Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Georgetown, California Historical Markers

 
American River Inn image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, April 24, 2012
American River Inn
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — American River Inn
American River Inn formerly American Hotel Destroyed by fire, 1899 Rebuilt by F. Schmeder 1899 — Map (db m54944) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 17 — Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall
[Three small markers are mounted on the front of the building:] Marker 1: Balsar House A hotel built in 1850 by Madam Balsar Remodeled for an opera house in 1870. Restored by the Independent Order Odd Fellows and used as a . . . — Map (db m54812) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Chief Jack Anderson
This monument is presented in appreciation for the commitment, loyalty, leadership, service, and vision provided to the people of the Georgetown Divide by Chief Jack Anderson The following are a few of his notable accomplishments prior to . . . — Map (db m11379) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Civil War Armory
Built in 1862 for the Georgetown Home Guard — Map (db m54931) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 484 — Georgetown
Founded August 7, 1849 by George Phipps and party. Nicknamed Growlersburg from the heavy nuggets that “growled” in the minersí pans. Georgetown was the hub of an immensely rich gold area. After the disastrous fire of 1852 the old town . . . — Map (db m57962) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown - Pride of the Sierra / Growlersburg / E Clampus Vitus
Georgetown Pride of the Sierras Georgetown was founded in 1849 by George Phipps, a member of a party of sailors prospecting for gold, who first pitched his tent near the head of what is now known as Empire Canyon. George's town quickly . . . — Map (db m54773) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Blues
A Military Company Was Organized At Georgetown In August 1859, Called The Georgetown Blues This Is In Honor Of Them, And Dedicated To All United States Veterans Who Have So Honorably Answered Their Nationís Call To Duty America . . . — Map (db m55078) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Community United Methodist Church
During the 1850ís the Methodists were the first to serve in the mining towns of El Dorado County. Some ministers traveled on horseback from one mining town to another with a Bible and a Colt Revolver. Known as Georgetown Methodist Episcopal Church, . . . — Map (db m55075) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Firehouse
This firehouse, completed in 1965, was built to replace one on the opposite side of Main Street which was inadequate to house modern equipment. Headquarters of the Georgetown Fire District, now in this building, were formerly on Church Street. — Map (db m54929) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Hotel
Built 1856 Destroyed twice by fire and rebuilt in 1896 — Map (db m67570) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 2010-04 — Georgetown School
Education for children on the Georgetown Divide began with home schools for a few gold miner families in the early 1850s. The first permanent school was established in 1854, on School Street. It was replaced in 1890 by a two-story school house on . . . — Map (db m93981) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgetown Volunteer Firemen
This monument is dedicated to the Georgetown Volunteer Firemen past and present who have served this community for 125 years. This bell had served as the fire alarm for many years until retired in 1965 when the new station was built. Material . . . — Map (db m11376) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Georgia Slide
One and a half miles north of Georgetown sailors from Georgia established claims in 1849. General store and mining camp in 1850 which later produced by seam diggins hydraulic and flood sluicing methods. The famous Blue Rock, Pacific Beattie and . . . — Map (db m54943) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 521 — Greenwood
John Greenwood, a trapper and guide who came to California in 1844, established a here a trading post in 1849. The mining town of Greenwood, which developed during the Gold Rush, boasted a theater, 4 hotels, 14 stores, a brewery, and 4 saloons. . . . — Map (db m10447) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Miners Club
Built 1862 Operated as morgue during Civil War — Map (db m55077) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Shannon Knox House
Oldest Residence in Georgetown Built in the late Spring and Summer of 1854 — Map (db m54823) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — St. James Catholic Church ó Built 1923
In May 1980 with the help of Msgr. Patrick Nolan this church was saved from being torn down and was then moved from Main Street to Buffalo Hill by the Jeepers Jamboree Committee for Preservation as a historical building of early Georgetown. . . . — Map (db m54928) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — The American Hotel ó Built in 1863
Served as – hotel, rooming house, sanitarium and private residence during mining era. Burned in 1897 fire, rebuilt in 1899. — Map (db m54875) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — The Dysfunctional Organization (TDO)
On Labor Day Weekend 2004, The Dysfunctional Organization held the first "Cantina for the Con." With the sale of that first "Dysfunctional" taco, "Cantina for the Con" became an annual Labor Day event. To date, "Cantina for the Con" has raised over . . . — Map (db m106333) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — GPY 141-02 — The Rubicon
Historically speaking, to cross the Rubicon River meant that you had passed the point of no return. This trail was originally used by Native Americans as a trade route. In the 1800s it became the main byway from Georgetown to Lake Tahoe. The route . . . — Map (db m105984) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — Wells Fargo Building
Wells Fargo Building and State Stop Built in 1852 — Map (db m54932) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement