Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock—commander-in-chief of British forces in North America—traveled over the road trace below on June 25, 1755. Marching north with his 2,400-man army, the 60-year-old Braddock was under orders to capture Fort . . . — — Map (db m339) HM
Gen. Edward Braddock was buried here in 1755, after his disastrous defeat and death. The site of his original grave, the new grave to which his remains were moved in 1804, and a trace of the Braddock Road may be seen here. — — Map (db m310) HM
Here lieth the remains of Major General Edward Braddock who, in command of the 44th and 48th regiments of English Regulars, was mortally wounded in an engagement with the French and Indians under the command of Captain M. de Beaujeu at the Battle of . . . — — Map (db m304) HM
Before the Europeans, only Indian trails led through virgin forests that once stretched beyond the horizon. About 1750 Nemacolin, a Delaware Indian, blazed a trail past here for the Ohio Company. Four years later, Virginia militia under Lt. Col. . . . — — Map (db m333) HM
Fort Necessity was located about 400 yards to the south in the Great Meadows. Built and commanded, 1754 by Lieutenant Colonel George Washington, aged 22. Here, after 9 hours engagement with M. Coulon de Villiers in command of 900 French regulars . . . — — Map (db m341) HM
Colonel George Washington on June 29, 1754 began a fort here. July 4 he surrendered to a superior force of French. Fort Necessity Park includes the historic area and reconstructed fort. — — Map (db m41789) HM
On this “charming field for an encounter” George Washington built Fort Necessity in May-June 1754 as defense against an approaching French force. The battle fought here July 3 brought on the French and Indian War for control of the . . . — — Map (db m105634) WM
This tavern once bustled with activity. Judge Nathaniel Ewing of Uniontown built it about 1830, then sold in in 1840 to James Sampey, who ran the tavern with his family. Mount Washington Tavern was a stage stop for the Good Intent Stage Line, one of . . . — — Map (db m347) HM
Preaching the Word and Preserving the Heritage. Organized March 24, 1842, the first congregation of this church worshipped in a log building which is preserved as the thirty feet square sanctuary of the existing structure. The church is . . . — — Map (db m348) HM
Our first national road; fathered by Albert Gallatin. Begun in 1811 at Cumberland, Md.; completed to Wheeling in 1818. Toll road under State control, 1835-1905. Rebuilt, it is present U.S. Route 40. — — Map (db m340) HM
On June 25, 1755, the largest army assembled in North America up to that time passed this spot. British Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock led the first 1,400 soldiers of his 2,400-man army along a 12-foot-wide road. Lt. Col. Thomas Dunbar lagged behind with . . . — — Map (db m338) HM
“Up to this time the colonies have been acting as entirely separate and independent states.” From message of Governor James Glenn to the South Carolina Assembly, March 5, 1754.
The Great Meadows Campaign marked the first . . . — — Map (db m1113) HM
This "National Road" connected east and west in the 1800s. George Washington proposed a route to join the western frontier to the eastern seaboard in the late 1700s. His idea was later promoted by Albert Gallatin, Secretary of the Treasury under . . . — — Map (db m342) HM
This tablet marks a well preserved scar of the Old Braddock Trail, one of the most historic pioneer highways in all America.
Here, Nemacolin and his associates blazed the trail that became a National Highway.
Here, passed the laden pack horse . . . — — Map (db m33439) HM
William Behrends — The Polo Player. The bronze Polo Player is the work of William Behrends, one of the nation's foremost sculptors. Educated both in the U.S.A. and Europe, Behrends has won some of the nation's top sculpture awards. His . . . — — Map (db m503) HM