Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Fort Stanton, New Mexico Historical Markers

 
American Merchant Marine Monument image, Touch for more information
By Michael Herrick, April 3, 2017
American Merchant Marine Monument
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — American Merchant Marine Monuments
In Memory Of The Men And Women Of The American Merchant Marine ----------------------- American Merchant Marine Veterans This ancient anchor is a tribute to Merchant Mariners the world over. Donated by Betty Wattam in memory of Joseph . . . — Map (db m102809) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Barracks / Dining HallBuilding 6
Photo etching caption: Soldiers of the 10th Infantry Co. E in front of the barracks in 1892 This building, like most, has been modified numerous times to suit the needs of the entities that managed it. Originally built in 1855 as a . . . — Map (db m86182) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Buildings 17 - 20
Originally built by the Army in 1876 as four separate buildings, these adobe structures replaced older laundress quarters attached to the barracks. In 1928, they were joined together to create seven apartments for hospital staff. ‘Four women . . . — Map (db m85351) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — CCC Camp/German Internment Camp
As part of the ‘New Deal’ envisioned by President Roosevelt, a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was built in 1934 across the Rio Bravo from the fort. The Fort Stanton CCC employed civilians in soil conservation, forestry and women’s programs . . . — Map (db m85347) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Chapel
The Catholic chapel was originally built in 1913 on a wing of building 11 across the parade ground. In 1938, buildings 10, 11 and 12 were demolished, but the chapel was left free standing. A new stone façade was added to the old chapel consisting . . . — Map (db m85868) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Commanding Officer's QuartersBuilding 1
During the Army era, the fort’s commander and his family lived in this beautiful stone structure. During the Hospital’s tenure, it was the residence of the Medical Officer in Charge. Over the years, it is the only building that has remained . . . — Map (db m86089) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Commissary WarehouseBuilding 12
Photo etchings caption: Building 12, torn down in 1930, was actually attached to Building 13. When it was taken down, a chunk of the roof fell into a lady’s bedroom. Originally built in 1855 of adobe, the building that occupied this . . . — Map (db m86189) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Community House
This beautiful building was constructed in 1931 for use by civilian employees of the hospital (and their families) for social activities. Patients utilized the ‘Seaman’s Social Club’ located just to the west of this building. In most aspects of life . . . — Map (db m133552) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Administration BuildingBuilding 9
This building, like most others on the parade ground, was first constructed in 1855 as a single story, stone structure. It included an Adjutant’s office, library, and guard house. Later remodels added a second floor and arched porch. It was known as . . . — Map (db m85802) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Stanton
Named for Captain Henry W. Stanton, Fort Stanton was established May 4, 1855 as a military fort to protect settlers from Apache attacks. Operated as a military fortification until 1896, it played a part in the Civil War, was the first Tuberculosis . . . — Map (db m119454) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Stanton Cave
Fort Stanton Cave Has been designated a Registered Natural Landmark The site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of man's environment . . . — Map (db m108359)
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Stanton Medical Center
Established in Eighteen Hundred Fifty Five as a fort and cavalry post to control Geronimo’s Mescalero Apaches. Named after Captain Henry W. Stanton, First United States Dragoons, who was killed in action with the Indians. By a Presidential . . . — Map (db m121962) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — GuardhouseBuilding 8
James Dolan, Emil Fritz, W.W. Martin and Lawrence Murphy established a business that would become the focus of the Lincoln County War. Fritz and Murphy (and possibly Dolan) served at Fort Stanton as soldiers. Originally built of adobe in 1879, . . . — Map (db m85804) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Hospital AdministrationBuilding 7
T.B. Patients in front of the hospital administration building. This building was constructed of local stone by troops of the 1st Dragoons and 8th Infantry as a barracks in 1855. It was utilized in that capacity until the fort was closed by the . . . — Map (db m85808) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Japanese Segregation Camp No. 1
During 1945, 17 men of Japanese ancestry were imprisoned here in what was officially known as Japanese Segregation Camp No. 1.

Shortly after Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor, the federal government confined more than 120,000 Japanese American . . . — Map (db m121880) HM

New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — L.G. Murphy Sutler Store
On the site located 100 yards west of this sign resided the L.G. Murphy Sutler Store (the post trader). Begun in 1866 by Lawrence G. Murphy and Emil Fritz (both former Dragoons stationed at Fort Stanton), it was a large, rambling, adobe structure of . . . — Map (db m123794) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — New Hospital(Site of Building 5)
This new hospital building replaced the old tubercular hospital (buildings 10 and 11) in 1936. It was state of the art when constructed and boasted a bed capacity of 85 patients and the first elevator in the state of New Mexico. Doctors that . . . — Map (db m85869) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Nurse's QuartersSite of Building 11
This building was constructed in 1940 on the site of building 11 (formerly barracks and then the original tubercular hospital). While it does not match the style or construction of most of the original fort buildings, it does reflect the Territorial . . . — Map (db m85923) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Officer’s QuartersBuilding 4
Constructed in 1855, this building was originally a single story complex of four quarters for officers and their families. It has evolved over time to be more spacious and comfortable with a second story, bay windows and covered porches. Seen in the . . . — Map (db m86307) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Officer's QuartersBuilding 3
This building was constructed in 1883 of adobe. It was designed to house two officers and their families. During the hospital years, it was used as doctor’s housing, boasting two finely appointed apartments. What a privilege it was to be . . . — Map (db m85928) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Officer's QuartersBuilding 13
Built in 1855, as a single story, gabled roof structure of simple design and construction, this building housed officers and their families. It was here that 2nd Lieutenant John J. Pershing was quartered in 1887 and where he met his future wife. On . . . — Map (db m86734) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Stables and Corrals
Corrals have stood on this site since 1855. The current rock corrals were built in 1877 to replace older ones that burned. These structures housed horses and mules necessary for Cavalry and freighting operations. When the hospital took over Fort . . . — Map (db m85775) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — TB Tent Cottages
On these terraces were located 40 – 70 tent cottages that housed ambulatory tuberculosis patients between 1900 and 1963. These two man cottages had roll up canvas sides that were kept open for the fresh air regarded as essential to curing . . . — Map (db m85768) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020