Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Earleville, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Historical Photo of Bohemia Farm image, Touch for more information
By Michael O. Bourne, April 1970
Historical Photo of Bohemia Farm
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — BohemiaFormerly Milligan Hall
Home of George Milligan (1720–1783), Scotch trader, purchased from his son, Robert, by Louis McLane (1784–1857) who represented Delaware in the United States House and Senate, was Minister to Great Britain, Secretary of the Treasury, . . . — Map (db m1568) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Cherry Grove
Ancestral home of the DeVeazie (Veazey) family; patented to John Veazey circa 1670. His descendant, Colonel Thomas Ward Veazey defended Duffy’s Fort, Fredericktown, from the British fleet May 5, 1813, and served as Governor of Maryland, . . . — Map (db m1705) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Essex Lodge
Granted to Samuel Brocus, whose daughter Susannah married, circa 1700, Edward Veazey. Their son, Colonel John Veazey, Sr., was Chief Military Officer of Cecil County and a Justice and Judge for 22 years. His eldest son, Edward, was High Sheriff of . . . — Map (db m1703) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Hazelmore
Land originally granted to Phillip Calvert, Chancellor of Maryland, and wife, Anne, in 1658. Richard Low, gentleman of Virginia, purchased tract known as "Hazelmore" and adjacent land "The Grove" in 1665. Bought by Abraham Wild, trader and mariner . . . — Map (db m19448) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Hilltop ViewStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Mount Harmon offered a vantage point for events unfolding along the Sassafras May 6, 1813. Barges of British marines passed by en route to Georgetown and Fredericktown. As they returned, smoke rose in the skies behind them from the burning of both . . . — Map (db m96600) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — History QuestMount Harmon Plantation
The Sassafras River, stretching before you, provides a window into four centuries of history at Mount Harmon. Any number of historic events occurred within view of this spot.

European Exploration & Settlement Captain John Smith, the first . . . — Map (db m96626) HM

Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Mount Harmon PlantationTobacco Prize House and Wharf
Originally owned by Godfrey Harmon, then by James Paul Heath; subsequent to 1760 the home of James Louttit, Sr. and Jr., and Sidney George, Jr., Patriots. Vestrymen on St. Stephen’s Church, and contributors, 1782, to the original endowment of . . . — Map (db m1698) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Mount Harmon Plantation at World’s EndHistoric Tidewater Plantation & Nature Preserve
Welcome to Mount Harmon Plantation, one of Maryland’s premier historic sites. Comprising 200-acres of pristine open space, Mount Harmon features a restored 18th century manor house and plantation kitchen, a formal boxwood garden, a rare tobacco . . . — Map (db m90700) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Mount Harmon Plantation at World's End
Mount Harmon Plantation at World's End. A National Trust Historic House. The gift of Mrs. Harry Clark Boden IV in memory of James Louttit Sr. and his wife, Mary George who acquired the property in 1760 — Map (db m80616) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Mount Harmon Plantation at World's EndHistoric Tidewater Plantation & Nature Preserve
Welcome to Mount Harmon Plantation, one of Maryland's premier historic sites. Comprising 200-acres of pristine open space, Mount Harmon features a restored 18th century manor house and plantation kitchen, a formal boxwood garden, a rare tobacco . . . — Map (db m80617) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Mount Pleasant
Built by Dr. John Thompson Veasey, 1825, “of Mount Harmon” as he was known, who, with Colonel Thomas Ward Veasey assisted in the defense of Duffy’s Fort, 1813. He was a greatnephew of George Ross, signer of the Declaration of . . . — Map (db m1699) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — North Sassafras Parish(Episcopal)
Established by Act of Assembly in 1692. The first vestry met January 10, 1693 in the Court House at Ordinary Point. The Parish Church was “dedicated to the honor of Saint Stephen”, March 25, 1706. Rebuilt 1737, 1823 and 1873. — Map (db m1701) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — On the Wild SideMount Harmon Plantation
As you continue along the Pond Trail, keep a look out for deer, eagles, great blue herons, owls, ducks, geese, foxes beaver and osprey. The fields wooded areas, ponds and marshes at Mount Harmon attract an array of wildlife.

The Chesapeake Bay . . . — Map (db m96625)

Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Original Vestry House Memorial
This memorial preserves the site of the original vestry house. 1731-1737 — Map (db m137590) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Plantation Life in the Colonial EraMount Harmon Plantation
Plantation Life In the colonial era Mount Harmon was a working plantation. A community of people lived at Mount Harmon during the 18th century including the landowners, indentured servants, slaves, and tradespeople. Inventories from the Heath . . . — Map (db m90702) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Rose Hill
Home of General Thomas Marsh Forman (1758–1845), Aide to General William Alexander, known as Lord Stirling, and a representative in the General Assembly, 1790 and 1800. He served with Major George Armistead, Fort McHenry, 1814. A later owner, . . . — Map (db m1697) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — St. Francis Xavier Church“Old Bohemia” — 2 Miles → —
Founded 1704 by Rev. Thomas Mansell, S.J., one of the earliest permanent Catholic establishments in the English Colonies. Bohemia Academy Founded 1745 by Rev. Thomas Pulton, S.J. attended by Charles Carroll of Carrollton, a signed of the . . . — Map (db m1572) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — St. Peters Episcopal Church BellFrom Cecilton Chapel Belfry
This Bell hung in the Cecilton Chapel belfry for many years. During the winter months it was rung each Sunday morning at service time. When the warm weather returned, services resumed here. With the demolition of the Chapel, the bell was stored . . . — Map (db m68037) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — The Anchorage
Home of the Lusbys in the early 1700’s. Ruth Lusby and Commodore Jacob Jones married in 1821. Made the Anchorage their home and enlarged it in 1835. Jones served on the “Philadelphia” when it ran aground at Tripoli and commanded the . . . — Map (db m1567) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — The Sassafras RiverGateway to the Chesapeake Bay
About the Sassafras River The Sassafras River is a popular destination for recreation, boating, fishing and waterfowl. The Sassafras River is over 20 miles long and provides critical habitat wildlife and is an important flyway for migrating . . . — Map (db m90723) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Tobacco and Mount Harmon
Colonial Tobacco Trade Before you stands a crop of tobacco planted to reflect the historic tobacco trade that flourished at Mount Harmon in the colonial era. Tobacco was an important cash crop that helped build early American settlements, and . . . — Map (db m90697) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — WoodlawnFormerly "Neighbour’s Grudge"
The 305 acre farm of William Ward. He gave a tract called “North Levell” on which stands St. Stephen’s Church. His descendant, Henry Veazey Ward, was Consul General for the Republic of Chile. Another, Juliana Veazey Ward, married Dr. . . . — Map (db m1696) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement