Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Fayette, Mississippi Historical Markers

 
The Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display. image, Touch for more information
July 7, 2017
The Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display.
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Baptist Building
On U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
As the twentieth century's second decade was drawing to a close, explosive growth in the churches and the work of the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board led to the 1919 purchase of the Harding Building on the corner of Capitol and North President . . . — Map (db m106425) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Baptist Churches Constituted After Territory Acquired By U.S.A.
Near U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
Until 1798, The Mississippi Territory was under Spanish rule. Threatened with banishment to the silver mines of Mexico because of preaching, Richard Curtis, Jr. returned to South Carolina until there was a change in the government. President . . . — Map (db m105490) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Beginning of the First Baptist Church in Mississippi
In the Spring of 1780, several families of the Great Pee Dee River area near Charleston, S.C., loaded their possessions on pack-horses and set out for the far off "Natchez Country". Richard Curtis, Sr., was their leader. At the Holston River in . . . — Map (db m105400) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Blue Mountain College
On U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
Blue Mountain College was founded in 1873 as a Christian liberal arts college for women. Significant events at the College since its founding include affiliation with the Mississippi Baptist Convention in 1920; the addition of a ministerial program . . . — Map (db m105974) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Bullen Creek
On Natchez Trace Parkway (at milepost 18.4), 1.6 miles south of Mississippi Highway 553, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
Before your very eyes an endless struggle is taking place. Trees are striving here for the essentials of life – water, sunlight and space. Trying to get ahead, the hardwoods push upward, their crowns filling all the overhead space, shutting . . . — Map (db m87285)
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — 85 — Charlie Evers & The Blues
On Main Street at Medgar Evers Boulevard, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Side 1 In 1973 Mayor Charles Evers of Fayette and B. B. King began to cosponsor concerts at the Medgar Evers Homecoming in honor of the slain civil rights activist. Dozens of blues, soul, and gospel acts performed at the annual festival during . . . — Map (db m105216) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Confederate Soldiers Monument
On Main Street near Medgar Evers Boulevard, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m105210) WM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Conference Ministries
On U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
The express purpose of Mississippi Baptists' conference ministries program has always been to provide a setting in which God can lead His people to make life-changing spiritual decisions including professions of faith, rededications, and . . . — Map (db m106310) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Ebenezer Baptist Church — Longest Uninterrupted Ministry
On U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
On May 9, 1806, eleven individuals met together with Rev. Richard Curtis, Jr. and Rev. Thomas Mercer to organize Ebenezer Baptist Church in Amite County. Services have continued there for over 200 years giving the church the distinction of having . . . — Map (db m105958) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Mississippi Baptist Health Systems, Inc.
On U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
In 1908, two physicians purchased an eight-room frame home on the corner of North State and Manship streets in Jackson, Mississippi, with the vision of converting it into a small hospital. After operating the hospital for two years, the physicians . . . — Map (db m106330) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Mississippi College — A Christian University
On U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
Mississippi College, in Clinton, MS, was established as Hampstead Academy in 1826. The name was changed to Mississippi College in 1830. MC became the oldest university in Mississippi and the second oldest Baptist university in the United States. In . . . — Map (db m105973) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Mississippi- Fertile Ground for Leadership Development
On Highway 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
Mississippi has proven over the years to be fertile ground for seeds of faith planted by the state's early Baptists. From those seeds have sprung numerous state, national and international leaders. Among those leaders: Margaret McRae Lackey . . . — Map (db m106294) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Organization of Baptist Churches in Mississippi
Near Highway 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
Messengers from 5 Baptist churches met at the Salem Church in September 1806, to organize the Mississippi Baptist Association. The Union and Pearl River Association were organized in 1820. The first Mississippi Baptist Convention was organized . . . — Map (db m105522) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Richard Curtis, Jr. — May 28, 1755 - October 28, 1811 — Mississippi's First Baptist Preacher
On U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
Curtis migrated to Cole's Creek in Natchez District from South Carolina in 1780 and encountered Indian attacks, disease and inclement weather. Despite constant obstacles and harassment from the Spanish authorities, in 1791, he helped establish the . . . — Map (db m105823) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Salem Church — Cole's Creek
On U.S. 61 1 mile from Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
S. 4 mi. First Baptist church in Miss. Set up, 1791, in home of Margaret Stampley, with Richard Curtis, of S.C., as pastor. Here, 1806, first Miss. Baptist Assn. formed. — Map (db m105212) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — The Baptist Children's Village — Caring For Mississippi Children Since 1897
On U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
Reverend L.S.Foster of Senatobia, the Founding Father of The Baptist Children's Village, sought the Lord's direction in providing a safe place for Mississippi children who needed a place to grow spiritually as well as physically.

Reverend Foster . . . — Map (db m106150) HM

Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — The Baptist Record
On U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
One of the many privately-owned Baptist newspapers circulating in Mississippi in the mid-to late-nineteenth century, the Mississippi Baptist Record was founded in 1877 in the Clinton residence of Civil War veteran J.B. Gambrell. In August 1898, the . . . — Map (db m106378) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Thomas Hinds
On Medgar Evers Boulvard east of Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
Home 4 mi. W. His cavalry "pride" of one army & "admiration" of other at N. Orleans, 1815. Militia head, 1815-19; comr. in negotiating Choctaw cession, 1820 & selecting site of capital at Jackson, 1821; mem. legislature & Congress. — Map (db m105207) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — William Carey University
On U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling north.
In 1906, William Carey University began in Hattiesburg as South Mississippi College. Noted educator W.I. Thames served as president. A devastating fire destroyed the college in 1910. W.S.F. Tatum, a Hattiesburg business leader, acquired the . . . — Map (db m106143) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Woodville Baptist Church — First Organized and Still Active Church
Near U.S. 61 1 mile south of Stampley Road, on the left when traveling south.
On the first Saturday of October 1798, William Thompson, Richard Curtis, Jr. and Joseph Willis met with families on Bayou Sara Creek, four miles southwest of Woodville, and organized a church under the arm of Salem Baptist Church known as the . . . — Map (db m105840) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.