Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Fort Bliss, Texas Historical Markers

 
General of the Army Omar N. Bradley Grave Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, July 19, 1999
General of the Army Omar N. Bradley Grave Marker
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — "General of the Army Omar N. Bradley Flagpole"
General of the Army Omar N. Bradley and his wife Kitty moved from California to quarters at William Beaumont Army Medical Center in 1977 and lived there until the General’s death. This distinguished American chose to make El Paso his home because he . . . — Map (db m128199) HM WM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Abrams House
These Quarters are dedicated to GEN Creighton Williams Abrams, Jr. (1914-1974). LT and Mrs. Abrams lived here in the late 1930s, when he was with the 1st Cavalry Division. He later served in World War II, when he commanded the 37th Tank Battalion as . . . — Map (db m94265) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — AH-1F COBRA Attack Helicopter
The lethal Vietnam era AH-1 Cobra gunship first saw combat in 1967. The last of the modernized AH-1 (F) left the Army National Guard in 2001. The Cobra specializes in close ground support and tank killing. The United States Marine Corps currently . . . — Map (db m130443) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — An Almost Forgotten History
Just one year after the Civil War, Congress passed an act which created two "experimental" cavalry regiments for service on the western frontiers. African Americans, most of whom had only recently been slaves, put on blue uniforms and filled the . . . — Map (db m93887) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Buffalo Soldier Memorial of El Paso
"The Errand of Corporal Ross" While on Campaign in the Guadalupe Mountains, Corporal John Ross of I Troop, 9th Calvary, was tasked to take a back trail and bring up the supply wagons that had lagged behind. Enroute to picking up the wagons, CPL . . . — Map (db m93888) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Building 1355
Building 1355 was one of two granaries built in 1919 for the storage and distribution of oats to feed horses and mules of Army units station from Douglas, Arizona to the Texas Big Bend. Buildings 1355 and 1361 were a part of Forage Yard No. 1, . . . — Map (db m94261) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Building 1372
This Wagon Scales Building was built in 1918 with a weighing platform on its south side. The building was part of Forage Yard No. 1, which provisioned cavalry horses from 1919 until 1943. Two granaries, a small stone latrine and eleven open haysheds . . . — Map (db m93906) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Colonel George Ruhlen — Constructing Quartermaster
In honor of George Ruhlen, Constructing Quartermaster In early 1891 Colonel George Ruhlen, QMC, then Captain, was appointed by the Secretary of War to be in charge of constructing the first buildings on Ft. Bliss at its present site on La Noria . . . — Map (db m101373) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Depression Era Group: 1927 - 1939 — Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District
These red brick Craftsman-style bungalows and the Spanish Eclectic-style quarters across the parade ground to the south were built between 1930 and 1939. Their construction was part of a nationwide Army building program which added many new officer . . . — Map (db m101725) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — First Expansion Period — 1913 - 1917
The first major expansion of facilities at Fort Bliss occurred between 1913 and 1917 when the post’s focus shifted from infantry to cavalry. This shift coincided with a build-up of forces and facilities to support a full cavalry regiment to protect . . . — Map (db m101369) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — First Post Hospitals — Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District
The five brick buildings in this area are the post's first two hospitals. The first, Building 8, was constructed in 1893. Both floors were originally encircled by a wood verandah. A covered walkay extended to adjacent Building 9, an isolation ward . . . — Map (db m98392) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Hammett House — 303 Sheridan Road
These quarters are named for Chief Warrant Officer Robert C. (Charlie) Hammett (1969-2008). A native of Tucson, Arizona, CW3 Hammett enlisted in the Army in 1990. He was subsequently selected as a Command and Control Systems Warrant Officer. During . . . — Map (db m98389) HM WM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Hinman Hall — Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District
Hinman Hall, named for Brigadier General Dale Durkee Hinman who commanded the Antiaircraft Artillery Training Center at Fort Bliss in 1943, was the administrative headquarters for the U.S. Army Air Defense Artillery School for over 50 years. It was . . . — Map (db m94266) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Historical Building 241 - The Guardhouse, 1893
Captain George Ruhlen designed a series of buildings along a central parade field for the newly appointed Fort Bliss at Lanoria Mesa. Building 241 originally served as the guardhouse for Fort Bliss and is a contributing element of the Fort Bliss . . . — Map (db m93907) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Initial Construction Period — 1891 - 1899 — Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District
At the close of the Indian Wars in the late 19th century, the U.S. Army consolidated a number of small posts into larger, more permanent installations. As part of this consolidation, construction of a new post at the present location was ordered in . . . — Map (db m101370) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Joshua Micah Mills — November 1, 1984 – September 16, 2009
A boy … A dream             A man … A goal Achieve … at last. “Silver Wings Upon His Chest” Staff Sergeant Joshua Micah Mills was born November 1, 1984 at William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Ft. Bliss, TX to a career . . . — Map (db m101372) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Mexican War Refugee Camp
On November 5, 1913, Pancho Villa's revolutionary forces attacked Chihuahua City, Mexico. Mexican Federal Administrators, Mexican Army troops and their families, and many other refugees evacuated the city. They traveled east to Ojinaga via train and . . . — Map (db m94263) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Pershing Circle
Pershing Circle was built as part of the 1930s expansion of Fort Bliss. It was designed to contain four buildings: a post theater, chapel post exchange, and division headquarters; however, the chapel and theater (now Sage Hall) were the only . . . — Map (db m98381) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Polk House
These quarters are dedicated to GEN James Hilliard Polk (1911-1992). As newlyweds, LT and Mrs. Polk lived here in the late 1930s, when he served with the 8th Cavalry Regiment. During World War II, he commanded 3rd Cavalry Group as it spearheaded . . . — Map (db m94264) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Quarters 213, Chaparral House
These quarters are named in honor of both the Chaparral bird (or "Roadrunner"), native to the desert southwest, and the Chaparral Air Defense Missile System. This weapon is a highly mobile, heat-seeking short range missile, effective against all . . . — Map (db m94269) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Quarters 236 Sheridan
These quarters served as temporary housing for Lieutenant George S. Patton, Jr. in 1915 when he arrived to join the 8th Cavalry Regiment. Patton lived here a short time with two other officers; one of whom employed a cook. Patton then deployed to . . . — Map (db m101371) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Second Expansion Period Group — 1918-1926 — Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District
These warehouses were built for the Eighth Quartermaster Corps in 1921 as a supply depot for Army outposts and units away from Fort Bliss. Unrest related to the Mexican Revolution (1910-1921) led to the establishment of a string of border outposts. . . . — Map (db m98391) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — The Howze House — Quarters One
These quarters are named for Major General Robert L. Howze (1864-1926), Commanding General, El Paso Military District and 1st Cavalry Division. During World War I, he commanded the 38th Division and later the 3rd Division. In 1919 General Howze . . . — Map (db m98383) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — V2 Rocket
Developed in Germany, the V-2 was the first liquid fueled rocket to see combat. Approximately 3,170 launches were made between September 1944 – March 1945 targeting Belgium, London and Paris. The V-2 development program used a large portion of . . . — Map (db m130446) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — William Wallace Smith Bliss Monument
North face: Buena Vista W. W. S. Bliss Lt. Col. U S Army Born at Whitehall, N. Y. August 17, 1815 Died at Pascagoula, Mississippi August 5, 1853 West face: Monterey Admitted a Cadet at West Point 1829 . . . — Map (db m94270) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Fort Bliss — Wilson Park — Buildings 720, 721, 723, 724, & 725 dedicated 1970
Captain John Stanton Wilson was born 11 January 1941 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He was commissioned through the New Mexico National Guad in 1965, and called to active duty in February 1966. Severely wounded during his first tour in Vietnam, he came . . . — Map (db m98341) HM WM

26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.