Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Florence, Arizona Historical Markers

 
Andronico Loroña House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, September 1, 2013
Andronico Loroña House Marker
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Andronico Loroña House
This Sonoran-styled adobe house was built by rancher Andronico Loroña in 1886 and it is typical of the houses built in early Florence by ranchers. The original flat roof was replaced with a pitched roof covered with tin. Loroña lived here with his . . . — Map (db m68358) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Aquiles Arriola Square
The first fired-brick building in Florence was built here in 1886 for William R Stone, District Court Clerk, later Territorial District Attorney. The next year Stone added an office where he and District Attorney Richard E. Sloan, later Judge and . . . — Map (db m26804) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church
Completed in 1912, the Church of The Assumption is an example of the Mission Revival style of architecture. The third church built for Assumption Parish, it replaced the second church built on this site in 1884, which burned down in 1893. This . . . — Map (db m26687) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Bear Down
Near this site on the evening of October 3, 1926, John "Button" Salmon, student body president and quarterback of the University of Arizona football team, was critically injured in a car accident while returning from a weekend in Phoenix with two . . . — Map (db m26664) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — C. G. Powell People's Store
Town founder Levi Ruggles built a store on this site in 1876. In 1882, it became Peter Will's Brewery. It was demolished for the construction, in 1915, of the C. G. Powell People's Store, a single-story, commercial building. Prominent Phoenix . . . — Map (db m26734) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — C.D. Henry HouseHistoric Site
This American-Victorian (Queen Anne) house was built in 1889, by its owner Charles D. Henry. Henry was a building contractor who specialized in brick and built other houses in Florence of similar architecture. These probably included the . . . — Map (db m71773) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Camp Florence
This memorial is dedicated to the men and women who served our county in war and peace and to a significant era of rich local history. Camp Florence, an army training facility, once occupied the grounds now known as "Four Parks". Beginning in . . . — Map (db m32440) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Carmen Michea House
Built between 1886 and 1889, this Sonoran row house was the most common house type in territorial Florence. It was transformed to Spanish colonial revival in 1940. This house displays features like the stepped parapet and mission-tile canopy. During . . . — Map (db m68385) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Charles Rapp Saloon
This mid-1870 commercial building was built on the corner of Main and 7th streets. This Sonoran style building is the most intact of the four remaining untransformed examples of the adobe-walled, earth-roofed Sonoran traditional design which still . . . — Map (db m26718) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Chas. D. PostonThe Father of Arizona
"The Father of Arizona" Born April 20, 1825 — Died June 24, 1902 Native of Kentucky Elected as first Arizona Delegate To Congress in 1864 This Monument erected by the State of Arizona in Conjunction with Maricopa Chapter . . . — Map (db m26662) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Conrad Brunenkant Building
This two-story red-brick commercial building was constructed in 1890 for Conrad Brunenkant. The bricks were locally made, and the rock-faced cut lintels and sills are from locally quarried stone. The exterior was altered in 1973 when the porch with . . . — Map (db m26682) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Cosgrove House
The western portion of this adobe brick house was built for Frank and Isabella Cosgrove in 1878. It was originally constructed with dirt floors, roof and a Sonoran corner fireplace. During the 1890s, Theophile Nicholas "Americanized" the . . . — Map (db m26800) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Denier & Richmond General Merchandise Store
Built in 1890, the store originally had unplastered adobe walls, a gabled roof, and a large, commercial-style glass display front. After Denier & Richmond, the building housed the C.R. Michea Store from 1897 to 1907, and then the Michea-Arballo . . . — Map (db m26790) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — E. N. Fish & Co. Store
Built in 1874 of unplastered adobe with pitched roofs, this second Edward Nye Fish mercantile store in Florence changed hands to become the, Joseph Collingwood & Co. Store and Wells Fargo office in 1877. Collingwood, Florence's first postmaster, had . . . — Map (db m26717) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — E.N. Fish & Co. Store
