wife Mary Vining and their two infant children rest in the churchyard. — Map (db m42757) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Colonel John Haslet
Presbyterian minister, later practiced medicine, Member of Colonial Assembly, Member of Council of Safety, 1775. Commanded First Delaware Militia Regiment. This regiment, reviewed in Dover, later joined Washington’s army and fought in Battles of . . . — Map (db m4716) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Commemoration Park
Dedicated on 13 September 1997 Constucted by 436th Civil Engineering Squadron — Map (db m51022) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Delaware State College
Established May 15, 1891, by an act of the Delaware General Assembly as the State College for Colored Students, by virtue of the 1890 Morrill Land-Grant Act under the provisions of the 1862 Morrill Act of Congress. Incorporated July 1, 1891. . . . — Map (db m39054) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-34 — Dover
County seat since 1680. William Penn in 1683 ordered Town site laid out and named Dover. Plotted in 1717. Temporary capitol in 1777 and permanent capitol since 1779. Federal Constitution ratified here in 1787, making Delaware first State in Union. . . . — Map (db m39061) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-35 — Dover
County seat since 1680. William Penn in 1683 ordered Town site laid out and named Dover. Plotted in 1717. Temporary capitol in 1777 and permanent capitol since 1779. Federal Constitution ratified here in 1787, making Delaware first State in Union. . . . — Map (db m39107) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Dover
County seat since 1680. William Penn, in 1683, ordered townsite laid out and named Dover. Plotted in 1717. Temporary capital in 1777 and permanent capital since 1779. Federal Constitution ratified here in 1787 making Delaware First State in Union. . . . — Map (db m51115) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Dover Light InfantryKent County, Delaware Militia — 1776-1777
The Light Infantry Company of Dover, a part of the 1st Battalion of Kent County, mustered in on 2 April 1776. Each militia volunteer was uniformly armed, equipped, and wore a standard military coat of green faced with red lapels, cuffs, and . . . — Map (db m39576) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — East Dover Hundred
Originally part of St. Jones Hundred renamed Dover Hundred 1823, the boundaries being Little Creek on north and St. Jones Creek on south, extending from Delaware River to Maryland line. Dover Hundred was divided 1877 into two hundreds, called East . . . — Map (db m51114) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-117 — Eden Hill Farm
In 1680, a large tract of land called "Brothers Portion" was warranted to John and Richard Walker. In 1695, 200 acres of the parcel were purchased to create the town of Dover. When the town plot was completed in 1718, John Mifflin purchased 69 acres . . . — Map (db m94380) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-86 — Former Site of ILC DoverMakers of the Apollo Moonsuit
In 1947 the International Latex Corporation established a specialty products division and chose this site for its location. The company’s rise to prominence as a supplier of aeronautic and aerospace equipment began in 1952 when it was contracted to . . . — Map (db m39062) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Hall HouseThe First State Heritage Park at Dover
The land on which Hall House stands was originally part of the Woodburn property. In 1885, Thomas Wilson, Jr. purchased an acre from his uncle living in Woodburn and built this house, which was completed in 1887. In 1983, during the . . . — Map (db m43736) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-68 — Hangar 1301
Constructed in 1944, Hangar 1301 served as the headquarters and engineering facility for the 4146th Base Unit from 1944 to 1946. Highly secret testing and development work was done here on air-launched rocket weapons. Aircraft used in testing ranged . . . — Map (db m50623) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Home of John Dickinson
"The Penman of the Revolution." Member of Delaware colonial and state assemblies. Member of Continental Congress, Annapolis Convention, and Philadelphia Federal Constitutional Convention. Signer for Delaware of Articles of Confederation and Federal . . . — Map (db m39583) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — In the Council Chamber of Elizabeth Battell's Golden Fleece Tavern
On this site, Delaware became the first state to ratify the Constitution of the United States. December 7, 1787.

We, the deputies of the people of the Delaware state, in Convention met, having taken in our serious consideration the Federal . . . — Map (db m39074) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — John Bell House
The 18th-century front section of this structure is the oldest surviving wood building in Dover. It is being restored to serve as an interpretive center for the First State heritage Park.

