Bennett. G. Clark and Sarah W. Clark deeded this land to William Rust, John H. Cornish, John R. Hampton, and William H. Hines, trustees of El Dorado Female Institute, in 1847. May 7, 1858 Albert Rust deeded additional land to Robert Goodwin. . . . — — Map (db m121358) HM
In honor of the brave
Americans who served
and those that gave
their lives on behalf
of a grateful nation
August 2, 1990 — February 28, 1991
March 20, 2003 — December . . . — — Map (db m121766) WM
Within a few short months El Dorado's population doubled, and, before the year
was out, it doubled again before peaking two years later at over 40,000. With the
population explosion came oilmen from Louisiana and Texas, but along with them
on . . . — — Map (db m121352) HM
On January 10th, 1921, shortly after 4:00 P.M., on a cold January day, a
deafening roar from a drilling rig one mile west of El Dorado announced the
discovery of oil in Arkansas. Dr. Samuel Busey brought in the Armstrong #1
as an earthshaking, . . . — — Map (db m121350) HM
A little over a year after the initial oil discovery by Dr. Busey, the Oil
Operators Trust--Murphy #1, a wildcat well staked on a geologic feature
called the Norphlet dome, drilled into the gas-cap of what would become the
huge Smackover Oil . . . — — Map (db m121356) HM
During the oil boom numerous individuals, or wildcatters, made their mark on
the South Arkansas scene. H. L. Hunt, at one time the richest man in the world,
opened a barrelhouse on Hamburger Row, made his financial stake there, and
then . . . — — Map (db m121357) HM
• Marshal Guy Tucker (1) argues with Walter (2) and Tom (3) Parnell at east gate of
courthouse fence. Tucker draws pistol and covers them.
• Jim Parnell (4) approaches fence and Tucker warns him not to get behind him.
• Harrison Dearing (5) . . . — — Map (db m121343) HM
Marshal Guy B. Tucker, Constable Harrison
Dearing, and other supporters, faced the four
Parnell Brothers, Jim, Mat, Tom, and Walter.
Killed Constable Harrison Dearing.
Killed Walter Parnell.
Killed Tom Parnell.
Wounded Dr. Robert . . . — — Map (db m121342) HM
This marks the site of the second court house built in Union County. Completed May 1st, 1848. The spot was originally a pond where ducks gathered in season. Emigrants in search of home sites frequently camped alongs its banks. It was filled in under . . . — — Map (db m121292) HM