Edward Nye Fish, prominent Tucson merchant, and his partner/manager Joseph Collingwood, first Florence postmaster, opened Florence's first store in this building in 1868. Building additions from 1867 to 1888 formed a U-shaped complex, and . . . — Map (db m26708) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Elena Llescas House
Built for Pablo and Elena Llescas in the early 1860s, this single-story row house has two exterior walls not parallel with respect to the other walls. This indicates construction prior to the 1866 Ruggles Street Grid. This building is constructed on . . . — Map (db m26795) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Elmer Coker House
This 1881 Sonoran/Early Transitional adobe was home to the Elmer Coker family in 1907. A prominent cattleman and lawyer specializing in land and water rights. Coker was a delegate to the Arizona Constitutional Convention and is considered the father . . . — Map (db m26626) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Emma Monk Guild House
Emma Monk came to Arizona Territory to teach school at Fort Thomas in the 1880s. She married William Guild in 1887 and taught school in Florence off and on from 1885 to 1897 and was the first Florence principal. She also taught in Red Rock, Casa . . . — Map (db m68337) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — First Pinal County Courthouse
This adobe building, which was designed by Levi Ruggles and built in 1878, combines Sonoran and Anglo-American architectural features typical of Territorial Arizona. It was the courthouse until 1891 and then served as a hospital, health center, home . . . — Map (db m32956) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Florence High School
Designed by Phoenix architects Royal W. Lescher and John R. Kibbey and completed in 1916, this neo-classical revival style structure has overtones of the Spanish revival style. The school board chose a one story as the children would have already . . . — Map (db m26623) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Florence Woman's Club
The Florence Woman's Club was organized in 1897. In 1929, architects Lescher & Mahoney designed this Spanish Colonial Revival Style clubhouse. The original light fixtures are suspended from the ceiling, and an ornate Spanish-style fireplace is . . . — Map (db m26746) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — George A. Brown House
This was originally a flat-roofed Sonoran adobe built in 1875 for George A. Brown, Adamsville saloon keeper. The house served briefly as the Wells Fargo office during a rash of stagecoach robberies. "By God" Brown known for his oft-repeated phrase, . . . — Map (db m26710) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — George-Brockway House
This Colonial Revival adobe was the home of George Brockway and his wife Esther. Brockway was the town medical doctor, Pinal County Hospital Superintendent and Territorial Prison physician. He owned a drugstore, and in 1908 became the first mayor of . . . — Map (db m26712) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Ghost Town of Adamsville
In the 1870's, a flour mill and a few stores formed the hub of life in Adamsville, where shootings and knifings were commonplace, and life was one of the cheapest commodities. Most of the adobe houses have been washed away by the flooding Gila River. — Map (db m26805) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Granville H. Oury
March 12 1825 - Jan 11 1891 Judge- District court of New Mexico Delegate to Confederate Congress Arizona Mounted Volunteers CSA Territorial legislature US Congress Pioneer- Soldier- Statesman — Map (db m32394) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Granville Wheat Outbuilding
The smaller adobe outbuilding was constructed by Granville Wheat and appears on an 1869 army map of Florence. The flat earthen roof was replaced with a rare mono-pitched waterproof metal roof. The original door and wood frame remain. Wheat was a . . . — Map (db m68341) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Harvey-Niemeyer House
This example of Early Transitional architecture combined Sonoran and Victorian elements. Built of adobe in 1880, the house was later veneered with red brick to give it a Victorian appearance. Physician William Harvey was known as an "Angle of Mercy" . . . — Map (db m26624) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Huffman House1919
Dr. George Huffman built this large, two-story Bungalow-style adobe house to accommodate his family and his medical practice. Surgical rooms were located on the first floor with rooms for patients upstairs. Square pillars support full-width porches. . . . — Map (db m32439) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Ignacio Manjarres House
Ignacio Manjarres was a rancher in Florence as early as 1898 when a brand was registered in his name with the county. He was a charter member of the Pinal County Cattle Growers Association. At various times he raised sheep and pigs, fruit trees and . . . — Map (db m68360) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — In Memory of Tom Mix
. . . — Map (db m26621) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Jacob Suter House
Built in 1888 for Swiss-born tinsmith Jacob Suter. Constructed of adobe brick with 20-inch-thick outer walls. The house displays a traditional Sonoran floor plan and originally included a zaguan, or breezeway. The wood mansard roof, windows, and . . . — Map (db m26748) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Jesus Martinez House
Jesus Martinez, a farmer from New Mexico, began construction on this adobe house in 1872. Completed in 1880, the U-shaped building had a traditional Sonoran flat dirt roof and central patio enclosed on three sides. By 1890 the house was divided for . . . — Map (db m26683) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Jesus Preciado de Luna/Bernardina Loroña Residence
In 1880, Juan Luna built this single-story, Sonoran-style adobe house for his wife and put the title in her name. According to Spanish tradition, it was the polite thing to do. The building's two L-shaped wings are one-room deep, and the original . . . — Map (db m26791) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — John Keating House
This single-story adobe, built in 1888, retains its basic integrity as an example of the symmetrical, pyramidal-roofed, Late-Transitional style. Keating was a pioneer stage driver. He served as a territorial legislator, Florence town councilman, and . . . — Map (db m26803) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — John Nicholas Building1886
Called the "New Beer Hall," this single-story, mud-roofed, one-room deep, adobe Sonoran-style house was said to be "the coolest place in town" by owner John Nicholas. In 1890, the Arizona Weekly Enterprise, Florence's second newspaper, leased . . . — Map (db m26794) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — John Nicholas Saloon and Beer Hall
Designed by prominent Arizona Architect James M. Creighton, this is the oldest standing fired-brick building in Florence. Soon after completion, French-born rancher-farmer John Nicholas moved his saloon to this building in 1889. Tradition has it . . . — Map (db m26792) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — John P. Clum House
Built in 1878 for John P. Clum, Indian agent, editor of Florence's first newspaper, the "Arizona Citizen" and founder of the "Tombstone Epitaph." Typical of transitional architecture, the home is a Sonoran adobe with an Anglo-influenced roof. . . . — Map (db m26744) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — John Zellweger House
One of a series of Craftsman bungalows on Willow Street, this was the home of the John Zellweger family. Zellweger was a founder of the First National Bank of Florence. His father and George Push owned the large Steam Pump Ranch north of Tucson. . . . — Map (db m68339) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Juan Avenenti Building
Juan Avenenti, an Italian immigrant who came to Arizona about 1870, purchased this property in 1886 from Frank M. Griffen. Previously, it had belonged to Florence pioneers Levi Ruggles and Charles Douglas. Avenenti, a grocer, butcher and rancher, . . . — Map (db m26736) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — La Capilla del GilaFirst church of the Assumption
This first Catholic Church in central Arizona, built in 1870 by Father Andre Echallier, was called "La Capilla del Gila". In 1883 a larger edifice commemorating the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was constructed to the west: a convent was . . . — Map (db m26689) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Levi Ruggles Founder of Florence
Civil War veteran Levi Ruggles came to Arizona Territory in 1866 as a U.S. Indian Agent. Recognizing the agricultural potential of this valley, he found an easily fordable crossing on the Gila River and surveyed a townsite here. He called the . . . — Map (db m26709) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Manuel Robles House
Manuel Robles made the adobes and built this house in 1881. The single-story residence is an excellent example of a modified Sonoran-style rowhouse. Originally it was an L-shaped structure with a flat earth-filled roof, then about 1913 a flat metal . . . — Map (db m30403) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Mauk Building
Built in 1925, this is an example of early 20th Century Commercial style. One of three structures in Florence designed by George Mauk of Phoenix. He was an architect movie house mogul, and U.S. marshal. This building was used as Arizona Edison and . . . — Map (db m26733) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Michea House and Lone Star General Store
Frenchman Jean Baptiste Michea and his wife, Carmen Robles of Sonora built a 3-unit rowhouse/store on this site by 1878. Typically Sonoran in style, it was built up to the property line, and had plastered adobe walls with an earthen roof over . . . — Map (db m67495) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Nicholas Residence1880
French-born John Nicholas built this single-story flat-roofed, Sonoran-style, adobe house along the side-street property line. Its raised foundation offered some protection from flooding. Originally rectangular, it was L-shaped in 1890 and square by . . . — Map (db m26793) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Poston's Butte
Charles Debrille Poston, 1825-1902, often referred to as the "Father of Arizona", promoted territorial status for Arizona during President Lincoln's administration. Poston, motivated by silver mining interests lobbied for federal legislation to . . . — Map (db m26661) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Ross/Fryer – Cushman ResidenceHistoric Site
In 1876, Roderick Ross, one of Florence's first blacksmiths, constructed this Sonoran-style adobe house. The original flat earthen roof made of round log beams, saguaro ribs, and mud is well-preserved by a gable roof added between 1899 and 1910. . . . — Map (db m131734) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Sam Kee Residence
The oldest portion of this adobe was built for Sam Kee in 1882. Typical of Sonoran row houses, this home was built on the property line and was transformed to late-transitional style in 1977 by the addition of the wood-shingled, hipped roof . . . — Map (db m26747) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Silver King Florence Hotel
Built in 1876 for William Long, a partner in the Silver King Mine. Originally an unplastered, L-shaped adobe with gabled roof, the Silver King was renamed the Florence Hotel in 1890. Fire destroyed a portion of the hotel which was replaced by the . . . — Map (db m26665) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Spinas "Rental House"1913
This one-story, detached dwelling began as an American Victorian-style building, with walls of locally made brick and a metal-covered, timber-framed hip roof. Brick arches topped door and window openings. Bungalow-style additions included an open, . . . — Map (db m26802) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — The First Presbyterian Church of Florence1931
This second-oldest Presbyterian Church in continuous usage in Arizona was founded in 1888. The present building was designed by architects Wallingford and Bell of Phoenix in the Spanish Colonial Revival style, with mission-type tile on the roof. . . . — Map (db m26627) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Thomas Fulbright ResidenceHistoric Site
The Fulbrights moved into the home on February 14, 1934 continuing to complete the house as cash became available. The adobe patio wall was completed in 1934, the outside and inside walls were plastered in 1937 and the tile roof was installed in . . . — Map (db m71776) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Tom Mix & Tony, Jr.
This is the original Tony, Jr. that was used for the memorial to Tom Mix which was dedicated on December 5, 1947, south of Florence. The silhouette was designed by Fernando Arriola. This Tony, Jr. was stolen and missing for two years. The . . . — Map (db m26672) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Truman – Randell House
A transformed early Sonoran adobe, this house is the only structure in Florence that has a full second story added to an adobe core. Built by W. C. Truman, the sheriff known for capturing lady stagecoach robber Pearl Heart in 1900, it was later . . . — Map (db m26625) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — W.C. Smith/Rittenouse/Arriola's Cosmopolitan StoreHistoric Site
In 1901, Aquiles Arriola opened his store here with a great variety of goods lining the store walls. Arriola's son, Gustavo, grew up to be a well-known cartoonist with his own comic strip "Gordo". He wrote in his auto biography "Accidental . . . — Map (db m71775) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Walker – Oury House
Originally a Sonoran adobe row house built C. 1877 for John D. Walker friend, agent, and physician to the Pima Indians at Sacaton. This building was used as courtroom and county offices during his terms as justice of the peace, county surveyor and . . . — Map (db m68386) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — White-McCarthy Lumber and Hardware Company1914
This single-story commercial building includes a partial basement, wide-open interior spaces, and a tall, carefully detailed, Main Street store front of exposed, buff-colored, pressed brick. The other walls are composed of common red brick. A metal . . . — Map (db m26735) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — William Clark House
Built for Silver King mining engineer William Clark in 1884, this house is a prime example of cultural fusion in architecture. The Sonoran mud-plastered adobe walls were combined with an elegant Victorian louvered bay window, prefabricated . . . — Map (db m26737) HM

58 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.