Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Farmville, Virginia Historical Markers

 
Bizarre Marker image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, April 18, 2010
Bizarre Marker
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — MJ-1 — Bizarre
Near here is the site of Bizarre, owned in 1742 by Richard Randolph of Curles. In 1781, his grandson, John Randolph of Roanoke, took refuge at Bizarre with his mother on account of Arnold's invasion. John Randolph lived here until 1810, when he . . . — Map (db m30204) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — Cumberland ChurchLee’s Retreat — April 7, 1865
Union troops arrived here after crossing the Appomattox River at High Bridge and found Lee’s army entrenched around the church. After a series of Union attacks, Lee was forced to delay his movement until nightfall when he began marching towards . . . — Map (db m11837) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — Cumberland ChurchUnion Closes In — Lee’s Retreat
Here at Cumberland Church, in the afternoon of April 7, 1865, part of the Army of Northern Virginia entrenched to protect the route west to Appomattox Station, where supplies awaited the men. The Confederate line, across the road behind you, . . . — Map (db m11839) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — Z-55 — Cumberland County / Prince Edward County
(South Side):Cumberland County Area 293 square milesFormed in 1748 from Goochland, and named for the Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II. The earliest call for independence came from this county, April 22, 1776. (North . . . — Map (db m30212) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — O-52 — Engagement at Cumberland Presbyterian Church7 April 1865
After successfully crossing the Appomattox River at nearby High Bridge, Maj. Gen. Andrew A. Humphreys’ II Corps attacked Confederate forces under Maj. Gen. William Mahone that were entrenched on the high ground around Cumberland Presbyterian Church. . . . — Map (db m11861) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — High BridgeCritical Span — Lee's Retreat
From here you can see the 1914 steel railroad bridge that spans the Appomattox River above the brick piers of the antebellum High Bridge, which carried the South Side Railroad. The old wooden bridge and the wagon bridge, just to the east of it, were . . . — Map (db m29934) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — High Bridge Trail State Park
The "High" Bridge "There have been higher bridges not so long and longer bridges not so high, but taking the height and length together, this is, perhaps, the largest bridge in the world." C.O. Sanford, South Side Railroad's chief engineer, 1852 . . . — Map (db m29915) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — O-55 — James F. Lipscomb
James F. Lipscomb was born a free black on 4 December 1830 in Cumberland County. He worked first as a farm laborer, then as a carriage driver in Richmond. In 1867 he returned to Cumberland County, where he accumulated more than 500 acres of land. . . . — Map (db m30244) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — MJ-2 — Needham Law School
Just east of here is Needham, location of Virginia's first proprietary law school and home of founder Judge Creed Taylor (1766 - 1836), politician, jurist, and legal educator. Taylor's law school at Needham, which opened in 1821 and closed by 1840, . . . — Map (db m30239) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Farmville — The High BridgeHigh Bridge Trail State Park
“There have been higher bridges not so long and longer bridges not so high, but taking the height and length together, this is, perhaps, the largest bridge in the world.” -C.O. Sanford, South Side Railroad’s chief engineer,1852 In . . . — Map (db m83635) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — About Hampden-Sydney College
You are standing near the site of the original campus of Hampden-Sydney College, which stood on the knoll to your right (see artist reconstruction above). Hampden-Sydney began classes on November 10, 1775, the last college founded in Colonial . . . — Map (db m54486) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — African-Americans at High BridgeHigh Bridge Trail State Park
Engineer Department Activities The High Bridge fortifications were built, in part, with the help of area free men of color who were conscripted for Confederate service. The Confederate Congress authorized the draft of free men of color to . . . — Map (db m83638) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — 27 — Beulah AME ChurchFarmville, Virginia — Prince Edward County
Beulah African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church was founded in 1868. Originally, it was known as The Colored Methodist Church of Farmville. The original wooden-framed building was destroyed, by fire in 1898. The cornerstone on the present . . . — Map (db m31318) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — Camp ParadiseHigh Bridge Trail State Park
Veteran, war-worn, French speaking "chic creoles" of the Donaldsonville Artillery detachment of 43 Louisiana Creole Canonniers received orders to guard High Bridge by the Lynchburg Confederate Military District Commander Francis T. Nicholls, a . . . — Map (db m83637) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — F-72 — Campaign of 1781
