Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
9 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Fort Lawn

 
Culvert Marker Illustration image, Touch for more information
By Michael Sean Nix, November 22, 2008
Culvert Marker Illustration
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Culvert
At several points along its path, the canal crossed natural streams flowing toward the river. To avoid damage to the fragile canal bed, the streams were channeled under the canals through culverts. This arch culvert consisted of a wing wall on the . . . — Map (db m13740) HM
2South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Footbridge
Not far from the Guardlock, the canal passed under a wooden bridge. Cut stone abutments on each bank supported the simple wooden truss structure. This was the first of four bridges that crossed the canal on it two mile path beside the river. The . . . — Map (db m13739) HM
3South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Great Indian Warrior Trading Path(The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road)
The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/ Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the Governors of NY, PA, & VA and the . . . — Map (db m13719) HM
4South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — 12-4 — Home Site of Justice John Gaston
Two miles south, at Cedar Shoals on the south side of Fishing Creek, was the home of John Gaston, Esq., Justice of the Peace under both the Royal and State governments. Though advanced in years, he was the leading spirit in arousing resistance to . . . — Map (db m13758) HM
5South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — 12-5 — Landsford / Landsford In The Revolution
[Front Side] Located about 4 mi. E., this ford, an early Indian crossing, was probably named for Thomas Land who received a nearby land grant from the Crown in 1775. Used by Patriot and British armies during the American Revolution. Later . . . — Map (db m13757) HM
6South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Landsford Canal
A vital link in South Carolina's internal improvements program of the 1820's, the canal stands as a monument to the following men who typified the South Carolina spirit during this first great era of public works building: William R. Davie, . . . — Map (db m13720) HM
7South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — Mill Complex
Near its halfway point, the canal passed the mill complex built by William Richardson Davie around 1810. This mill sawed lumber and ground grain, both by use of water power. A waste weir at the entrance to the complex regulated the level of water in . . . — Map (db m13744) HM
8South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — The Canal Bed
It is this upper section of the canal that has best survived periodic flooding in tact. The canal bed is not always straight but curves in several places to follow the contour of a natural hill. By cutting into the hill along a constant level and . . . — Map (db m13745) HM
9South Carolina (Chester County), Fort Lawn — The Guardlock
During the Nineteenth Century the rivers of South Carolina Piedmont were notorious for flooding. This lock was used to safely lower boats into the canal when high river levels threatened to damage the banks and structures. During periods of normal . . . — Map (db m13723) HM
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 28, 2020