The dynamite stored in this little bunker was used to blast the area's first railway tunnel starting in 1892. The tunnel, built by Union Lumber Company, runs through the ridge dividing the Pudding Creek and Noyo River Watersheds.
Powder . . . — — Map (db m96561) HM
Established in this vicinity June 11, 1857 by 1st Lieutenant Horatio Gate Gibson, 3rd Artillery, later Brigadier General, US Army. Named by Gibson in honor of his former company commander, Braxton Bragg, later General, C.S.A. Abandoned in October . . . — — Map (db m10585) HM
The strange and beautiful objects found along this beach started out as trash. Until 1959, this site was Fort Bragg's garbage dump. Years of smoldering fires and salt-water spray melted and twisted old cars, household trash, electric materials, and . . . — — Map (db m96556) HM
Long ago, young Lucy Cooper became annoyed by the wind that blew her clothing around. She brought sacred acorn meal from her house and offered it to the wind. The wind stopped.
Lucy Cooper's Pomo village, called Kah-la-deh-mun, . . . — — Map (db m96564) HM
In 1893 David Franklin Parrish, his wife, Sarah Linebough Parrish, six daughters and four sons, “set out for Fort Bragg...to raise potatoes and peas on the bluffs by the ocean.” David had worked with Luther Burbank in Santa Rosa during . . . — — Map (db m64773) HM
Has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior
[Statement of Significance: 1886; Frame; clapboarding; 2 1/2 stories; modified rectangle; hipped roof with hipped dormers; . . . — — Map (db m12025) HM
You would have heard the buzz of saw blades, the roar of trains and trucks moving logs in and lumber out, the blast of steam from the smoke stack, and the set-your-watch-by-it blow of the lunch whistle. But that's all gone now.
The old mill that . . . — — Map (db m96562) HM