The 20th-century rear additions will be removed to return . . . — Map (db m39097) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — John M. Clayton
Born in Dagsboro, Delaware, 1796. Graduate of Yale College 1815. Member of Delaware House of Representatives 1824. Secretary of State of Delaware 1826-1828. United States Senator 1829-1836, 1845-1849 and 1853 until his death, 1856. Chief Justice of . . . — Map (db m4748) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Kent County Courthouses (1680-1983)
Court was first held in Jones County in 1680. In 1682 William Penn changed the county’s name to Kent County. On August 11, 1863 William Penn directed that the town of Dover be laid out and that a courthouse be erected at the intersection of its two . . . — Map (db m4156) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Legislative Hall - Delaware's Capitol Building
Legislative Hall was dedicated as the state's new capitol building in 1933, replacing The Old State House on The Green. The Senate and the House of Representatives of Delaware's General Assembly meets here. The building also houses the offices of . . . — Map (db m39068) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Liberty Bell ReproductionDedicated to You, a Free Citizen in a Free Land
Dedicated to you, a free citizen in a free land, this reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Delaware by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder, Secretary of the Treasury.

As the inspirational symbol of the United . . . — Map (db m42759) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-60 — Loockerman Hall
In 1723 Nicholas Loockerman purchased 600 acres of land known as “The Range.” Following his death in 1771, the property passed to his grandson Vincent Loockerman Jr. Evidence suggests that he built the Georgian-style mansion known today . . . — Map (db m39053) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — 72000277 — Loockerman House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m39098) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Nicholas Ridgely
In this churchyard lie the remains of Nicholas Ridgely, Statesman and Jurist. Born in Dover, 1762, eldest son of Dr. Charles Greenbury Ridgely and Mary Wynkoop Ridgely. Member of State Convention which ratified the Federal Constitution, December 7, . . . — Map (db m39066) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-39 — Old Christ Church
Founded as mission by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in response to a petition from twenty-two inhabitants of Dover in 1703. The present church was erected in 1734. Among early missionaries here was the Rev. Charles Inglis, later . . . — Map (db m3803) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Old Presbyterian Church
Built 1790 during the pastorate of the Rev. John Miller to replace the earlier log church erected about 1715 on this plot designated as “Meeting House Square”. Presented by the Presbytery to the State of Delaware for a state museum in . . . — Map (db m5048) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Inc.Delaware Chapter One
Joseph S. Barbizzi, James C. Beuter, Cleyo E. Blanchard, Benjamin P. Bowings, George B. Buckalew, Sr., John J. Casey, Malcom T. Chandler, Casimir J. Chiczewski, Herbert D. Clifton, E. Hart Davis, James D. Davis, Joel W. Davis, Charles J. Donnelly, . . . — Map (db m50621) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Revolutionary War Patriot John Banning
Born in 1740 in Dover, Kent Co., DE Died Feb, 15, 1791 in Dover, Kent Co., DE Justice of the Peace Member of Joint Committee of Accounts, Committee of Correspondence, Council of Safety, and General Assembly. — Map (db m42754) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Richardson and Robbins Complex
The Richardson and Robbins complex began in 1881, twenty-six years after Alden B. Richardson and James W. Robbins started a small cannery at another location in Dover. On this new site Richardson and Robbins prospered as canners of high quality . . . — Map (db m42760) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Ridgely House
Dr. Charles Greenbury Ridgely: Member Colonial and State Legislative Assemblies; Delegate First State Constitutional Convention 1776.

Nicholas Ridgely (the younger): Member of Convention that ratified Federal Constitution 1787; Delegate . . . — Map (db m39071) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-70 — Site of Dover's First Methodist Church
In 1778, a Methodist Society was organized in Dover by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. Desiring a permanent place of worship, members acquired a one-half acre lot at this location from Vincent Loockerman in 1782. Future Delaware Governor Richard . . . — Map (db m39065) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-94 — Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church
A Presbyterian Society, present in Kent from c1694, was organized and worshipped in a log church on this site from c1708 until 1791. The Presbytery of Philadelphia recognized its congregation in 1714. The present church was built in 1791 and served . . . — Map (db m5166) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Site of King George’s Tavern
From 1724 known as King George’s Tavern. On its sign was painted King George’s portrait, supplanted during the revolution, by the portrait of George Washington. For many years the old hostelry was the meeting place for political rallies and used for . . . — Map (db m3764) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-44 — St. Jones NeckSite of Settlement in the 1660's
This part of what is now Kent County, Delaware was one of the state's earliest sites of English colonization. Beginning in the 1660's plantations were established along the St. Jones River. The Dickinson family of Talbot County, Maryland was among . . . — Map (db m39581) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — State House
Completed in 1792 and restored in 1976, it was shared by Kent County and the State from 1792 to 1873. Prior to the construction of this building, an older county court house stood on the same site. That small brick structure, about twenty five feet . . . — Map (db m39073) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — T-33A Shooting Star
The two-seater T-33 was developed as a variant of Lockheed's P-80 fighter which had a high accident rate until more training with an onboard instructor reversed that trend. In service for over 50 years, the T-33, known as the Shooting Star of . . . — Map (db m50626) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Bayonets of the Revolution
The Delaware Regiment fought in nearly every campaign of the American Revolution.

