Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ellicott City, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Remains of trolley trestle with Ellicott's Mills Marker. image, Touch for more information
By Christopher Busta-Peck, September 7, 2007
Remains of trolley trestle with Ellicott's Mills Marker.
Maryland (Baltimore County), Ellicott City — Ellicott’s Mills
Established 1772 by the three Ellicott brothers from Bucks County, Pennsylvania. They opened the road from here to Baltimore. The B. and O. R. R. was completed to this point May 20, 1830. — Map (db m175) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — “Great Panes”Ca. 1860
Originally owned by Thomas McCrea, by 1887 sewing machines and notions were sold here. Later home to Goldberg’s Store, among others, including Caplan’s Dept. Store during its 1925 renovations. Stucco was added to the 3-story brick and stone building . . . — Map (db m111761) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Andrew Ellicott
‹Andrew Ellicott› was born in Bucks Co., Pennsylvania, 1st month, 22nd, 1733; to which place his grandfather emigrated from near Falmouth, England about the year 1700. Soon after his marrying to ‹Mary Fox›, Andrew moved from his mills . . . — Map (db m112433) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — B&O Railroad StationKeep Supplies Moving
One of the first railroads in the country, constructed in 1830 of wooden rails that carried horse-drawn cars, extended from Baltimore to Ellicott's Mills. This station was built the next year, and soon steel rails replaced wooden ones as the . . . — Map (db m29961) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Baltimore Regional TrailA House Divided — War on the Chesapeake Bay —
During the Civil War, Baltimore and its environs exemplified the divided loyalties of Maryland's residents. The city had commercial ties to the South as well as the North, and its secessionist sympathies erupted in violence on April 19, 1861, when . . . — Map (db m192) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Day-French-Puhl HouseCa 1842
Day, a master stone mason, purchased this lot from the Ellicotts an built this federal style home, one of the oldest brick structures in the district. Rear and side additions were prior to 1887. Later home to the French’s for many years, then . . . — Map (db m112257) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Decatur DorseyCivil War Hero
Howard County native Decatur Dorsey was one of only sixteen African American soldiers to received the Medal of Honor for courage under fire during the Civil War. Sgt. Dorsey, of Company B, 39th United States Colored Troops, earned his medal at the . . . — Map (db m5756) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Disney’s TavernCa. 1790
Deborah Disney ran her tavern, a popular gathering place for men, on this site from 1840-1862. The building continued as a tavern thought the late 19th century. Later a fabric store, women's boutique, and antique bookstore, it is one of the oldest . . . — Map (db m111737) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — During the Civil War
During the Civil War, Union troops stationed here guarded the viaduct against destruction by southern forces. The viaduct stands today as originally built, 612 feet long, 28 feet wide, and curving in a graceful four degree arc across the Patapsco. . . . — Map (db m73577) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Ellicott City Station, 1831The B&O Railroad Museum
The Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad's Ellicott City complex was the heart and soul of a bustling industrial and agricultural community once known as Ellicott’s Mills. The railroad built several structures on or near the site, including Oliver . . . — Map (db m112255) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Ellicott City Volunteer Fire Department
. . . — Map (db m20589) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Ellicott’s MillsA Town Divided
By the 1850s, a prosperous community was located here around the Ellicott family gristmills and ironworks established in the 1770s. When the Civil War began in 1861, the town's population exceeded 2,000. Although the mill workers and merchants of . . . — Map (db m37545) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Ellicott’s Upper Mills1775
Joseph Ellicott (who with his brothers Andrew and John had established Ellicott’s Lower Mills, now Ellicott City, on the Patapsco River in 1772) built the Upper Mills and his home on “Fountaindale” near this spot in 1775. Remaining . . . — Map (db m3185) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Fells Lane Community
You are standing at the site of the historic African American neighborhood of Fells Lane. The homes were demolished n the 1970s, and the street renamed Fels, after community activists fought for the construction of a new neighborhood. This . . . — Map (db m111831) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Fire House AnnexCa 1963
By 1963 the fire station’s larger and more modern equipment required more space. This building annex was erected in order to provide the needed overflow storage unit relocation to the new Fire Station on Montgomery Road in 1997. This building, along . . . — Map (db m111804) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Friends Meeting House and Graveyard
After founding the town of Ellicotts Mills in 1772, the Ellicott brothers established this burying ground in 1795 and built the adjacent Friends Meeting House in 1800. — Map (db m112272) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Howard County Courthouse, 1843:National Park Service Underground Railroad — Network to Freedom —
The 1843 Howard County Courthouse, Located on Court Avenue in the Historic District of Ellicott City, Maryland, was the location for judicial proceedings related to legal cases involving those charged with encouraging enslaved persons to run away. . . . — Map (db m111703) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Howard County Jail, 1851:National Park Service Underground Railroad — Network to Freedom —
The Howard County Jail, located at 1 Emory Street, in the Historic District of Ellicott City, Maryland, was the location where freedom seekers and those charged with encouraging enslaved persons to run away or rise up against their masters or . . . — Map (db m111721) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Hunt's General Store & Millinery ShopCa 1840
Three homes, built in simple cut stone and frame style, on lots purchased in the 1834 lottery. In the 1840's the Hunt siblings used the lower sections as a millinery shop and dry goods/grocery story, using the large display window. Later uses: a . . . — Map (db m87427) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — John Ellicott
‹John Ellicott›, brother of Andrew, born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, 12th month, 28th, 1739 and removed with his brother Andrew from their mills in Bucks Co., 5th month, 16th, 1771, ‹to Baltimore County, Maryland› Here they built mills . . . — Map (db m112434) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — John Williams HouseCa 1835
This three-story frame home was built by John Williams, who won the lot in the 1834 land lottery. Later owners included Henry Wooten, a prominent lawyer and Confederate Civil War veteran. The building was remodeled after Hurricane Agnes in the . . . — Map (db m87392) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Jonathan Ellicott BuildingCa 1839

Built by Jonathan Ellicott, John Day used this building as a store and a home in the 1850s. Dr. Thomas B. Owings moved here after death of his wife and six of his children in the 1868 flood. More recently this building has housed many dentists, . . . — Map (db m98461) HM

Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — MaryLandscapes
The Bay is part of a vast interconnected ecosystem. Everything done on land affects the Bay and the plants and animals that live there. Who is affected by the health of the Chesapeake Bay? The 48 major rivers, 100 smaller rivers, and . . . — Map (db m149) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Mill Town HistoryDaniels, Maryland
You now stand in front of Gary Memorial United Methodist Church, one of the remaining structures built during an era when the mill towns not only produced the commerce of trade, but also developed communities that would shape the lives of . . . — Map (db m71332) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Miller ChevroletCa 1930
In the 1930’s Charles Miller built a new showroom for his Chevrolet dealership here before relocating to Route 40. In 1968 Stromberg Publishing consolidated its offices, warehouse and printing operation here for its Ellicott City then Howard County . . . — Map (db m111834) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Mount Idaca 1828
William Ellicott commissioned architect N. G. Starkweather and builder C. Timanus to build this home of rubble stone, stuccoed in old Maryland Gold. In the 1850's. Home to Judge John Snowden Tyson, whose surviving maiden daughter Ida lived here . . . — Map (db m74280) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — New Fire Station & Transit Terminal

In 1939 this new brick, two-story fire house was built. Fire Department historian B H Shipley, Jr and bride resided on the 2nd floor for seven years. It was also a trolley terminal. The HoCo Volunteer Fire Dept. operated here until 1997, when . . . — Map (db m98462) HM

Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Old Court House, 1840:National Park Service Underground Railroad — Network to Freedom —
The first Howard County Courthouse, located in the historic district of Ellicott City Maryland, was a pre-existing structure rented by the Howard District Commissioners from George Ellicott in 1840 to house judicial proceedings of the new Howard . . . — Map (db m111783) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Old Stone Tavern HouseWayside Inn   Ca 1780
This building has had many important uses, such as Old Patapsco Hotel, Granite Manufacturing Co., Town Hall/Opera House, Provost Marshall's Office (Civil War), Patapsco Enterprise Office/Howard Gazette, Oddfellows Lodge, Rodey's Amusea/Emporium. . . . — Map (db m87553) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Patapsco Female InstituteClasses and Camps
The stabilized ruin above you - the Patapsco Female Institute - served the young ladies of the North and South from 1837 to 1891. Amelia Hart Lincoln Phelps, a renowned author and educator, headed the school between 1841 and 1855. Concerned with the . . . — Map (db m74252) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Road Versus RailsThe Rivalry Begins — The Historic National Road - The Road That Built The Nation —
Ellicott City’s Main Street is the National Pike, part of the road system that moved Americans west. Only two decades after the road was constructed, a new transportation rival appeared. In 1831, America’s first railroad, the Baltimore & Ohio, . . . — Map (db m720) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Rosenstock Building
This building replaces the popular early 20th century Rosenstock’s Department Store. The original three buildings joined by a single front were destroyed by a November 1999 fire. Historic Ellicott Properties, Inc. commissioned Architect Greg . . . — Map (db m111764) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Second Patapsco Bank BuildingCa 1886
The last lot won in the 1834 land lottery, then sold to the Patapsco Bank in 1886, which built this Romanesque Revival building to house the Second Patapsco Bank. At one period modernized, it was restored to its original design in the 1970's by . . . — Map (db m87391) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — St. John’s Episcopal Church
A chapel of ease of Queen Caroline parish, established 1728. Incorporated by Maryland General Assembly, 1822. Consecrated 1823 by Bishop James Kemp. Original land, “Dorsey’s Heaven,” deeded to church by Caleb and Elizabeth Dorsey. . . . — Map (db m3341) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Starr Funeral HomeCa. 1887
In 1887, a two-story frame print shop was situated on this site. In 1919, Scott Starr purchased the building for use as a funeral home, and also offered autos “for hire”. A new brick addition was added and the frame structure renovated. . . . — Map (db m111736) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Sunflower Churchca 1837

Samuel Ellicott deeded this lot in 1837, and it is the fourth oldest Methodist Church in continuous use in the county. The stained glass and painted windows were added during renovations in 1887. The nickname derives from the pattern of the . . . — Map (db m98460) HM

Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Taylor’sCa. 1924
After the 1915 fire, Irving Taylor built this new building, the fourth location for the business, which grew from jewelry and optometry to music boxes, then home appliances which at that time use motors powered by generators. In 1970 Marvin L. Sachs . . . — Map (db m111763) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Taylor's Row
This row of 19th century utilitarian structures has been the architectural orphan of Ellicott City. Referred to on early maps as barns or sheds, these buildings were built between 1830 and 1870 to serve the livery trade. Because of their relative . . . — Map (db m8110) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — The Firehouse Museum
This building was erected in 1889 as the town’s first fire department. It served as a working fire station from that date until 1923. Subsequent usage included: Utilization as a meeting hall for the Mayor and City Council of Ellicott . . . — Map (db m55388) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — The Howard House HotelCa 1840
Built by J. Shipley then twice auctioned. In 1879 sold to the Eckert's who served such popular food that the hotel was later enlarged. The public was allowed to take a shortcut through the hotel which led them to the upper street and court house. . . . — Map (db m87547) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — The Lauman HouseCa 1800
Among the oldest homes in EC, after the turn of the century owned by the Kraft’s, among others. After the 1972 flood, restored by Alda Baptiste Castaldi, who operated a specialty dress shop here for 30 years. Then during renovations for the Obladi . . . — Map (db m111734) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — The National Road
This marker stands on a part of the right of way of the historic and fabled National, or Cumberland Road. Commencing in 1806 it was built in segments by city, state, federal, and private means and was the first great commercial and travel link from . . . — Map (db m131) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — The Odd Fellows LodgeCa 1848
This building, originally a harness shop, was purchased by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1863 for approximately $2,000. It has been in continuous use by the Order ever since. Architecturally and historically significant, this 3-1/2 story, . . . — Map (db m87500) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — The Patapsco Female Institute
The Patapsco Female Institute (PFI), located on Church Road with a commanding view of Ellicott City, was one of the most famous and prestigious schools for girls in 19th century America. The school officially opened its doors in 1837 under Reverend . . . — Map (db m74239) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — The Patapsco National BankCa 1905
Built in the Neo-Colonial Style with doric columns and large squared corner stones for a sense of banking stability. Elegant interior was especially known for its attractive room for ladies, complete with fireplace, desks " and adjoining toilet . . . — Map (db m87347) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — The Phoenix EmporiumCA 1858
Long home to purveyors of libations, this lot, once owned by the family of cabinet makers Barnard Fort, was part of the 1834 land lottery. O'Brien's Saloon, Fissell's, Valmas Brothers Inn and the Phoenix Emporium have occupied this corner and . . . — Map (db m73223) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — The Road to ProsperityEllicott's Mills
Ellicott City’s Main Street, with its businesses, shops and dining establishments, reflects four centuries of prosperity built through hard work, innovation and the connection to economic opportunity. In 1771, the Patapsco River Valley was a . . . — Map (db m111798) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — The Sykes Buildingca. 1895
This building was originally the home and dental office of Doctor Mordecai Gist Sykes. Dr. Sykes was a prominent local businessman who served two terms as Ellicott City’s Mayor (1889-1897). The Building has since housed state and local county . . . — Map (db m111709) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — To Preserve the Union
Dedicated to the men from Howard County who fought To preserve the Union during the American Civil War from 1861 to 1865 Union Units with companies raised in Howard County during the war: The Patapsco Guards, Independent . . . — Map (db m111813) WM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Turntable & TrackEllicott City Station
The single set of tracks outside the museum’s fence was the original right-of-way of the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad. Now owned by CSX Transportation, this right-of-way has been in continuous use since 1830. For many years there were two sets of . . . — Map (db m112291) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Walker-Chandler HouseCa 1790
Originally a private residence, this 3-1/2 story granite block structure is built into solid rock and on a slope such that the entire first floor forms the foundation. The building has housed Kinsey's bookmaking shop, a tavern, the American Red . . . — Map (db m87551) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Wootton Law OfficesCirca 1869
Built for Henry Edgar Wootton, Esquire (1837-1894), this is the oldest of the professional buildings which now comprise Ellicott City’s Lawyers’ Row. Constructed on a 28’ 4” square native granite foundation, it is located on the solid . . . — Map (db m111839) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Word Wars I, II and Korea Memorial
In Memory of The Citizens of Howard County Who Served in World Wars I and II And The Korean Conflict Erected by V.F.W. Post No. 7472 Ellicott City Lions Club Ellicott City Rotary Club — Map (db m111705) WM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Yates Market & Hardware8247 Ca 1850's       8249 Ca 1922
In 1905 SJ Yates opened his grocery store at 8247, formerly a home from the mid 1800’s. He used a model T truck to make free home deliveries. In 1925 he move to his newly-constructed building at 8249. In 1938 his grandson, Bladen, opened a hardware . . . — Map (db m111715) HM

54 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement