24 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in East Lansing
East Lansing, Michigan and Vicinity
▶ Ingham County (108) ▶ Clinton County (6) ▶ Eaton County (24) ▶ Jackson County (30) ▶ Livingston County (30) ▶ Shiawassee County (25)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
The first women at the Michigan Agricultural College enrolled in 1896 in the "women's course," taught by Edith F. McDermott, Professor of Domestic Economy and Household Science. In 1899, the Michigan Legislature . . . — — Map (db m106835) HM|
The Alice B. Cowles House, built in 1857, is the oldest building on the Michigan State University campus. Built as a "Farm Cottage" on Faculty Row from bricks made of clay from the banks of the Red Cedar River, it was originally the . . . — — Map (db m106907) HM|
|By 1986 this Greek Revival house was the only privately-owned pre-Civil War house still used as a residence in East Lansing. Horace Bigelow (c. 1822-1891) built it in 1849. According to the 1874 Atlas of Ingham County, Bigelow was "a farmer, . . . — — Map (db m106962) HM|
At this location, near the W.J. Beal Botanical Garden (1873), the Botanical Laboratory stood from 1879 until it burned on March 20, 1890. Watson and Arnold of Lansing designed this Gothic-inspired, wooden structure as the first botanical . . . — — Map (db m106817) HM|
In 1900 about 625 students attended the State Agricultural College, known commonly as M.A.C. The school was the precursor to Michigan State University. Making a new commitment to serious intercollegiate athletic competition, the . . . — — Map (db m106931) HM|
In 1849 when D. Robert Burcham settled in this vicinity, Chippewa and Ottawa Indians lived along the Red Cedar River. Burcham journeyed here on the Indian trail that became the Grand River Road, also known as the Lansing-Howell . . . — — Map (db m102977) HM|
Elected to the State Board of Agriculture in 1919, Dora Hall Stockman was the first woman to hold an elective office in the state of Michigan. She was the first woman in the United States to be on the Board of Control of a Land-Grant Institution, . . . — — Map (db m107365) HM|
|Famous horticulturist and educator, Liberty Hyde Bailey, designed this building as the first separate horticulture laboratory in America. Completed in 1888, the structure contained rooms for classes and botanical experiments. It exemplified Bailey's . . . — — Map (db m106911) HM|
| This plaque marks the former site of the MSU Judging Pavilion, built in 1938 and replaced by the Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education in 1997. For nearly 60 years, the Judging Pavilion was dedicated to the advancement of Michigan's . . . — — Map (db m133795) HM|
When completed in 1909, Agriculture Hall was the grandest structure at what that year officially became known as Michigan Agricultural College. Invoking antiquity with its massive concrete Tuscan columns and neoclassical . . . — — Map (db m106832) HM|
|Local Masons organized in 1915 and promptly hired Lansing architect, Samuel D. Butterworth, a fellow Mason, to design a meeting hall. Butterworth rejected the practice of designing Masonic halls as elaborate classical temples, and instead blended . . . — — Map (db m102986) HM|
|In 1920 the Michigan Automotive Trade Association was founded in Detroit. On May 19, 1921, the group was incorporated, with the following officers: G.S. Garber, President: H.H. Shuart Secretary; and Clark Graves, Treasurer. The association's purpose . . . — — Map (db m102983) HM|
Michigan State Medical Society
In 1819 five physicians organized the Michigan Medical Society in Detroit. Its purpose was "to examine medical students and certify those so deemed as doctors." The group reorganized in Ann Arbor as the . . . — — Map (db m102984) HM|
On this site stood College Hall, first building in the United States erected for the teaching of scientific agriculture. Here began the first college of its kind in America, and the model for Land-Grant colleges established under the Morrill Act . . . — — Map (db m106921) HM|
Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin
Affectionately known as Father Mac, the Reverend Monsignor Jerome V. MacEachin (1904-1987) was associated with Lansing area Catholics for nearly 45 years. A native of Ubly, he was ordained in 1932. Father Mac . . . — — Map (db m102974) HM|
On May 14, 2011, Michigan State University and Spartan Athletics formally dedicated Secchia Stadium in recognition of the outstanding generosity displayed by Joan (Education '64) and Peter F. (Economics '63) Secchia.
Long-time supporters of . . . — — Map (db m133667) HM|
The small depression between Beaumont Tower and the Music Practice Building, known today as Sleepy Hollow, is the last vestige of a small, spring-fed brook entering the campus from the north and draining into the Red . . . — — Map (db m106834) HM|
On this site stood
The Livestock Judging Pavilion
For six decades, from 1938 to 1997, the Livestock Judging Pavilion served as a focal point for many activities within the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. At this site, . . . — — Map (db m133817) HM|
The Agricultural College of the State of Michigan was founded on February 12, 1855, as a bold experiment in higher education. The College opened the doors of higher education to the common man - and, later, woman - . . . — — Map (db m106820) HM|
On May 3, 1996, the bells of Beaumont Tower rang again after having been silenced by wear and tear since 1987. Spartans everywhere rejoiced. In July 1995, the MSU Board of Trustees approved a renovation plan for the tower and carillon.
A . . . — — Map (db m106923) HM|
(Plaque on Statue Base)
Leonard D. Jungwirth (American, 1903-1963)
MSU faculty member, Department of Art, 1940-1963
Original terra cotta sculpture, 1945
Bronze cast from original, 2005
Dedicated on October 8, 2005
In 1926 . . . — — Map (db m107358) HM|
Botany pioneer William James Beal was born March 11, 1833 in Adrian, Michigan. Taking up teaching after earning degrees from the University of Michigan, Harvard University, and the University of Chicago, he was named . . . — — Map (db m106792) HM|
|Walter Adams (1922-1998), master teacher and one of the foremost antitrust economists of his generation, served from April 1, 1969, until January 1, 1970, as 13th President of Michigan State University. Prolific author and frequent witness before . . . — — Map (db m107335) HM|
In 1870, what was then called State Agricultural College admitted its first 10 women, offering them the same physically and academically demanding courses offered to men.
The Women's Building was completed on . . . — — Map (db m106818) HM|