12 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Forest Hills
By Devry Becker Jones, February 24, 2018
Closeup of Top Plaque
"Music of the Spheres"
Artist: Martha Jackson Jarvis
Commissioned by Fannie Mae
Dedicated July 10, 2003
Fannie Mae: Van Ness Sculpture Project
The . . . — — Map (db m114358) HM|
Beginning in 1892, streetcars ran from Chevy Chase Circle to downtown Washington, leading to development along Connecticut Avenue. In 1906, twelve houses were built on Tilden Street in a new neighborhood known then as "Fernwood Heights," now . . . — — Map (db m111656) HM|
Forest Hills has two major cultural institutions in the neighborhood, the Hillwood Estate Museum & Gardens, and the Levine School of Music.
Built in 1926, the Hillwood Museum houses the remarkable collections of Marjorie Merriweather Post in . . . — — Map (db m114360) HM|
|The first atomic clock, developed near this site by Harold Lyons at the National Bureau of Standards, revolutionized timekeeping by using transitions of the ammonia molecule as its source of frequency. Far more accurate than previous clocks, atomic . . . — — Map (db m111606) HM|
Artist: Rebecca Osten
The Call Boxes in Forest Hills are located at Albemarle and 30th Street, Albemarle and Linnean, Connecticut and Tilden, Connecticut and Windom, Ellicott and 30th Place, Tilden and Linnean and the 2900 block of Upton . . . — — Map (db m114357)|
|Forest Hills at Home — — Map (db m114356) HM|
In the 1820s, Isaac Peirce built the mill that exists today on land he purchased in 1794. In 1892, Rock Creek Park was established and the Federal Government acquired the mill.
Artist: Mary Belcher — — Map (db m114361) HM|
|The last of several grain mills operating on Rock Creek during an era when most American mills derived their power from small streams. Located near an Indian site. The land was conveyed to Isaac Pierce by the Revolution patriot William Deakins in . . . — — Map (db m79739) HM|
|Rock Creek Park was created by Congress in 1890 through the lobbying efforts of local philanthropist Charles C. Glover. Its original 1,754 acres taken mainly by eminent domain constitutes the largest urban park in America - twice the size of New . . . — — Map (db m120161) HM|
|A descendant of the original tree whose fruit gave inspirational impetus to Isaac Newton's theory of gravitational forces was nurtured by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and transplanted here on the grounds of the National Bureau of Standards on . . . — — Map (db m124922) HM|
In 1901, the National Bureau of Standards began developing a large complex of 89 buildings on 70 acres west of Connecticut Avenue near this site. The NBS was devoted to testing new materials and establishing industry standards. The NBS physicists . . . — — Map (db m114354) HM|
Here the Nacotchtank Indians quarried soapstone and carved vessels. Archaeologist William Henry Holmes studied prehistoric workshops in this valley and other parts of the Rock Creek Watershed in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Artist: Mary . . . — — Map (db m111605) HM|