For a small state, Delaware's soldiers played a large role in the Revolution. Answering Congress' call, Delaware raised a regiment of 500-600 men by the summer . . . — Map (db m39712) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-89 — The Capitol Theater
In 1904, the Dover Opera House opened at this location. The theater was built with funds from a public subscription, and included a stage that was used for a variety of purposes including vaudeville, photoplays, magic lantern shows, and in later . . . — Map (db m39104) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Compass Rose
First to ratify the Constitution of the United States. Delaware. The Compass Rose. Dedicated 7 December, 1988. — Map (db m3571) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Congressional Medal Of Honor
In Respectful Memory of Those Delawareans who have recieved The Congressional Medal Of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life and beyond the call of duty. —––    The . . . — Map (db m61103) HM WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Delaware Continentals
Liberty and Independence — Map (db m42671) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Delaware Line
To commemorate and also preserve to posterity the undying fame of the patriotism and valor of the officers and soldiers of the Delaware Line who, in May 1780 were reviewed on this green for the last time immediately prior to marching on their . . . — Map (db m3684) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Delaware Regiment
On December 9, 1775, the Continental Congress resolved that a body of troops be raised in Delaware "for the defense of American liberty." Commanded by Colonel John Haslet, the Delaware Regiment consisted of more than 500 battle-ready troops when . . . — Map (db m67456) HM WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The First State Heritage Park of Dover
The First State Heritage Park of Dover is Delaware’s first urban “park without boundaries.” It includes the many historical and cultural attractions within Dover’s historical districts. Linking the diverse sites throughout Delaware’s . . . — Map (db m3557) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The First State Heritage Park of Dover
The First State Heritage Park of Dover is Delaware’s first urban “park without boundaries.” It includes the many historical and cultural attractions within Dover’s historical districts. Linking the diverse sites throughout Delaware’s . . . — Map (db m3560) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-76 — The Golden Fleece TavernBirthplace of the First State
This was the site of the Golden Fleece Tavern, scene of some of the most important and dramatic events in Delaware history. Built in the 1730s, the Golden Fleece was a center for community and government activities. It was a place of great . . . — Map (db m39075) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The St. Jones River: Why the Mansion Faces South
The St. Jones River, a major Delaware navigable waterway, is situated south of the John Dickinson Plantation. The river connects the Delaware Bay to the inland city of Dover. Between 1760 and 1808, John Dickinson owned six farms that bordered the . . . — Map (db m79168) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Thomas Stevenson House
The brick house was built in 1846. The structures to the rear consist of three separate buildings dating from 1804. They are the original tenement and two outbuildings. The first was a summer kitchen and the latter, Sara Stevenson's (1850) two room . . . — Map (db m39099) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Timothy Hanson Housec. 1730
The Timothy Hanson House stood on this site until it was relocated in 2006. The front of the building, commissioned by the Delaware Association of REALTORS, for its headquarters in 2006, is a replica of the structure known as the Hanson house. The . . . — Map (db m39096) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Vietnam MemorialFallen Heroes
Robert P. Archer Jr., Donald Ray Bailey, Paul L. Berry, Bruch E. Clough, Toby Ernest Collins, George H. Coppage, III, George W. Cripps, Clifton Cubbage, Bruce E. Dolbow, Robert H. Donaway, Harold W. Haddick, Jan Victor Henrickson, Lawrence E. . . . — Map (db m51117) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-71 — Wesley College
Wesley College is a private, liberal arts college affiliated with the United Methodist Church. It was founded in 1873 as Wilmington Conference Academy, a preparatory school for boys under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Female . . . — Map (db m39063) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-79 — Wesley United Methodist Church
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the establishment of a Methodist society in Dover in 1778. Land on North Street was obtained in 1782, and a brick chapel was completed there in 1784. Bishops Francis Asbury and Richard Whatcoat, . . . — Map (db m39100) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Woodburn
Part of a tract of 3,000 acres granted to John Hillyard by William Penn, March 7, 1683. His great-grandson, Charles Hillyard, built this mansion and resided here with his wife, Mary, daughter of William Killen, first Chancellor of Delaware. . . . — Map (db m42761) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Woodburn: The Governor's House
This house was built for Charles Hillyard III ca. 1798. At the time, it was considered one of the grandest in Kent County. When Hillyard died in 1814, his son-in-law, Dr. Martin W. Bates purchased the house. Bates lived here with his wife Mary and . . . — Map (db m42796) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — World War II Memorial
1941 - 1945 Dedicated to the enduring memory of those of this community who gave their lives in World War II that we might achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

In Memoriam W. Kirk Baynard, . . . — Map (db m50622) HM


63 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement