Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Frenchtown, New Jersey Historical Markers

 
Frenchtown image, Touch for more information
By Alan Edelson, March 15, 2009
Frenchtown
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Frenchtown — Frenchtown
Top Town takes its name from the many French families that followed Paul Henri Mallet-Prevost, a Swiss refugee from the French Revolution who moved here in 1794. Bottom Called "Sunbeam" in 1759. Later Sherrard's Ferry. Present name for . . . — Map (db m17079) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Frenchtown — Frenchtown Methodist Episcopal Church
Congregation was formed in 1832 and met in a room on Bridge Street. This church erected in 1844 and enlarged in 1861. — Map (db m16651) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Frenchtown — Frenchtown Railroad
The Belvidere-Delaware Railroad c.1853. Later leased to the Penn R. R. System, the line allowed transit of Lehigh & Hudson R. R. passenger trains. — Map (db m16648) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Frenchtown — Frenchtown Veterans Monument
To honor those who fought to preserve our freedoms, the Citizens of Frenchtown dedicate these memorials to our valiant dead. Let us also dedicate them to the living ... and to the promise of the future. — Map (db m19570) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Frenchtown — Frenchtown World War 1 Monument Spirit of the American Doughboy
This tablet is erected as a tribute to the men of Frenchtown who served on the Great World War. 1917-1918 — Map (db m16650) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Frenchtown — Gem Building
Here, in 1755, stood the first store in Frenchtown, then known as Alexandriaville. In 1869, this building and the house to the left were built in the Italianate style for the merchant Oliver Worman. After Worman failed, in 1877, Hugh Warford bought . . . — Map (db m63106) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Frenchtown — Lower Argillite Alley
Lenape tribes used this abundant Hunterdon mineral for spearpoints and tools. One of their trade routes followed the River Road (now Rte. 29) southwards toward Sanhican (Trenton). — Map (db m114648) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Frenchtown — The Convention Army
In 1778 the Continental Congress moved 4,916 British and German troops captured at Saratoga, south from Boston along today's Route 513, crossing the Delaware at Sherrard's Ferry (Frenchtown). Many escaped along the way but 3,600 reached Virginia, to . . . — Map (db m46194) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement