Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Georgetown, Delaware Historical Markers

 
“Pettijohn’s Old Field” Marker with 2011 paint scheme , at the Court of Chancery image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, October 18, 2011
“Pettijohn’s Old Field” Marker with 2011 paint scheme , at the Court of Chancery
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-86 — “Pettijohn’s Old Field”
The future home of Sussex County’s seat of government was a sparsely populated rural area when the 76 acres which would become the Town of Georgetown were purchased on May 9, 1791. Located “near the centre” of the country at a place . . . — Map (db m423) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-95 — Academy / Masonic Hall
In 1827 the Delaware legislature authorized a lottery for the purpose of funding the construction of “an Academy and Masonic Hall.” Land was purchased in 1840, and construction commenced the following year. The building was formally . . . — Map (db m427) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Delaware Confederate War Memorial
Base inscription-erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy Caleb Ross Chapter #2635 and the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Delaware Grays Camp #2068. Front text-not legible, back text-not legible, side text-Smith Gilley, Confederate Army, . . . — Map (db m105569) WM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — S 76 — Delaware Technical and Community College
Site of the first community college in the State of Delaware. Formerly William C. Jason High School, this college was created by the Delaware General Assembly in 1966 and opened the doors to students in September 1967. Because of its central . . . — Map (db m49022) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-96 — General Alfred T.A. Torbert
Born in Georgetown on July 1, 1833, Torbert attended local schools prior to his appointment to the West Point Class of 1855. After the outbreak of the Civil War he rose rapidly in rank, serving as a regimental and brigade commander of New Jersey . . . — Map (db m39375) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — S-72 — George Alfred Townsend Birthplace
George Alfred Townsend, famous Civil War newspaper correspondent, journalist and author, was born on this block on January 30, 1841. Townsend’s novels and poetry reflect his deep love for his native region. His best-known historical novel, The . . . — Map (db m38692) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-46 — Georgetown
Site of town purchased May 9, 1791 from Abraham Harris, Rowland Bevins,and Joshua Pepper, and laid out for county-seat of Sussex County in accordance with Act of General Assembly of January 29, 1791. Named Georgetown in honor of George Mitchell, . . . — Map (db m49083) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-170 — Georgetown Fire Company
On April 11, 1903, the commissioners of the Town of Georgetown held a public meeting to organize a fire company for the community. The effort was in response to the demands of businessmen and homeowners who had experienced rising insurance . . . — Map (db m48860) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC- 133 — Georgetown Presbyterian Church
In 1859 a petition was submitted to the Lewes Presbytery requesting the creation of a Presbyterian Church in Georgetown. The congregation was organized the following year. Meetings were first held in the Sussex County Courthouse. The . . . — Map (db m48861) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-193 — Georgetown Train Station
In 1857 efforts to extend a rail line from Harrington to the harbor at Lewes were initiated. Though the line was completed to Milford in 1859, additional work was delayed until 1867. By 1868 the rails had reached Georgetown. With extension of the . . . — Map (db m38697) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-142 — Grace United Methodist Church
In the spring of 1891, Rev. Louis A. Bennett was directed to establish a Methodist Protestant Church in Georgetown. His efforts were successful, and a frame church was completed the following year on the northwest corner of East Market and King . . . — Map (db m49013) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Joseph T. Adams HouseBuilt in 1868
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Plaque placed Return Day 2000 — Map (db m38695) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Old Courthouse
Constructed in 1791 at the direction of the State Legislature, this structure served as the seat of Sussex County government until 1837, when it was sold and moved to this location to make way for the construction of the present County Courthouse. . . . — Map (db m38685) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-107 — Prospect A.M.E. Church
The roots of African-American Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a black “class” within the local Methodist society in the 1790’s. By the 1830’s a group of residents had affiliated themselves with Bishop . . . — Map (db m49017) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-88 — Relocation of the County Seat
The conflicting claims of the proprietors of Maryland and Pennsylvania resulted in a lengthy and sometimes violent dispute concerning the ownership and boundaries of Sussex County. Residents who had been Marylanders before the controversy was . . . — Map (db m424) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-85 — Return Day
This event draws thousands as winning and losing candidates joining in celebration on the Thursday following each general election. Poor traveling conditions and interest in the outcome of political contests may have resulted in an extended stay . . . — Map (db m426) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-101 — St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church
Incorporated on June 21, 1794, St. Paul’s P.E. Church is the oldest organized church in Georgetown. Prior to completion of the first church building, services were held in the Sussex County Courthouse. In 1805, a special lottery sanctioned . . . — Map (db m49011) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-87 — Sussex County Courthouse
In 1835 a lottery was authorized to raise funds to replace the frame structure which had served as Courthouse since 1791. Construction of the new building began in 1837 following the sale and relocation of the original Courthouse to its present site . . . — Map (db m425) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Sussex County Korean War Memorial
In Honor and Memory of All Korean War Veterans Who Served and Died for Freedom

LeRoy M Cook • Vernon L. Deshields • Gene O. Hanzer • Kenneth C. Hyslop • Laurence C. Layton • William A. Lockwood • Charles G. Messick • Darrell R. Steele • . . . — Map (db m38691) WM

Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Sussex County Vietnam Veterans MemorialWelcome Home
1Lt Thomas B. Adams, USA - Selbyville LCPL Linden Wayne Brittingham, USMC - Milton PFC William Joseph Bunting, USA - Frankford CPL Reginald Wayne Burris, USA - Ellendale SGT Richard Samuel Dennison, USA - Bethel PFC Elmer Lee Faulkner, Jr., USMC - . . . — Map (db m38687) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Sussex County World War II Memorial
In Honor of Those Who Paid the Supreme Sacrifice in World War II Arnold Lee Roach • Harry Ernest Hill • Harold Kenneth Scott • Robert E Marvel • John E. Adams • William H. Hudson • Edward P. Steele • Harold Lee West • E. Alden Townsend, III • . . . — Map (db m38689) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-139 — The Brick Hotel
This locally famous landmark was constructed in 1836 by Joshua S. Layton and Caleb B. Sipple, builders of the Sussex County Courthouse across the Square. It replaced a frame Public House that had stood on the site. County courts were held here . . . — Map (db m38694) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-111 — The Judges
This home takes its name from the many judges who have lived in it. The Judges was built circa 1809 by Peter Robinson, who served as Secretary of State for Delaware under three governors and was appointed Associate Justice for Sussex County in 1832. . . . — Map (db m38696) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — Wesley M.E. Chapel Cemetery
Site of 1st Methodist Chapel Erected in 1806 — Map (db m39376) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC -117 — Wesley United Methodist
This congregation’s beginnings can be traced to a visit from Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury to a gathering of farm families at the home of Abraham Harris on September 24, 1779. A prominent local landowner, Mr. Harris later conveyed a . . . — Map (db m49020) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — S 80 — William C. Jason Comprehensive High SchoolFirst African-American Secondary School In Sussex County
Named after the first African-American president of Delaware State College, the school opened in October 1950. Funds were provided in the will of H. Fletcher Brown a local philanthropist, and by the State General Assembly. Initially Jason . . . — Map (db m49021) HM

26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.