Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Duncannon, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Clark's Ferry Bridge Company Marker image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, May 23, 2009
Clark's Ferry Bridge Company Marker
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Duncannon — Clark's Ferry Bridge Company
William Jennings - President Christian W. Lynch - Vice-president William Wills - Secretary Patrick F. Duncan - Treasurer Frank M. Masters - Chief Engineer Ralph Modjeski - Consulting Engineer Paul P. Cret - Consulting Architect The Vang . . . — Map (db m19710) HM
Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — 6 — Clark's Ferry Bridge

The Clark's Ferry Bridge was part of the Main Line Pennsylvania Canal built in 1828. Mules walked on a cantilevered walkway outside the structure and towed canal boats across the river. The dam below the bridge was known as Green's Dam and . . . — Map (db m119917) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — 10 — Clark's Ferry Tavern

The Clark's Ferry Tavern, the oldest building in Duncannon, was originally built by John or Daniel Clark as early as 1788 and later enlarged. It served vital roles as a docking point for the ferry crossing the Susquehanna River, an inn, tavern, . . . — Map (db m119883) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — Duncannon

Formerly "Petersburg" Renamed for Duncan Family Founded 1844 — Map (db m119885) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — Duncannon Area Schools — 1892 - 1955
. . . — Map (db m119888) HM
Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — 1 — Duncannon Iron Works

A large industrial complex existed from the base of the mountain to Little Juniata Creek known as the Duncannon Iron Works. A single iron forge was built in 1827 by Stephen Duncan and John Mahon. In 1832 it was operated by John Johnson & Co. . . . — Map (db m119941) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — 7 — Duncannon National Bank

Built in 1889, this was the first building in Perry County to be devoted exclusively to banking. The Duncannon National Bank was the first National Bank established in the county and started operations January 1, 1890. Its president was John . . . — Map (db m119949) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — Duncannon Presbyterian Church Annex — Built 1889

1889-1926 Duncannon National Bank 1926-1936 Perry Co. Telephone and Telegraph Company 1936-1963 The United Telephone Company of Penna. 1963- Duncannon Presbyterian Church — Map (db m119955) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — 4 — Duncannon Square

Once lined with shade trees and featuring a public fountain in the town green, the Duncannon Square has been the center of activity since the very beginning.

The square featured the National Hotel in the northwest corner and the Laird Hotel . . . — Map (db m119912) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — 2 — Entering Duncannon

The Wister Mansion was at the intersection of New Bloomfield Road and Main Street, now the location of the American Legion. It was the home of John Wister who at age 14 became an errand boy at the Duncannon Iron Works and rose to become its . . . — Map (db m119906) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — 3 — Entering Duncannon

On February 4, 1887 a charter was granted by the Commonwealth for the construction of the Perry County Railroad from Duncannon to New Bloomfield. On September 12, 1889 the first locomotive entered New Bloomfield. The Duncannon Station sat just . . . — Map (db m119908) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — First Sunday School In Perry County

• • In • • the Church at the Mouth of the Juniata the forerunner of the Duncannon Presbyterian Church • • the • • first Sunday School in Perry County was organized in 1821 and has had practically a continual existence . . . — Map (db m119953) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — Lightning Guider Sleds
Produced between 1904 and 1988 by the Standard Novelty Works, located here. In 1920 the plant was credited with producing more children's sleds than any other U.S. factory; its capacity was then 1,600 to 1,800 per day. The company also made . . . — Map (db m19711) HM
Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — Pennsylvania Canal — Juniata Division
This Division was built in 1828-33. It extended to the eastern end of the Allegheny Portage Railroad at Hollidaysburg, a distance of 127 miles. Just west of here, the Canal crossed the Juniata by an aqueduct which was used until 1901. Abutment and . . . — Map (db m19541) HM
Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — Pennsylvania Canal
This State-owned artificial water-way system, built 1826-1834, was designed to connect points like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Erie in a vast inland trade. It embraced six chief canal divisions and two railroads. Here the Susquehanna, Juniata, and . . . — Map (db m19708) HM
Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — Ross McHugh Hood — July 17, 1846. - July 1, 1863.

Killed at Battle of Gettysburg. Buried with Unknown Co. G, 149. Regt. Pa. Vol. — Map (db m119891) WM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — 5 — The Railroad in Duncannon

The railroad steamed into Duncannon in 1848 and was a major factor in the growth and development of the area. In the mid-1800s the railroad ran through the center of town on Apple Tree Alley. Around 1865 the earliest station was built at the . . . — Map (db m119919) HM

Pennsylvania (Perry County), Duncannon — Veterans Memorial

To Servicemen who served their country during all wars

To all Veterans who served — Map (db m119920) WM


18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.