On Sept. 25, 1864 Gen. N.B. Forrest's Confederate cavalry, with Morton's battery of 4 guns, attacked and captured the Union fort near here. The fort consisted of a square redoubt, rifle pits, two blockhouses, and some frame buildings. It protected a . . . — — Map (db m60870) HM
Train #3 southbound, circa 1913. The wye (turnaround) is visible on the right. Because trains traveled with only one engine in the early railroad days and the tracks further south were under construction, a wye was necessary at Elkmont for . . . — — Map (db m93859) HM
01: Looking south on Railroad Street.
02: McWilliams Store, June 1913.
03: Drugstore interior, 1940s.
04: Citizens' Bank, early 1900s.
05: Elkmont Post Office, circa 1900s.
06: Telephone switchboard, early 1900s.
07: Elkmont Post . . . — — Map (db m93856) HM
Limestone County High School (grades 9-12) was established in 1912. Money for the building, nearly $10,000, was obtained from three sources: the sale of property of an old Elkmont Elementary School, state funds, and private donations. Honored and . . . — — Map (db m93851) HM
Front The earliest settlers to this area moved across the Chickasaw boundary before 1810 and established the Sims and New Garden settlements. The area came to be known as Elkmont, for the once abundant elk, the Elk River and the "mount" on . . . — — Map (db m85426) HM
Old New Garden Cemetery
This cemetery is one of the oldest in Limestone County and is listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Many of the areas earliest settlers are buried here including Patsy Elmore, widow of a . . . — — Map (db m73836) HM
Simeon Corder is said to have contracted with George Hamilton to build the mill and operate it for him in 1909. The contract was sealed with no more than a handshake. After Corder's death in 1923, his widow sold the mill to Aubrey Todd, who sold it . . . — — Map (db m93847) HM
Side A (North side) In the fall of 1806 a group of settlers led by William and James Sims, traveled from east Tennessee on flatboats down the Tennessee River and up the Elk River to this area. They landed near Buck Island and spread out . . . — — Map (db m85454) HM