In 1781, British Gen. Charles Cornwallis ordered cavalry commander Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton to raid Southside Virginia to seize or destroy private and public supplies of ammunition, clothing, and food. On 9 July, Tarleton left Cobham in Surry . . . — Map (db m31340) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — Confederate Veterans Monument
1861 Virginia 1865 Defenders of State "Sovereignty". Confederate Heroes Erected by Confederate Veterans and the Daughters of the Confederacy Oct. 11, 1900. List of companies organized In the county 1861. Company F 18th. . . . — Map (db m31311) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — Dr. William W. H. Thackston1820-1899
On this site was the home of Dr. William W. H. Thackston 1820-1899 A distinguished pioneer dentist who practiced his profession in Farmville for more than fifty-five years A founder of The Virginia Society of Surgeon . . . — Map (db m31317) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — FarmvilleLee’s Retreat — April 7, 1865
The Confederate army marched through this tobacco town, followed by the Union army. Lee hoped to issue rations to his men here before turning south but was forced to flee across the Appomattox River. Grant sent his first dispatch to Lee concerning . . . — Map (db m11855) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — FarmvilleBrief Respite — Lee’s Retreat
Half-starved and exhausted, the vanguard of the Army of Northern Virginia stumbled into Farmville early on the morning of April 7, 1865. Here, at last, the men found long-promised rations – everything from bread to soup and ham. While the head . . . — Map (db m11858) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — 25 — Farmville Female Seminary AssociationFarmville, Virginia — Prince Edward County
Founded on March 5, 1839 as the Farmville Female Seminary Association, Longwood is one of the oldest colleges originally for women in the country. In 1842 the cornerstone was laid for the first true college building, which is today known as . . . — Map (db m31316) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — 26 — First Baptist ChurchFarmville, Virginia — Prince Edward County
The First Baptist Church was organized in 1866 as an outgrowth of the predominantly white Farmville Baptist Church. In 1949, following the death of the Rev. C. H. Griffin, the Church voted unanimously to call his son, L. Francis Griffin, as . . . — Map (db m31310) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — I-14 — Four Sororities Founded
Longwood College, formerly known as the State Female Normal School, is the only U.S. school where four national sororities were founded. Kappa Delta, founded on 23 Oct. 1897, was the first sorority organized in Virginia. The sorority with the . . . — Map (db m31313) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — I 14-a — Free Blacks of Israel Hill
Just to the west lies Israel Hill, settled in 1810-1811 by approximately ninety formerly enslaved persons who received freedom and 350 acres from Judith Randolph under the will of her husband, Richard Randolph, cousin of Thomas Jefferson. These . . . — Map (db m28041) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — French's Church
An Episcopal church, built in 1757, formerly stood one-eighth of a mile east of here. According to tradition, a detachment of Rochambeau's army wintered here after the Battle of Yorktown, and seventy French soldiers were buried in the church yard. . . . — Map (db m31333) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — 9 — Hampden-SydneyA new college for a new republic.
When Samuel Stanhope Smith, our first president, named the College after English anti-Royalists, he clearly agreed with Patrick Henry’s revolutionary vision. Thus it was logical that Henry should be elected a Founding Trustee in November 1775, . . . — Map (db m54480) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — 28 — Hampden-Sydney CollegeHampden-Sydney, Virginia — Prince Edward County
Hampden-Sydney College, in continuous operation since November 10, 1775, was established “to form good men and good citizens.” One of the few remaining all-male colleges, it was named for John Hampden (1594-1643) and Algernon Sydney . . . — Map (db m31324) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — I-9 — Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney College, in continuous operation since 10 Nov. 1775, was established "to form good men and good Citizens." It was named for John Hampden (1594-1643) and Algernon Sydney (1622-1683), champions of parliamentary rule in England. Patrick . . . — Map (db m31334) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — F-65 — History of Worsham
This site served as the county seat when Prince Edward County was founded in 1754. The original courthouse constructed soon thereafter was replaced in 1776. The last courthouse here was built in 1832. The former debtors' prison built in 1787 and the . . . — Map (db m31342) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — F-70 — Kingsville
Here, before the Revolution, stood King's Tavern. The British cavalryman, Tarleton, raiding, camped here in 1781. In the same year sick and wounded French soldiers were brought to this place from Yorktown; seventy of them are buried here. Nearby is . . . — Map (db m31332) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — Longwood
Property acquired 1765 by Peter Johnston. Home of Peter Johnston, Jr., Lieutenant in Lee's Legion and judge of Circuit Court of Virginia. Birthplace of General Joseph E. Johnston. Purchased 1811 by Abraham B. Venable, U.S. senator; organizer . . . — Map (db m31301) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — I-15 — Longwood College
The college opened here in October 1884 as a "state female normal school". In 1914 the name was changed to "State Normal School for Women at Farmville"; In 1924 to "State Teachers College at Farmville"; In 1949 to "Longwood College". Conferring the . . . — Map (db m29162) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — M-33 — Longwood Estate
Peter Johnston (1763-1831)--jurist, Speaker of the House of Delegates (1805-1807), and father of Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston--inherited Longwood estate from his father. He sold the property after he became a judge on the General Court of . . . — Map (db m31290) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — I 15-a — Longwood University
Longwood University is a state-supported institution developed from the privately owned Farmville Female Seminary that was incorporated in 1839. In 1884, it became a public institution when the Commonwealth acquired the property and renamed it the . . . — Map (db m29164) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — Main Street - Mayor J. David Crute - EACO TheatreHistoric Farmville
(Main Street Side): Once named Bizarre in 1736, Farmville was established as a town in 1798. From the town's formation, tobacco was a major factor in its prosperity. The numerous warehouses along the Main Street corridor represent Farmville's . . . — Map (db m31352) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — I-19 — Presbyterian Seminary
The first Presbyterian seminary in the South was established here in 1812 as the Theology Department of Hampden-Sydney College. It became independent of the college in 1822. After the synods of Virginia and North Carolina assumed joint ownership in . . . — Map (db m31335) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — 23 — Prince Edward County Public SchoolsFarmville, Virginia — Prince Edward County
In 1954, after the Supreme Court ruled in Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka, that United States schools must integrate, Senator Harry S. Byrd and several Virginia governors followed the policy of “massive resistance.” . . . — Map (db m31321) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — F-71 — Providence
Two miles east is the Glebe House where the Rev. Archibald McRoberts lived during the Revolution. Tarleton, raiding through this section in July, 1781, set fire to the house, but a timely rain put out the flames. Accordingly, the place was named . . . — Map (db m31339) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — 24 — R. R. Moton High SchoolFarmville, Virginia — Prince Edward County
On this site of the former R.R. Moton High School, the actions of some brave African-American students to achieve equal educational opportunities for blacks eventually led to the end of legal segregation in American public schools. Moton . . . — Map (db m31319) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — F-69 — Randolph-Macon Medical School
Just to the west was the medical school of John Peter Mettauer, which became a branch of Randolph-Macon College in 1847. It was discontinued, probably in 1861. Dr. Mettauer, one of the leading surgeons of the day, practiced until his death in 1875. — Map (db m19805) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — M-1 — Robert Russa Moton High School
On this site 4-23-51, the students staged a strike protesting inadequate school facilities. Led by Rev. L. Francis Griffin, these students' actions became a part of the 1954 U.S. Supreme Court's Brown v. Board of Education decision, which ruled . . . — Map (db m31320) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — Site of the Randolph House
Here stood the hotel where General U.S. Grant made his headquarters April 7, 1865, and opened correspondence with General R.E. Lee which terminated in the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Court House two days later. From the . . . — Map (db m30252) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — F-66 — Slate Hill Plantation
To the west is the estate of Nathaniel Venable (1733-1804), Slate Hill Plantation. He was a prominent citizen of Prince Edward County, serving in the Virginia House of Burgesses from 1766 to 1768. During the Revolutionary War, he was a member of the . . . — Map (db m31343) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — The Birthplace
In 1775, the Session of Hanover Presbytery met in this building, the law office of Nathaniel Venable, to lay final plans for the establishment of Hampden-Sydney College. The building was erected between 1737 and 1756 on Venable’s Plantation, . . . — Map (db m31338) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — The High BridgeHigh Bridge Trail State Park
“There have been higher bridges not so long and longer bridges not so high, but taking the height and length together, this is, perhaps, the largest bridge in the world.” -C.O. Sanford, South Side Railroad’s chief engineer,1852 In . . . — Map (db m83636) HM

44 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement