Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Fairport, New York Historical Markers

 
"Old" South Main Street Yields to Urban Renewal Marker image, Touch for more information
By Anton Schwarzmueller, March 22, 2018
"Old" South Main Street Yields to Urban Renewal Marker
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — "Old" South Main Street Yields to Urban Renewal
"Old" South Main Street Yields to Urban Renewal Commercial block changes from necessities to niceities. South Main Street circa 1915. South Main Street circa 1950. South Main Street circa 1970. Nineteenth century commercial buildings . . . — Map (db m115447) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Abner Wight Home
Abner Wight Home Built by Abner Wight 1794 moved here from Wight farm across road. First white child to survive born here. Later home of Col. Howard. — Map (db m115341) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — American Can Company
Sanitary can developed on this site by G.W. Cobb in 1904 — Map (db m57772) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Baird Road
Historic District Site of 1800's farming community. First Perinton subdivision. R.S. & E. Trolley Stop — Map (db m65108) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Burying Ground
Opened 1826 by Fairport Burying Ground Society. In 1890 reorganized as Greenvale Cemetery. Early settlers buried here. — Map (db m57741) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Center Cemetery
Early burial ground established 1813 on land given by Lyman Barker — Map (db m57682) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — D. Marsh Field
Site of town's first Little League Baseball field. Dedicated to P. David Marsh on June 8, 1953. — Map (db m65119) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — De Land Chemical Co.
Site of Saleratus Works established 1852 by the De Land family. The product which sold internationally helped develop Fairport. — Map (db m57739) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Erie Canal Inn
Erected at Fullamtown 1822 by Elisha Fullan. Housed 1st Perinton Post Office. Moved here 1850. Site if the 1st Fairport Library. — Map (db m57769) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Fairport Village Hall
Fairport Village Hall The timeless sentinel of South Main Street. Fairport Municipal Building circa 1908. Fairport Municipal Building circa 1933. The Village Hall, or Municipal Building, was built in 1906 as Perinton's Town Hall at a . . . — Map (db m115454) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Fullam's Basin
Early rival of Fairport. Named for Elisha Fullam. From this settlement Erie Canal passengers often took stage to Rochester. — Map (db m65106) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Hamlet of Egypt
Historic District Site of 1st town meeting Stagecoach and trolley stop Farming & canning center — Map (db m61903) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Hart's Woods
Has been designated a National Natural Landmark This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of the environment — Map (db m57738) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — New York State CanalsThe Great American Canal
The Erie Canal was the most important of America’s inland waterways. It facilitated the opening of the American frontier and provided a route west for tens of thousands of settlers and immigrants. Villages, towns, and cities were born along its . . . — Map (db m65107) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Old Erie Canal1825-1975
150th Anniversary commemorated Sept. 1975 — Map (db m57770) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — Spice Mill
Near this site in 1883, the R.T. French Co. began milling spices. A fire in 1885 destroyed the plant causing move to Rochester. — Map (db m57773) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — The 20th Century Comes to South Main Street
The 20th Century Comes to South Main Street. A neighborhood changes with the times. Pure Oil gas station circa 1960. Hupp Motors circa 1930. Schine's Temple Theater circa 1927. Dr. Tubbs' house and office circa 1910. Church Motors circa 1953. . . . — Map (db m115448) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — The DeLand Family Develops Fairport's Four Corners
The DeLand Family Develops Fairport's Four Corners. The Green Lantern Inn, originally known as the DeLand Mansion, was built in 1876 by Henry DeLand, a local industrialist, for his family. In 1876, Fairport industrialist Henry DeLand built a . . . — Map (db m115446) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — The Potter Property
The Potter Property From Private Estate to public amenity. Fred Potter. Spencer Philbrick's original Italianate mansion. Fred Potter and his chauffeur on West Church Street. The Potter Mansion. In 1858, Spencer Philbrick constructed a . . . — Map (db m115456) HM
New York (Monroe County), Fairport — This Memorial
This memorial in honor of the men and women of this community who answered their country's call. Dedicated in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m115455) WM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.