Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Fort Howard, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Battery Clagett image, Touch for more information
By F. Robby, September 10, 2013
Battery Clagett
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fort Howard — Battery Clagett
Completed in 1900, this battery contained two 3" rapid fire guns. Named in honor of Lieut. Levi Clagett, who was killed in the defense of Fort McHenry. — Map (db m68690) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fort Howard — Battery Nicholson
Completed in 1900 and armed in 1902 with two 6" disappearing rifles. Named in honor of Judge Joseph H. Nicholson, Captain of Volunteer Artillery, in the defense of Fort McHenry, September 13 & 14, 1814. — Map (db m68692) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fort Howard — Fort HowardThe Bulldog at Baltimore’s Gate
Fort Howard had its beginning when the U. S. Government began to purchase land for the post in 1896. Its location at the mouth of the Patapsco River, was excellent for its purpose, the defense of the City of Baltimore from naval attack. Until April . . . — Map (db m2124) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fort Howard — Fort Howard
Built here in 1896 to defend Baltimore from possible naval attack. Named for Col. John Eager Howard, Revolutionary hero. Five coastal artillery batteries bore names of Col. Davis Harris; Francis Scott Key; Judge Joseph H. Nicholson; Brig. Gen. John . . . — Map (db m68401) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fort Howard — North Point Beachhead
At 3 a.m. on September 12, 1814, British began landing troops and supplies here from ships anchored in Old Road Bay. By 6:30 a.m., columns formed on Long Log Lane (now Old North Point Road) when bugles sounded at 7 a.m., 4700 British soldiers, . . . — Map (db m2127) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fort Howard — Power House
At one time, this building housed all of the generators and power distribution panels for the fort's gun emplacements. — Map (db m68696) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fort Howard — Searchlight Power House
This building originally contained the electrical generating and power distribution equipment for the fort's searchlights, used for night illumination of the river. — Map (db m68694) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fort Howard — The LandingStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
Transport ships carrying a British invasion force arrived in Old Road Bay, September 11, 1814. Before dawn the next day, troops were ferried to this landing site to begin the 15-mile march to Baltimore. Reinforced by navy warships, they expected . . . — Map (db m79775) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fort Howard — Todd’s Inheritance(National Register of Historic Places)
Thomas Todd settled here from Gloucester County, Virginia, in 1664. Homestead has remained in Todd Family for more than three centuries. Farm once contained 1,700 acres. 17th Century brick house was burned by British Soldiers September 14, 1814, as . . . — Map (db m2123) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fort Howard — Todd’s InheritanceCitizens in Harm’s Way
Todd’s Inheritance is a lasting symbol for Americans land especially Baltimoreans) who stood their ground when attacked by invading forces. Throughout the War of 1812, settlements around the Chesapeake Bay fell to British raiders who had superior . . . — Map (db m79874) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.