Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Frostburg, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Allen Hall Marker image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, May 24, 2019
Allen Hall Marker
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Allen Hall
In 1957 Wendell D. Allen Residence Hall for men was completed. This building was named for the member of the State Board of Education who served in 1935, 1942, 1949, and 1956, and served as Board President 1952 - 1957. — Map (db m134380) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Blazing Braddock's Road
“We this day passed the ‘Aligany’ Mountain (Big Savage Mountain) which is a rocky ascent of more than two miles, in many places extremely steep…” Captain Robert Orme, June 15, 1755 British General Edward Braddock led a . . . — Map (db m5013) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Braddock Stone
The Braddock Stone, an early colonial highway marker, is named for British General Edward Braddock (1695—1755). During the early stages of the French and Indian War, General Braddock was dispatched to expel French forces from what is today . . . — Map (db m135549) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Chesapeake Hall
In 1970, Chesapeake Dining Hall was completed. This building was named after the Chesapeake Bay. — Map (db m134534) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Coal Mining
Bituminous coal had been discovered in what is now Allegany County before the French and Indian War. Although farmers worked small individual diggings prior to the Nineteenth Century, it would not be until about 1820 that coal obtained some degree . . . — Map (db m96387) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cook Chapel
In 1963, Cook chapel was completed. It was located in the former dining room of Frost Hall and named for Carrie Edith Ricketts Cook, an English Instructor, who taught from 1925 to 1937. — Map (db m134384) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad Depot
As seen on the right, the Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad Depot at Frostburg was constructed in 1891. The depot served as a passenger and freight station enroute between Cumberland, Maryland down the rich coal-mining region of Georges Creek to . . . — Map (db m48853) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cumberland Hall
In 1986, Cumberland Residence Hall was completed. This hall was named for the closest major city to Frostburg. — Map (db m134531) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Dunkle Hall
In 1970, Dunkle Hall was completed. This building was named for John L. Dunkle, Principal and President of Normal School #2 at Frostburg State Teachers College from 1923 - 1944. — Map (db m134528) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Elisabeth Hitchens Administration Building
In 1978, the Administration Building opened. This building was dedicated in 1982 as the Elisabeth Hitchens Administration building to honor a 40-year employee of the College. Hitchins was the institution's first registrar (1934) and the first . . . — Map (db m134389) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Faculty Hall
In 1913, a new gymnasium and elementary school were completed. It was demolished in 1985. — Map (db m134381) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frampton Hall
In 1965, the Jerome Frampton, Jr., library was completed. This building was named for the President of the State Board of Education. — Map (db m134527) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frederick Hall
In 1971, Frederick Residence Hall was completed. The building was named by popular student vote. — Map (db m134532) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frost Graves
This monument, erected in 1877, marks the graves of Meshach Frost (1787–1864) and his wife Catherine (1792–1876), founders of Frostburg. In 1812 they built their first home here. As the tavern Highland Hall, the building later . . . — Map (db m3550) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frost Hall
In 1919, Frost Hall opened. Named for Catherine Frost, the daughter-in-law of the founder of Frostburg, this was the first residence hall and was designated for Women. — Map (db m134386) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgThe Frost Family Legacy
Years before St. Michael’s Church was built, Meshach Frost and his wife Catherine purchased this property in 1812. When the Frosts bought the property, construction of the National Road was already underway. They soon found they were feeding . . . — Map (db m3551) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgThe National Road, Coal and Fancy Hotels
The National Road has sustained Frostburg for almost two centuries. As the road was being surveyed in 1811, Josiah Frost began laying out lots. Businesses, serving passing stagecoaches and wagons, soon lined a developing Main Street. By . . . — Map (db m3553) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frostburg
Frostburg can trace its history back to the very early 1800s, when the community was known as Mt. Pleasant and consisted of only three homes. By the time the National Road opened through in 1812, an early settler named Josiah Frost had lain off the . . . — Map (db m96388) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — FrostburgMaryland's Mountain City
Established: 1812 Elevation: 1820' Population: 9,002 County: Allegany Situated in the headwaters of the Georges Creek basin, Frostburg was settled in the early 1800's and served as a traveler's stop along the newly constructed National . . . — Map (db m96390) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Fuller House
