Erected in the early 1870s, this magnificent structure was a drug store. In 1877 it became known as the Alford Drug Store until 1886. In 1879, Wells Fargo and Co. established an express station in the Alford Drug Store and maintained it through . . . — — Map (db m71959) HM
Originally constructed as a warehouse in July of 1902; known as the A. Berding Warehouse and housed many businesses. In 1919 Hampton C. Blum acquired the warehouse. In January 1929, The Danish Hall Committee started considerations for pu(r)chase. . . . — — Map (db m71939) HM
The Victorian Inn was built in 1890 with completion in 1891, and known as the Russ Building. The structure was originally built to house the Ferndale Bank with the Ferndale Enterprise Newspaper following. There were 33 rooms on the second floor; . . . — — Map (db m65289) HM
Built circa 1880, the rear portion of the building began as a private residence. Later, the front served as a restaurant and Chinese chop house. Around 1914-15, A.W. Blackburn moved the rear portion to the street and added a new front to serve as . . . — — Map (db m71952) HM
The original building was constructed in the late 1800’s as a warehouse for A. Berding, pioneer merchant. Remodeled in 1929, it became the meeting hall for the various Danish lodges. It also serves as the meeting hall of the Native Sons and . . . — — Map (db m71942) HM
This pioneer agricultural community, settled in 1852, helped feed the booming population of mid-century San Francisco. Long known as “Cream City,” Ferndale made innovative and lasting contributions to the dairy industry. Local . . . — — Map (db m1557) HM
Dedicated March 19, 1891
Organized October 2?, 1868 with fifteen members Ferndale Lodge #193 F. & A.M. received its charter the following year. Meetings were held upstairs over the Dodge Store until 1870 when the first lodge hall was built on the . . . — — Map (db m71931) HM
Ferndale Meat Market was already in operation at the time of the fire of 1875 and was lost in the fire of April 1881. It was rebuilt at its present location and back in operation by mid May of that same year. Joseph Russ’ involvement in the business . . . — — Map (db m71955) HM
Circa 1890. Furthest westernly bar in the continental United States.
Dedicated February 13, 1993 by the Native Sons of the Golden West. Harley M. Harty, Grand President
In memory of Joseph G. Oeschger PGP — — Map (db m65266) HM
Also known as the Roberts Hotel, Ferndale Hotel, and the Italian-Swiss Hotel, it was the first and is the last of the original hostelries in Ferndale. Originally built in 1870, burnt to the ground and rebuilt in 1875, then remodeled in the late . . . — — Map (db m71958) HM
Dedicated to Joseph Carl Oeschger in Recognition of his contribution to sports and to the youth who participate.
An all around athlete who began his career in Ferndale, he went on to professional baseball where he distinguished himself as a . . . — — Map (db m71956) HM
Built in 1922, and constructed mainly of old growth redwood by volunteers of the Ferndale Community. Fire destroyed the kitchen in 1963. Rebuilt in 1990-1993 through contributions and community efforts. It has served our community well throughout . . . — — Map (db m65190) HM
In this approximate area the seed of settlement to become Ferndale was planted by Seth Lewis Shaw.
Ferndale’s Original Residents
S.L. Shaw S.W. Shaw Uri Williams Tom Dix H.S. Waterman Cutler Hatch Joseph Russ Wm. Shipton Geo. . . . — — Map (db m71960) HM
This site, originally R.A. Simpson's Ferndale Mechanical Shop, and shared by A. Monroe Cider and Vinegar Company, was chosen in 1904 by Aage Jensen as the founding location of the Central Creamery with first production of butter in September, . . . — — Map (db m65235) HM
Built in 1898 this building is of the East Lake Stick-Style tradition, a fine example of Victorian Architecture. The tapered oriel windows that project from the upper story are Italianate in shape with the overall design being very much English. . . . — — Map (db m71953) HM