Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area.
In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris . . . — — Map (db m26666) HM
With the discovery of gold in California, the town around the Mission San Jose became the gateway and provision center for the “49er” on his way to the Southern Mines.
To meet these demands, the firm of Strauss and Co. was founded by . . . — — Map (db m64904) HM
The western branch studio of the Essanay Film Manufacturing Company stood on this site from 1913 to 1933. It was the first movie studio built for that purpose in Northern California.
The Essanay company of 52 people led by movie star cowboy . . . — — Map (db m63811) HM
Francis X. Bushman, Charlie Chaplin, Wallace Beery, Marie Dressler, Ben Turpin, Vic “Slippery Sam” Pottel and “Alkalie (sic) Ike” starred here 1910/1912. Earliest films starred Gilbert Anderson (Max Aronson) alias . . . — — Map (db m64009) HM
Joseph Silviera Leal and Julia Perry Leal built this tank house on their ranch in the Mission San Jose area of Fremont in 1925. The lower floor was a storage room and the upper floor a bedroom. The tank on top stored 5,000 gallons of water pumped . . . — — Map (db m29090) HM
This winery was founded in 1869 by Leland Stanford, railroad builder, Governor of California, United States Senator, and founder of Stanford University. The vineyard, planted by his brother Josiah Stanford, helped to prove that wines equal to any in . . . — — Map (db m100554) HM
At the Ohlone Indian village of Oroysom, Padre Fermín Francisco de Lasuén founded this fourteenth of twenty-one Franciscan missions June 11, 1797. Taught by Padre Narciso Durán, the Ohlone Orchestra and Choir became famous. By 1830 almost 2,000 . . . — — Map (db m100551) HM
Mormon pioneers traveled far in search of a land where they could worship God in an environment of religious tolerance. Named below are some of the pioneers who settled in Washington Township. They sailed . . . — — Map (db m28707) HM
Approximately one mile west John M. Horner built the first American schoolhouse non-Catholic chapel in Centerville, Alameda County, 1850. Said to be the first Latter Day Saint Chapel in California. A small structure with three windows in the side . . . — — Map (db m26629) HM
Thomas Jefferson Chadbourne and his wife Nettie built this Victorian carriage house in the 1870’s. He owned fine racing horses and stock horses and wanted them housed in suitable surroundings.
They purchased the property in 1872 from Charles C. . . . — — Map (db m28826) HM
Site of flour mill, Niles. Built 1853 by Don Jose De Vallejo, brother of General Vallejo, on his Rancho Arroyo De La Alameda.
Niles was once called "Vallejo Mills". Stone aqueduct carrying water for mill parallels Niles Canyon Road. — — Map (db m100545) HM
Washington Hotel originally located across the street as a two story adobe building. Destroyed by the 1868 earthquake. Rebuilt on the present site in the same year.
The building has served as a hotel, stage stop, state library, and present day . . . — — Map (db m54668) HM