In 1968, Fuller House was acquired by the college. This building is the former residence of William Fuller, grandson of one of Old Main's builders. — Map (db m134387) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — George's Creek Valley
During colonial exploration and settlement the valley provided a route to the western frontier. In 1753, preceding the French and Indian War, George Washington traveled this route to deliver Gov. Dinwiddie's order that the French abandon their . . . — Map (db m84736) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Gunter Hall
In 1960, Gunter Hall opened as the new student center. Named for William A. Gunter, local attorney and former president of both the State Board of College Trustees and State Board of Education, this building originally housed a dining hall, snack . . . — Map (db m134378) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Historic Braddock Road1755
The following was taken from the journal of Robert Orme, aid de camp to General Braddock - June 15, 1755: We this day (with 2100 troops, 1500 hundred horses, 200 wagons and twelve cannons) passed the Allegany Mountains, which is a rocky ascent of . . . — Map (db m96391) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Lewis J. Ort Library
In 1976, the library opened as the fourth location for institutional book holdings. In 1990, this building was named as the Lewis J. Ort Library to honor local business man and philanthropist. — Map (db m134529) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Lowndes Hall
In 1954 Lowndes Hall was completed. This building was named for two members of the Lowndes family - Lloyd, former governor of Maryland, and his son Taster, former President of the Maryland Board of Education. — Map (db m134530) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Martin’s Plantation
General Braddock's 2nd camp on the march to Fort Duquesne June 14th, 15th, 1755. The old Braddock Road passed to the southeast of the National Road from Clarysville to the "Shades of Death" near "Two Mile Run." The National Road was begun by the . . . — Map (db m440) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Nelson P. Guild Center
The Nelson P. Guild Human Resources Center opened in 1986, incorporating several existing buildings: Alleghany Hall, the second Laboratory School, and Garrett Hall. The Center is named for Dr. Nelson P. Guild, sixth president of the University . . . — Map (db m134526) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — 11 — Old Main
Frostburg State College was founded as a "Normal" school (two-year institution) by an act of the Maryland General Assembly in 1893. The cornerstone for Old Main, first building erected for the college, was laid in 1899. The school opened in 1902 and . . . — Map (db m134382) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Old Main
Ground was broken for Old Main on June 27, 1899. It was completed in 1900. This building was originally known as the Normal School. The colloquial use of the phrase "Old Main" was confirmed with the building's dedication in 1957. — Map (db m134383) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Public Safety Building
In 1983, the Public Safety Building opened. This building was formerly the Lincoln School, a public school for African-American students. — Map (db m134385) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Pullen Hall
Pullen Hall, opened in 1959, is named for Dr. Thomas G. Pullen, Jr., State Superintendent of Schools. The building originally served as the third location of the laboratory elementary school and now houses various student service departments. — Map (db m134388) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Simpson Hall
In 1957, I. Jewell Simpson Residence Hall for women was completed. This building was named for the State Supervisor of Elementary Schools who served as the Assistant State Superintendent of Schools for Elementary Instruction. — Map (db m134379) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Sowers Hall
In 1965, Lowell Martin Sowers, Sr., Residence Hall for men was completed. This building was named for the college science professor who taught from 1950 - 1961. — Map (db m134525) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad
The Railroad had reached Frostburg in 1852 and by 1863, the Cumberland and Pennsylvania (C&P) line ran from Cumberland through Mt. Savage to Frostburg and down George's Creek across the Potomac River to Piedmont, West Virginia. This connected the . . . — Map (db m96386) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The Naming of Frostburg
Contrary to popular belief that it was named for its frigid winter weather, Frostburg can trace its history back to 1800 when the community was known as Mt. Pleasant. By the time the National Road (authorized by Congress in 1806) opened through in . . . — Map (db m67475) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — The National Road
A trolley car and horse and buggy descend the old National Road at Eckhart Hill, just east of Frostburg. In 1806 construction of the Cumberland (National) Road was authorized by Congress. Its purpose was to connect the populated east and "navigable . . . — Map (db m96383) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Westminster Hall
In 1972, Westminster Residence Hall was completed. The building was named by popular student vote. — Map (db m134533) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Frostburg — The Long StretchThe Road that Built the Nation
As they climbed into the mountains west of Frostburg, travelers entered the longest straightaway on the National Road between Cumberland and Wheeling, West Virginia. They marveled at this long ribbon of road and christened it the "Long Stretch." . . . — Map (db m134376) HM

38 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement