Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gainesville, Florida Historical Markers

 
"The Great Endurance Run" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, July 30, 2013
"The Great Endurance Run" Marker
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — "The Great Endurance Run"
On November 23, 1909, the "Autoists" participating in "The Great Endurance Run" were treated to a gala banquet and overnight stay at "The White House Hotel" which was located at this exact site. This event ended the first day of driving for the . . . — Map (db m68316) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — A Cattle EconomyFive Centuries of Ranching on the Prairie
Hacienda de la Chua Organized cattle ranching at the prairie began here in the 1600s. You are standing at the site of the largest ranch in Spanish Florida, Hacienda de Ia Chua (right). Hacienda de la Chua was the main supplier of beef to St. . . . — Map (db m126488) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-809 — Alachua General Hospital
Historic Alachua General Hospital (AGH) stood on this site for nearly 82 years. A county or community-supported venture for much of its history, the hospital served the needs of Alachua County citizens for generations as a respected health care . . . — Map (db m93167) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Alachua Sink
The Alachua Sink, a named likely derived from the Potano word meaning “jug,” is the deepest of Paynes Prairie’s sinkholes and acts as a conduit for water entering the Floridan aquifer at a rate of up to 6 million gallons per day. . . . — Map (db m126294) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-191 — Alachula County Courthouse
The Alachua County Commission, by authority of the Florida Legislature, selected this site for a courthouse in 1854, moving the county seat from Newnansville. The first courthouse was a frame building completed in 1856. It was demolished on the . . . — Map (db m54997) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Boulware Springs Water Works Building
The Boulware Springs Water Works Building is located directly adjacent to the brick reservoir for the springs, on a site of gently rolling to steep topography at the northern edge of Paynes Prairie. Boulware Springs, free-flowing and . . . — Map (db m70587) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-794 — Chestnut Funeral Home
The Chestnut family in Gainesville has served the mortuary needs of the African American community in Alachua County since 1914. Charles S. Chestnut, Sr. was a founding member of the Florida Morticians Association in the early 1900s. The business . . . — Map (db m110984) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-163 — City of Gainesville
Designated the County Seat in 1854, and incorporated as a City in 1869, Gainesville takes its name from General Edmund Gaines, captor of Aaron Burr and commander of U.S. Army troops in Florida during the Second Seminole War. The town was the fourth . . . — Map (db m58133) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Confederate Soldier Memorial(Gainesville, Florida)
(North face) In Memory Of The Confederate Dead 1861 1865 (East face) "They Fell For Us and For Them Should Fall The Tears Of A Nation's Grief." (West face) They Counted The Cost And In Defence . . . — Map (db m54998) WM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Devil's MillhopperRegistered Natural Landmark
Devil’s Millhopper has been designated a Registered Natural Landmark This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the Nation’s natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of man’s environment . . . — Map (db m125200) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-166 — East Florida Seminary
Founded as the Gainesville Academy before the Civil War and later renamed, the East Florida Seminary served Gainesville's need for higher education until the University of Florida was created by the Florida Legislature in 1905. The Seminary school . . . — Map (db m58007) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-805 — Evergreen Cemetery
Evergreen Cemetery, known locally as "This Wondrous Place," began with the burial of a baby girl in 1856. The infant, Elizabeth Thomas, was the daughter of wealthy cotton merchant James T. Thomas and his wife, Elizabeth Jane Hall Thomas. The baby . . . — Map (db m93852) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-164 — First Gainesville Skirmish / Battle of Gainesville
First Gainesville Skirmish The first Civil War gunfire in Gainesville's streets came on February 15, 1864, when a raiding party of 50 men from the 40th Massachusetts Cavalry entered the City to attempt the capture of two trains. The raid was . . . — Map (db m57122) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida Extension
Since the early 1900s, the University of Florida has been sharing research discoveries and education programs with the people of Florida through its Extension Service. Faculty from the Florida Agricultural Experiment Station organized farmers' . . . — Map (db m93830) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Forced into ServiceFlorida De Soto Trail — August 13, 1539
It’s August 13, 1539… Hernando de Soto and his scouting party are passing through the Indian villages of Utinamocharra located just south of here – My army of more than 700 men follow behind. We will march quickly through this . . . — Map (db m126581) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-201 — Fort Clarke
Near this site was located Fort Clarke, originally a U.S. Army post during the Seminole War, and afterwards a settlement. The name is preserved in nearby Fort Clarke Church. At this site crossed the early settlement and military road connecting the . . . — Map (db m65191) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gainesville Regional Airport
The City of Gainesville began construction of this airport in April of 1940 as a project of the depression era Works Progress Administration. With WWII looming, construction was taken over by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1941. Initial . . . — Map (db m101411) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gainesville’s Only Artesian Spring
Located below is Gainesville’s only artesian spring. Tapped directly with a pipe in 1898, the springs provided the City’s only water source for many years. In 1905, Gainesville’s plentiful water supply was used to entice the University of . . . — Map (db m70590) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-473 — Gainesville's Railroads / Past Railroads of Gainesville
Gainesville's Railroads The coming of the Florida Railroad opened up the interior of Florida for both settlement and trading and helped establish Gainesville. On February 1, 1859 the Florida Railroad entered town and connected Fernandina . . . — Map (db m55038) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Gatorade's Birthplace
