Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Fairmount Heights, Maryland Historical Markers

 
72-09-17 Samuel Hargrove House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, July 4, 2018
72-09-17 Samuel Hargrove House Marker
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-17 Samuel Hargrove House — 5907 K Street — Historic Resource, Built 1918
The Hargrove House was built In the North Fairmount Heights subdivision, platted in 1910. It was built by brick mason Samuel Hargrove. It is an unusual dwelling form, with molded brick detail and is probably unique in Prince George's County. It is . . . — Map (db m119876) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-29 Fairmount Heights Elementary School — 737 61st Avenue — Historic Site, Built 1912
The Fairmount Heights Elementary School is one of the largest buildings in the community. Before its construction, classes were held in nearby Charity Hall (715 61st Avenue). in early 1911, a group of residents approached the Prince George’s County . . . — Map (db m119825) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-29 World War II Monument — 701 59th Avenue — Historic Site, Erected 1946
The World War II Monument was erected to honor the citizens of Fairmount Heights who served in the armed forces during World War II. In the early years of the Fairmount Heights community, this small park was the property of the Reverend Joshua . . . — Map (db m119737) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-32 John S. Johnson House — 612 60th Place — Historic Resource, Built 1911
The John S. Johnson House is a cross-gabled frame dwelling built on large lots or groups of lots in developing subdivisions of the early twentieth century. It was built in 1911 for John S. Johnson, who settled in Fairmount Heights a few years . . . — Map (db m120381) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-33 Henry Pinckney House — 608 60th Place — Historic Resource, Built, c. 1905
The Pinkney House is representative of the American Foursquare, a popular dwelling type with a square floor plan. The Henry Pinckney House is a large two-story dwelling with a hip roof pierced by gable dormers on three-planes of the roof. The . . . — Map (db m120077) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-35 Cornelius Fonville House — 602 60th Place — Historic Site, Built in 1912
The Fonville House represents the foursquare houses popular in the early twentieth century. It was one of the largest houses during the early development of the Fairmount Heights community. It was built by Cornelius Fonville, who worked as a . . . — Map (db m120290) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-36 Doswell Brooks House — 6107 Foote Street — Historic Resources, Built 1928
The Doswell Brooks House was built in 1928 in the Mount Wisener subdivision of Fairmount Heights; the third subdivision to be platted in the community. It was built for Doswell and Anita Brooks. The house is a small bungalow, representative of a . . . — Map (db m122146) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-38 Charity Hall — 715 61st Avenue — Documented Property, Built c. 1908
Charity Hall, although drastically altered from its original form, is an important historic feature of the Fairmount Heights community. The main block of the building was constructed by the Fairmount Heights Mutual Improvement Company to serve as a . . . — Map (db m120037) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-39 Robert S. Nichols House — 802 58th Avenue — Historic Resource, Built c. 1908
The Robert S. Nichols House was one of the community's most beautiful and substantial houses. Built in 1908 by John F. Collins, who sold the house and two lots in 1909 to Robert S. Nichols. Nichols moved to Maryland from Texas, and worked in the U. . . . — Map (db m119907) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-40 Sylvan Vista Baptist Church — 1103 60th Avenue — Documented Property, Built in 1925
The first service of the Sylvan Baptist Church was held on the first Sunday in July, 1925, under a brush harbor on this site. The church was organized with six Baptist believers in Christ. Deacons Earl Luckett, John Lane, William Lane, Ambrose . . . — Map (db m125050) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-41 Bungalow Row — 62nd Avenue Between Foote Street and Addison Road — Documented Properties, Built Circa 1920
In 1920, developer Robinson White built 19 small frame bungalows of identical form and style on Fairview (now 62nd Avenue). This area was the original Fairmount Heights Subdivision. These houses closely resembled the “Rosita” style of . . . — Map (db m120729) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-42 Municipal Center Site — The Site of the Original Town Hall and Municipal Center — 717 60th Place Documented Property, Built 1942
The Fairmount Heights Municipal Center was constructed as a fire hall; it later served as a health clinic, library, general meeting space and, most importantly, as the town hall. The lots on which it stood were purchased by the town between 1939 and . . . — Map (db m122206) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — First Baptist Church — 806 58th Avenue — Erected 1913
First Baptist Church is the oldest church in the Town of Fairmount Heights. It was the meeting place for all of the town’s first activities. It was organized by Reverend Strothers. The church was erected in 1913. Funded By the Maryland . . . — Map (db m120152) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — In Honor of the Men and Women of Fairmount Heights who Served in World War II
[Marker page title is text]Map (db m119735) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — The Masonic Lodge No. 92 / The Columbine Chapter No. 46 — 5501 Addison Road — Historic Resource circa 1940
The Fairmount Heights No. 92 F.A.A.M Maryland Jurisdiction received their charter in 1928 with Andrew Knox, W.M. George Henderson, Jr. W. Edward Patterson, Sr. W. James A. Campbell, Secretary and George W. Patterson, Treasurer. The Lodge building . . . — Map (db m120313) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — Trammell-Taylor House — 717 59th Avenue — Historic Resource, Built circa 1910
The Trammell-Taylor House was one of the most substantial houses in the early development of Fairmount Heights. The house is a two-and-one-half story, side gabled, wood frame dwelling with Classical Revival decorative details. Above the entry porch . . . — Map (db m119837) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — William Sidney Pittman and Portia Washington Pittman House Site — 505 Eastern Avenue — Historic Site 1907-2013
The Pittman House was designed and built as a family home by architect William Sidney Pittman in 1907, the year in which he married Portia, daughter of the his former mentor Booker T. Washington. Pittman (1875-1958) attended Tuskegee Institute in . . . — Map (db m119806) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.