Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Floydada, Texas Historical Markers

 
Commercial Hotel Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, June 7, 2017
Commercial Hotel Marker
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1003 — Commercial Hotel
Alabama native William P. Daily (1865-1941) and his family arrived in Floyd County in 1911, settling briefly in the Muncy community (5 mi. N). After moving to Floydada to open a feed, coal, and wagon yard, Daily recognized the need for a hotel here. . . . — Map (db m104573) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 12355 — Coronado in Blanco Canyon
From 1540 to 1542, Francisco Vazquez de Coronado led the first organized European exploration of the southwest in search of the fabled "cities of gold." With a company of more than a thousand men and women and thousands of . . . — Map (db m25292) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1202 — Della Plain
A severe drought in the mid-1880s brought Baylor County rancher T. J. Braidfoot to this area in search of better conditions for his cattle. In 1887, with the support of J. R. McLain of Seymour, he founded the settlement of Della Plain at this site. . . . — Map (db m104571) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1244 — Dolphin Ward Floyd
When this county was created by the Texas legislature in 1876, it was named in honor of Dolphin Ward Floyd (1804-1836). A native of North Carolina, Floyd left his home in 1825 and arrived in Gonzales, Texas, about 1832. He married Esther Berry House . . . — Map (db m104622) HM WM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1689 — First Baptist Church of Floydada
On July 19, 1891, The Rev. I. B. Kimbrough and a small group of worshipers met in the dugout home of Joe Arnold to organize the Floyd City Baptist Church. The congregation conducted early worship services in the North Side School building and at the . . . — Map (db m104629) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1753 — First Methodist Church of Floydada
The roots of Methodism in Floyd County can be traced to the 1880s, prior to the founding of Floydada and the formal organization of the county. Circuit riding preachers ministered to pioneer settlers at Della Plain (5 mi. N), and occasional worship . . . — Map (db m104628) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1796 — First National Bank of Floydada
The James B. Posey Bank, established in Floydada in the 1890s, became the Floyd County Bank in 1900 when L. T. Lester joined Posey as a partner. In 1903, with the granting of a federal charter, the name changed once again to First National Bank. . . . — Map (db m104625) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1928 — Floyd County
. . . — Map (db m104806) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 11883 — Floydada Chapter No. 31, Order of the Eastern Star
The Floyd City Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star (O.E.S.), was organized in early 1898 when members of the Floyd City Lodge No. 712, A. F. & A. M. and their families petitioned the Grand Chapter of Texas O.E.S. for a charter. Mrs. Ella B. Starks . . . — Map (db m104627) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 1929 — Floydada Lodge No. 712, A. F. & A. M.
Organized by eighteen charter members in April 1891, this Masonic Lodge was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Texas on December 11th that year. Formed just one year after the town of Floyd City (later renamed Floydada) became Floyd County seat, the . . . — Map (db m104626) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — Floydada, Texas1909 to 2009
In 1890 Floyd City was founded by J.K. Gwynn and M.C. Williams on land donated by James B. and Caroline V. Price of Missouri. The county seat was awarded to Floyd City during the election held May 28, 1890. However, a post office named Floyd . . . — Map (db m104632) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 3867 — Organization of Floyd County
Floyd County was created by the Texas Legislature in 1876. In the 1880s, the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway Company began building westward from Wichita Falls, resulting in increased settlement of the area. Ranchers T. J. Braidfoot and J. R. . . . — Map (db m104624) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 14687 — Roots of the Catholic Faith in West Texas
Spaniards first introduced the Catholic faith into this region when conquistador Francisco Vasquez de Coronado passed through in a 1540s expedition to conquer the fabled cities of gold. He and his men rested at a campsite in Blanco Canyon, southeast . . . — Map (db m104807) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 17646 — The Battle of Blanco Canyon
Of all the confrontations between the United States Army and Indians in Texas, the Battle of Blanco Canyon is identified as one of the most decisive clashes in the U.S. cavalry’s campaigns against the Comanches. Indians inhabited the canyons and . . . — Map (db m104808) HM
Texas (Floyd County), Floydada — 5953 — Zimmerman House
Oregon native Fred Zimmerman, Sr. (1885-1954) came to the Texas Panhandle in 1916. He acquired a number of farm properties in the area and began a thirty-eight-year career of farming and ranching in Floyd and Deaf Smith counties. In 1930 Zimmerman . . . — Map (db m104631) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement