17 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Fort Plain
Fort Plain, New York and Vicinity
▶ Montgomery County (185) ▶ Fulton County (126) ▶ Herkimer County (102) ▶ Otsego County (56) ▶ Saratoga County (459) ▶ Schenectady County (159) ▶ Schoharie County (112)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|Of Gen. Van Rensselaer's
American Army, Oct. 19, 1780.
Also site of Palatine Church
1770 — — Map (db m137537) HM|
|In October 1780 Sir John Johnson led an British raiding force of 875 men up the Schoharie Creek and then west along the Mohawk River, destroying almost every farm in their path. At Stone Arabia, the vanguard of his troops engaged Massachusetts . . . — — Map (db m120862) HM|
Colonel Lewis DuBois with
5th New York Regiment and
Artillery left Fort Plain for
Otsego Lake, June 25, 1779 — — Map (db m75282) HM|
|Woman's rights leaders Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton spoke here March 25, 1867 on universal suffrage. — — Map (db m136735) HM|
|Home and place of refuge
built circa 1770 by Nicholas
Failing for his son Henry.
Later the home of
Col. Hendrick Frey — — Map (db m137277) HM|
|"Let the Work of Our Fathers Stand" * * * * * On the Adjacent Hill Summit Stood Fort Plain, Erected 1776, and Its Blockhouse, Built 1780. Military Headquarters of the Mohawk Valley 1780 -1784 Gen. Washington Here July 30, 1783 * * * * * Erected by . . . — — Map (db m5282) HM|
Northern limit of raid by Brant's Indians-Tories
16 killed - 60 captured
100 buildings burned
Aug. 2, 1780 — — Map (db m5286) HM|
Free Library Formed 1885 By
Women's Library Association
and Martha Bortle, Local
Educator. Chartered 1894.
— — Map (db m95733) HM|
|In honor of the Patriots who labored and fought for the cause of American Liberty in the Mohawk Valley 1777-1783 — — Map (db m136882) WM|
|Home of Nelson B. Greene
from 1885 to 1955. Managed
Mohawk Valley Register.
authored local histories. — — Map (db m132732) HM|
pioneer, patriot & Revolutionary soldier — — Map (db m130962) HM|
|Site of first meeting place Palatine District Committee of Safety August 27, 1774 — — Map (db m131481) HM|
|This is one of the oldest churches in the Mohawk Valley. Lutheran Palatine Germans built it in 1770 using limestone taken from the creek nearby. The construction cost $155,000 in 2008 dollars with funding donated primarily by the Wagner, Nellis, . . . — — Map (db m137547) HM|
|First Frame of Text: Fort Plain Museum
Fort Plain, also known as Fort Rensselaer, was built 1778-79 on two-thirds of an acre of hilltop, an ideal strategic and defensive position. Families from nearby settlements retreated . . . — — Map (db m75301) HM|
Dutch Reformed Church
First Built 1750
Burned in 1780 Raid
Rebuilt 1785 - Torn Down 1840 — — Map (db m75274) HM|
|Sand Hill School
Site of the First School
Built in this Section
Before Revolution — — Map (db m75279) HM|
Largest Mohawk Indian Town
Van Den Bogaert 1634
55 Houses - Over 1000 People — — Map (db m75281) HM|