Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Farmington Hills, Michigan Historical Markers

 
The Stuart Little Pond and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., August 27, 2011
The Stuart Little Pond and Marker
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — "The Stuart Little Pond"
In the spring of 1953, Eleanor Olney Spicer age 12 was walking her dog, a toy Manchester terrier named Stuart Little, after the children's book, Stuart Little by E.B. White. Suddenly Stuart noticed a small animal and chased it into a drainpipe and . . . — Map (db m46697) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Buckhorn Corners
Buckhorn Corners was a hamlet in the early days of Farmington Township. A pioneer carpenter, Timothy Tolman, built an early frame house at Buckhorn Corners in 1828. In the same year, the Tibbits Sawmill went into business half a mile south, . . . — Map (db m136084) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Edward Beals House
This Storybook Tudor with faux thatch roof was designed by Emily Butterfield of Farmington, Michigan's first female architect. In 1925, Great Lakes Land Corp. President Edward E. Beals developed the Oaklands subdivision emphasizing country living on . . . — Map (db m136011) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Fractional District School
This is the only existing one-room schoolhouse in the area used continuously for educational purposes. It was built on land donated for a public school and named after George German, one of an English group who settled here in 1835. It provided . . . — Map (db m136187) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — L960 — Glen Oaks
This graceful English-style stone clubhouse, completed in 1925, was designed by Butterfield and Butterfield of Farmington. In 1923 developers began the Oakland Subdivision housing development. The clubhouse and its adjoining nine-hole public golf . . . — Map (db m135932) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — L2005 — Goodenough - Spicer Stable
Built c. 1918 — Map (db m105657) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — L2005 — Gray - Spicer House
Built in 1926 — Map (db m105641) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Kirby White House
This Federalist Revival House was designed by talented architect Marcus Burrowes for Kirby White, an executive of Ferry Morse Seed Company. In the 1930s Ferry Morse was the largest seed company in the world. This house is considered the work of a . . . — Map (db m105570) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — L955 — Lemuel Botsford House
Lemuel and Lucy Botsford were Quakers. From Salisbury, Connecticut, they moved to Lyons, New York, and in 1836 to Farmington's Quaker settlement. In 1837 the Botsfords built this Greek Revival house on what became known as Botsford Hill. The house . . . — Map (db m105576) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — McCabe Funeral Home
This centennial business marked its 100th year in 1993. In 1893 Francis J. McCabe purchased the Detroit funeral home of Frank Gibb at Cass and Grand River. In 1902 he moved to Canfield and Grand River, again moving in 1904 to Hudson and Grand River . . . — Map (db m104089) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — North Farmington
Established here around 1850, this was a small village containing a post office, a blacksmith shop, a cheese factory, general stores and about ten homes. It was a collecting point for milk from surrounding farms. A cemetery, south of here, still . . . — Map (db m136040) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — North Farmington Cemetery
The Association for Cemetery and Burial Purposes was begun on the 20th of September, 1838, to deal with the business of the cemetery which was located on land donated by the Wm. L. Coonley family. This private organization, still in existence, . . . — Map (db m136012) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Sleepy Hollow
Three mills and a small village, including a cooper's shop, a soap factory, a shoemaker's shop, a slaughterhouse and a tannery comprised Sleepy Hollow in the 1830's. In 1827 a grist mill was built on this spot along this rapidly flowing branch of . . . — Map (db m104091) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — L2005 — Spicer Barn
Built c. 1880 — Map (db m105662) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Spicer House
Architect Marcus Burrowes designed this lovely home in 1925 for David and Martha Gray. Burrowes selected the site and built the house to blend with the land, yet retain an historic English architectural form. The Grays never lived in the house. . . . — Map (db m79852) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — St. Vincent and Sarah Fisher Center
Side 1 This lovely complex was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, 1929. It is an outgrowth of a foundling and maternity hospital called the House of Providence, administered by the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent DePaul, established in 1851 . . . — Map (db m136118) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — L2077 — The Chene House
Wells D. Butterfield and his daughter Emily (the state's first licensed woman architect) designed this house for Edward and Evelyn Chene. The house was built in 1927 as part of "The Oaklands," one of the first subdivisions in Farmington Township. . . . — Map (db m135938) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — The Old Mill
Water power! Before the advent of the steam engine, water provided the energy needed to run mills for grinding the grain into flour for our ancestor's table and to cut the lumber for their homes. In the early 1800's this middle branch of the . . . — Map (db m104109) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — The Utley Cemetery Entrance of the East Farmington Cemetery on Twelve Mile Road
This cemetery, now known as the East Farmington Cemetery, is the oldest in Farmington. Mrs. Stanford M. Utley, who died as a result of a fall as she alighted from a wagon upon completion of her long trip from New York, was the first settler to be . . . — Map (db m136113) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — The Walker/Wixom Tavern
The first country inn in Farmington was the log home of Solomon Walker, opened in 1827. A gala celebration was held there for New Year's Eve 1828, followed by the first Township meeting in 1829. East of his log house Walker built a Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m84873) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Ward Eagle Home
This 1841 Greek revival farmhouse was the home of Ward Eagle (1891-1967), Farmington Township Supervisor, Justice of the Peace and influential member of the Michigan Milk Producers Association. The house was built by John Trick on land sold . . . — Map (db m136056) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement