Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Florence, Nebraska Historical Markers

 
A Little Town That Dreamed of Greatness Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tom Bosse, September 8, 2015
A Little Town That Dreamed of Greatness Marker
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — A Little Town That Dreamed of Greatness
Florence was born after the 1854 Kansas-Nebraska Act opened lands west of the Missouri River to speculators and settlers. Build on the grounds of Winter Quarters, founder James C. Mitchell named the new town after his granddaughter, Florence . . . — Map (db m90576) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — A Meeting House for the Saints
Forced to leave their homes along the Mississippi, the Mormons began arriving in the Missouri River Valley in June of 1846. By September, nearly 4,000 refugees had begun to settle in for the winter - laying out blocks and streets, building cabins . . . — Map (db m90578) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — From Indian Lands to the Golden Gate
Florence was a small town with a big history. The Oto, Missouri, and Omaha Indians lived and hunted here. Frenchmen, Canadians and Spaniards traded along the Missouri river. Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery made their first contact with Indians . . . — Map (db m90529) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 130 — Mormon Pioneer Memorial Bridge
This Bridge is on the Mormon Pioneer Trail from Nauvoo, Illinois, to the Rocky Mountains. Driven from their homes by mobs, many of the dispossessed Mormon people crossed the Mississippi River on the ice in February, 1846. From these refugees five . . . — Map (db m90469) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 50 — The Bank of Florence
The Bank of Florence was chartered by the Nebraska Territorial legislature on January 18, 1856. It was located in this substantial building, constructed during the same year. Sheet steel one quarter inch thick, shipped by river steamboat from . . . — Map (db m90468) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 81 — The Florence Mill
The Florence Mill, one of the earliest in Nebraska, was constructed by the Mormons at Winter Quarters during the winter of 1846-1847. Supplying both flour and lumber, the water-powered mill enabled the Mormons to cope more readily with the adverse . . . — Map (db m90460) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — The Florence Mill 1846
On this lot stands the old mill build during the westward migration of the Mormons. Purchased by Jacob Weber in 1860. Now owned by his descendants. — Map (db m90461) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — The Mormon Pioneer Trail
Fleeing heated religious and political hostility and persecution, many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (widely known as Mormons) abruptly fled their homes in Nauvoo, Illinois in February 1846. Unprepared for the cold of . . . — Map (db m90577) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — The Road to Zion
From the late 1840s through the 1860s, an exodus of more than 70,000 Mormons passed by here on their way to their "New Zion" in Utah. Starting from Nauvoo, Illinois in February 1846, the first group of at least 13,000 Mormons crossed into Iowa to . . . — Map (db m90464) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — 19 — Winter Quarters
Here in 1846 an oppressed people fleeing from a vengeful mob found a haven in the wilderness. Winter Quarters, established under the direction of the Mormon leader Brigham Young, sheltered more than 3,000 people during the winter of 1846-1847. . . . — Map (db m90527) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the books title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.