60 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Fort Wayne
Fort Wayne, Indiana and Vicinity
▶ Allen County (63) ▶ Adams County (6) ▶ DeKalb County (11) ▶ Huntington County (49) ▶ Noble County (19) ▶ Wells County (7) ▶ Whitley County (30) ▶ Defiance County, Ohio (57) ▶ Paulding County, Ohio (14) ▶ Van Wert County, Ohio (22)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|Born in Massachusetts, 1776
Died near Fort Wayne, 1843.
Buried in the David Archer Cemetery
Pioneer apple grower of Indiana and Ohio.
The Indiana Horticultural Society
and all those who are endeavoring to carry
on the work he nobly commenced . . . — — Map (db m59649) HM|
|Abraham Lincoln Came to Indiana in 1816 when but seven years old. Upon becoming of age in 1830 he migrated to Illinois. This statue by Paul Manship portrays Abraham Lincoln as a Hoosier youth. — — Map (db m162800) HM|
| ( Front )
Argonne —— ∮—— Cantigny
Allen County and Fort Wayne
to the Glory of their Sons
Loyalty — Courage
Sacrifice — Victory
1917 —— 1918 . . . — — Map (db m54627) HM|
Dedicated to the Memory
Of the Following
Buried in Allen County
Charles Weeks, Sr.
Samuel Bird, Sgt.
Gurdin Burnham, Sgt.
David Blair . . . — — Map (db m73263) WM|
|Colonel Hugh B. Reed served as first Commandant. Here the 30th, 44th, 74th, 88th, and 100th Indiana Regiments and the 11th Indiana Battery were organized. — — Map (db m65185) HM|
|In this house on October 6, 1908, was born Jane Alice Peters. Daughter of Frederick C. and Elizabeth Knight Peters, she took the professional name of Carole Lombard and became one of the most important figures in the motion picture industry. . . . — — Map (db m109155) HM|
Oldest church structure in continuous use in Fort Wayne area and seat of Catholicism in Northern Indiana.
Christianity carried to this part of the New World in 1600's by Catholic missionaries. Land formerly part of burial ground for Miami . . . — — Map (db m45024) HM|
|The Rural Branch School of the Church was located adjacent to the cemetery. School was conducted from 1844 to 1920. The building and grounds were sold to the State for the interchange of Highways I 69 and U.S. 27. — — Map (db m76433) HM|
of the Miami Indians
Teacher of his people
Friend of the United States
His endeavors toward peace
should serve as an inspiration
for future generations
This plot of ground, the last
resting place of Chief . . . — — Map (db m21066) HM|
|Fort Wayne business had a start on Duck Street, named for the 19th century Duck Creek that drained the area from the higher ground near Superior Street into the St. Mary’s River. Along Duck Creek in the 1840s and 50s stood the City Mills, one of the . . . — — Map (db m16997) HM|
|The Wabash & Erie Canal was instrumental in the construction of the first railways in Fort Wayne, which quickly became a railroading center in the Midwest. In 1852, along the canal at the present-day railroad elevation that borders the south edge of . . . — — Map (db m16996) HM|
|Around the turn of the century, the nationwide “City Beautiful” movement found local expression through the efforts of Charles Mulford Robinson and nationally known landscape architect George Kessler. Seeking to reclaim the natural . . . — — Map (db m17034) HM|
|Reopened November 12, 1952 as the Embassy Theatre Acquired by the Embassy Theatre Foundation December 2, 1974 — — Map (db m162799) HM|
|She encouraged local efforts to form First Presbyterian Church, establish a public library, support the national Women's Suffrage Movement, and donated land for Fort Wayne's first African-American church.
The Hamilton Estate on Clinton Street . . . — — Map (db m16967) HM|
|The confluence area of the Three Rivers was known to the native people since as early as the end of the last Ice Age, more than 10,000 years ago. As the glaciers melted and receded, they paused here creating a high point in the topography of the . . . — — Map (db m17064) HM|
|The concrete retention walls at the north end of the plaza will help downtown Fort Wayne withstand future flooding when the rivers rise. They were constructed where sandbaggers and volunteers worked during the flood of 1982 to build a dike to . . . — — Map (db m17061) HM|
French built a palisaded fort on this strategic site in 1722; named Fort Saint Philippe des Miamis. One of three French forts built in what is now Indiana to protect French fur trade from encroaching English. First of five . . . — — Map (db m21029) HM|
|An ancient Indian trail, through Pottawattomie country, variably called the Dragoon, White Pigeon, Great Northwestern and Fort Dearborn Road. After 1795 used for mail delivery between Fort Wayne and Fort Dearborn. Captain Wells, Wayne spy, was slain . . . — — Map (db m20782) HM|
Veterans Honor Degree of the American Legion
- "BLACKJACK II" Locomotive / BOXCAR represents the Heritage of 40 ET8.
- Origin is from WWI - France.
- Organized in 1920 by Legionaires as the Fun-Honor . . . — — Map (db m116314) WM
|Architect Eric R. Kuhne was commissioned to design a flood control plan that would provide for a park and premier festival center. It could also serve as a model for flood control in other sections of the country. The Headwaters Park Commission was . . . — — Map (db m17037) HM|
|Headwaters Park has been created by the citizens of Fort Wayne through their donations, ideas, and labor as a means of flood control in the city. Earlier designs had a similar purpose. George Kessler's plan of 1912 envisioned a greenspace for . . . — — Map (db m162798) HM|
|Home 1948-1967 of Farnsworth, inventor of television. Farnsworth (1906-1971) was instrumental in perfecting the image formation mechanism which enabled the first effective image transmission in 1927. Farnsworth Radio and Television Corporation in . . . — — Map (db m65186) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m162945) HM|
|Because of the often soggy conditions that discouraged use as either residential or commercial property, the area of Headwaters Park became known as the Jail Flats. The first jail in Allen County was a two-story hewn-log structure that was enclosed . . . — — Map (db m16998) HM|
| “Well done, good and faithful servant.”
(Ft. Wayne Chamber of Commerce – Jan. 7, 2927)
J.B. Franke dedicated his lift to service of others. He donated 80 acres to the City of Fort Wayne, which is now known as Franke park. Mr. . . . — — Map (db m119974) HM|
|Johnny Appleseed legendary planter of orchards across Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, was a real person named John Chapman. He was a friend to all God's creatures and a missionary for the Swedenborgian religion, a Christian denomination.
He was . . . — — Map (db m21560) HM|
|This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — — Map (db m54648) HM|
|This area of the Three Rivers was a site of settlement of Native Americans for as much as 10,000 years. The collection of villages known as Kekionga, located in the present-day Lakeside neighborhood, was a center of the Miami nation in historic . . . — — Map (db m21501) HM|
|The first professional organized league baseball game was played here on May 4, 1871 ending in a victory for the Fort Wayne Kekiongas over the Cleveland Forest Citys by a score of 2-0. A wooden structure was built in 1883 and rebuilt numerous times . . . — — Map (db m59686) HM|
|Founded 1859 - Dedicated May 30, 1860, was enrolled on the National Register of Historic Places February 17, 1978 by the U.S. Department of Interior. Here in Lindenwood thousands of memorials relate to local, state and national history. — — Map (db m44598) HM|
|Miami Chief Mishikinakwa or Me-she-kin-no-quah, known to the Euro-Americans as Little Turtle, born circa 1747, played a significant role in the settlement of the area surrounding the confluence of the Three Rivers. He was the most successful Native . . . — — Map (db m16976) HM|
|In the early 1790s, the United States Army suffered two serious defeats at the hands of Indians under the leadership of Little Turtle, war chief of the Miami nation. In response, President George Washington sent Revolutionary War hero Gen. . . . — — Map (db m119973) HM|
|Only land barrier
on shortest trade route
between Quebec and
Eastern landing of eight-
mile carry from St. Mary's
to Little River. Used by
Indians, French, British
and American traders. — — Map (db m21061) HM|
|Chief Little Turtle was one of the most feared and respected leaders during the frontier wars of the 1780s and 1790s when Fort Wayne was born. Known to his people as Meshekinnoquah, Little Turtle is thought to have been born in 1752 in a village . . . — — Map (db m21503) HM|
|Long before settlers appeared on the scene, the American Indian people here used the sandhill crane as a symbol for their tribe. Early British and American officials referred to the people we know as Miami as “Twightwees” in various . . . — — Map (db m17068) HM|
|The first Fort Wayne home of Mrs. Eliza E. George was near this spot. At the age of 54 she helped make Civil War nursing history. Mother George, as she was known to thousands of Union soldiers, served with front line troops in Mississippi, . . . — — Map (db m44085) HM|
| The Aqueduct
Carrying the Wabash and Erie Canal across the St. Marys River was located just north of the bridge about where the Nickle Plate Railroad crosses the river and was the playground and swimminghole for the West End Boys. Completed . . . — — Map (db m99093) HM|
The "Old Well," an important factor in the existence of the fort and its people, saved the fort from Indian fire brands in 1812. Fort Wayne was first built, near by, in 1794. It was rebuilt, on this site, in 1804, and 1815.
Research by . . . — — Map (db m21210) HM|
|Terminal point where French-Canadian boats, hollowed from 30-60 foot poplar logs, brought families and cargo up the Maumee River from Toledo and Detroit, and returned furs to Lake Erie in exchange for traders' supplies, from the late 1700's until . . . — — Map (db m16957) HM|
|This Purple Heart tribute is provided in remembrance of all combat wounded veterans who have made the supreme sacrifice for their country. May their noble virtues live forever in our memory. — — Map (db m73447) WM|
1761 - 1841
Made Chief of the
Miamis for his
Daring rescue of a
White prisoner from
Burning at the
Stake — — Map (db m52919) HM|
| Erected, 1750, by Captain Raimond
Surrendered to the British under Lieutenant Butler in 1760.
Ensign Richard Holmes and British garrison massacred by Miami Indians in 1763.
The most severe engagement of battle between Gen. Josiah . . . — — Map (db m21036) HM|
|Established in 1846 as the Fort Wayne Female College on grounds donated by Wm. Rockhill.
In 1855 the college consolidated with the Fort Wayne Collegiate Institute for Young Men and it was then call the M.E. College.
In 1890 the college grounds . . . — — Map (db m100138) HM|
|Organized by Rev. Jesse Hoover on October 14, 1837, with a congregation of 24 families, it was the first Lutheran church in the Fort Wayne area. A school was organized by Rev. Hoover the same year. Originally known as the First Evangelical Lutheran . . . — — Map (db m162795) HM|
|The present Allen County Courthouse is the fourth to serve the county's judicial needs. Its cornerstone was laid on November 17, 1897, in the largest public ceremony held in Fort Wayne to that time. Louis Peltier, who had been born in the fort in . . . — — Map (db m162792) HM|
|To the Memory of
Major John Wyllys
And His Brave Soldiers Who
Were Killed Near this Spot
In The Battle of
Oct. 22, 1790
With the Indians Under
Chief Little Turtle — — Map (db m21358) HM|
The Battle of Kekionga in October 1790 was the first battle fought by the United States Army after the War for Independence. The campaign had been ordered by President Washington against the Miami settlement of Kekionga, the center of Indian . . . — — Map (db m21497) HM|
|In 1852 John Brown, a stonemason, built this last remaining vestige of the early canal era in FortWayne.
A native of Glasgow, Scotland, Brown came by canal boat to Allen County in 1847 with his wife Mary. He and his Scottish business partner, . . . — — Map (db m100141) HM|
|Designed by Fort Wayne architects John Wing and Marshall Mahurin, the Elektron Building was built in 1895. The name Elektron inscribed on the cornice at the top of the building reflected the business interests in early electrical engineering of the . . . — — Map (db m162797) HM|
| [Left side of marker]:The First French Fort
The French lived among the Miami at the Three Rivers as early as 1697 when Jean Baptiste Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes (d. 1719), and Francois Marie Bissot de Vincennes, the son of Jean Baptiste . . . — — Map (db m26867) HM|
|1863 marked the beginning of the first organized Police Force in the city. The council named a captain and three patrolmen to serve from twilight to daybreak. On this site was located the first city Police Station. It contained three iron cages on . . . — — Map (db m44086) HM|
|Most often the rivers here brought prosperity. They are the reason humanbeings settled here; established a land portage to connect with the Wabash River system; and attracted the canal followed by rails, highways, industry, and homes. They brought . . . — — Map (db m17030) HM|
|The French built Fort St. Philippe (Fort Miamis) west of this area by 1722, to command the land portage here between the Maumee and Wabash Rivers. It was important to the French to protect the area in their political competition with the British as . . . — — Map (db m17067) HM|
| The Last Two American Forts
In 1798, Col. Thomas Hunt began construction on this site of the second American fort at the Three Rivers. this fort, which was completed in 1800, replaced the first, hastily built one erected nearby to the . . . — — Map (db m21219) HM|
|The Site Of
General Anthony Wayne's Fort
Dedicated October 22nd 1794
It Was The First
United States Fort
Near "Three Rivers"
This Fort Commanded
The Shortest Portage
Between The St. Lawrence
And Mississippi Systems
A Portage . . . — — Map (db m21020) HM|
|Anchoring the southern edge of the Headwaters Park “Thumb” until circa 1874, the Wabash & Erie Canal’s importance to transportation to the western part of the United States and to the growth of Fort Wayne was substantial. Headwaters Park . . . — — Map (db m16985) HM|
Edith (seated), scholar of Greek and Roman mythology, wrote the classic text, The Greek Way.
Alice (standing), Edith's sister, influential industrial physician, advanced the reform of unsafe working conditions in our nation's factories. . . . — — Map (db m16956) HM|
|On February 22, 1832, ground was broken two blocks north for the canal, which would link Lake Erie at Toledo with the Ohio River at Evansville. Jordan Vigus, Canal Commissioner, Charles W. Ewing, Samuel Hanna, Elias Murray participated in the . . . — — Map (db m21045) HM|
Once the Indian trail to Cincinnati
Of General Harmer's Army in 1790
Of General Wayne's
When leaving the stockade
Christened by Major Hamtramck
"Fort Wayne" in 1794
Also of General Harrison's Army . . . — — Map (db m52749) HM|
|A tract of 320 acres of land extending west of the St. Joseph River (the modern Bloomingdale and Spy Run neighborhoods) was set aside by an act of Congress in 1808 for the Indian agent William Wells in recognition of his many services to the U.S. . . . — — Map (db m26863) HM|