Gatorade, the sports drink that started an industry, was invented at the UF College of Medicine by a team of researchers led by Dr. Robert Cade. Gatorade was first field tested in a football scrimmage near this site and was first used in an October . . . — Map (db m120371) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-548 — Historic Haile Homestead At Kanapaha Plantation
One of the oldest houses in Alachua County, the Historic Haile Homestead was the home of Thomas Evans Haile, his wife Esther Serena Chesnut Haile and 14 of their children. The Hailes came here from Camden, South Carolina in 1854 to establish a . . . — Map (db m70202) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-402 — Jesse Johnson Finley
Jesse Johnson Finley was born in Wilson County, Tennessee, November 18, 1812 and educated in Lebanon, Tennessee. After service as a captain in the Seminole War of 1836, he studied law and was admitted to the bar. During a ten year period he served . . . — Map (db m93855) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-321 — Josiah T. Walls
Born in 1842 to slave parents in Winchester, Va., little is known of Josiah T. Walls' early life. After a short term of Confederate service, he enlisted in the Third Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops in 1863. Transferred to Picolata on the St. Johns . . . — Map (db m55400) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-735 — Kanapaha Presbyterian Church
In 1857, a group of Sea Island cotton planters from South Carolina who settled near here called an organizational meeting to establish Kanapaha Presbyterian Church. The Reverend William J. McCormick (1821-1883) was recruited from South Carolina to . . . — Map (db m111045) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Living Links to Florida's Past
The Spanish explorers brought cattle and horses to Florida when they visited in the 1500s. When the Spanish left, the cattle and horses stayed. Today's cracker cattle and horses are direct descendants of those animals. They are a link to all of the . . . — Map (db m126399) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Major General John R Alison(1912-2011)
John Richardson "Johnny" Alison was born in Micanopy, Florida, on November 12, 1912. He was a highly decorated flying ace and served in both theaters of World War II. Johnny Alison graduated from Gainesville High School in 1931 and the University of . . . — Map (db m101412) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Matheson House
Side 1: The Matheson homestead dates from 1857, when Alexander Matheson brought his family from Camden, South Carolina to establish a home on the Sweetwater Branch at the eastern edge of the new town of Gainesville. The present one and a . . . — Map (db m97622) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-585 — Mount Pleasant United Methodist Church
Mount Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church was founded on July 16, 1867, with the Reverend Isaac Davis serving as the first pastor. The Board of Trustees of the oldest black congregation in Gainesville purchased the lot on which the present church . . . — Map (db m55606) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-784 — Mt. Carmel Baptist Church
The congregation of the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church first met on May 4, 1896. The church’s original members worshipped in the St. Paul CME Church, and together the congregations bought a parcel of land in 1900 to build a new church. Its construction . . . — Map (db m110982) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-577 — Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
The Mt. Pleasant Cemetery was established c. 1883 by the Mt. Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church as a final resting place for its members and other African Americans in the city of Gainesville. Founded in 1867, the church purchased the 5.38-acre . . . — Map (db m55915) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-679 — Old Stage Road
The Old Stage Road, one of Alachua County’s original highways, passed near here. Dating from the 1820s, it connected the county’s two major towns, Newnansville (once the county seat near present day Alachua) and Micanopy to the south. The road . . . — Map (db m67689) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-492 — Roper Park / Old City Park
Roper Park is the original site of the parade grounds and barracks for the East Florida Seminary, a non-sectarian educational institution and a forerunner of the University of Florida, which was located in Gainsville in part due to the . . . — Map (db m55994) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-705 — Serenola Plantation
(side 1) In 1857, David Rogerson Williams II (1822-1907) of Darlington Co., SC, purchased 1,000 acres, including this site bordering Paynes Prarie, and developed them as a plantation known as "Serenola." The 1860 census shows 120 slaves . . . — Map (db m67687) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-165 — Spanish Cattle Ranching
Present-day Gainesville was the center of a large Spanish cattle ranching industry, founded on the labor of native Timuqua Indians, during the 1600s. LaChua, largest of the ranches, was a Spanish corruption of an Indian word, and in turn was . . . — Map (db m72916) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-302 — The Bailey House
This is one of the oldest houses in the city of Gainesville. It was constructed about 1850 by Major James B. Bailey, a prominent citizen of Alachua County. Bailey was a leading proponent of moving the county seat away from Newnansville to a new . . . — Map (db m55424) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-645 — The Gainesville Servicemen's Center / Thelma Boltin Center
The Gainesville Serviceman's Center The City of Gainesville purchased the Servicemen’s Center lot on December 7th 1942. The Federal Works Agency constructed a $37,000 building with a ballroom, stage, dressing rooms, second floor reading . . . — Map (db m67690) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Trains Rumbled Overhead
This old, concrete railway trestle is a remnant of the Florida Southern Railroad. Crews laid tracks here starting in 1882. The railroad played a major role in the founding and history of Gainesville. The Gainesville Hawthorne Trail now follows this . . . — Map (db m126478) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-360 — University of Florida Historic Campus
The University of Florida Campus Historic District and two individual campus buildings were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 and 1990 in recognition of their architectural and cultural significance and the coherence of the . . . — Map (db m54828) HM

38 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.