Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Georgetown, District of Columbia Historical Markers

 
1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, October 15, 2016
1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW Marker
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — 1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Georgetown Historic District 1667 Wisconsin Ave. NW National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m98981) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — 3425 Prospect Street NW
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m114043) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — 5 Congress at Oak AlleyOld Georgetown
This building dates to the late 1700's and reputedly was constructed from brick which had been used as ballast in a ship from England. Originally the first apothecary store in Washington, it became a sign shop around 1860. In the 1890's, it was . . . — Map (db m113645) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — A Drugstore Like No Other
A simple corner drug store was a gathering place for famous Georgetowners in the 1970s. "Doc" Dalinsky's drug store at 1344 Wisonsin Avenue was a popular hangout for many notable Georgetowners, especially when Doc hosted brunch on Sunday — the . . . — Map (db m113651) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — A Georgetown "Cathedral"
Almost a miniature Gothic cathedral, Christ Church behind you was built in 1885. It is the third building to occupy the spot since a group of Georgetown Episcopalians founded the parish in 1817. Among the founders were Francis Scott Key, author of . . . — Map (db m113421) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Ambassador David K. E. BruceEvangeline Bell Bruce House
1405 34th Street c. 1810 Foundation for the Preservation of Historic Georgetown Easement acquired September 1996 — Map (db m97748) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — America's Oldest Catholic University
Georgetown University, founded in 1789 by Reverend John Carroll as a school for students of “Every Religious Profession,” is the oldest Catholic university in America, administered by the Jesuits since 1805. According to the 1831 . . . — Map (db m90222) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — America's Oldest Catholic University
Georgetown University, founded in 1789 by the Reverend John Carroll as a school for students of "Every Religious Profession," is the oldest Catholic university in America, administered by the Jesuits since 1805. According to the 1831 University . . . — Map (db m121208) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — An Industrial Georgetown
If you could have walked along the towpath here in the 19th and early 20th century, your senses would have been overwhelmed by industrial pollution. The dust from coal being unloaded from canal boats fogged the air. The stench of animal fat being . . . — Map (db m113411) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — At All Hours
“It shall be their duty, at all hours, by night as well as by day, to pass all boats and floats presenting themselves at their locks.” —Charles Mercer, President, C&O Canal Company. Every time his boat passed through a lock, a . . . — Map (db m128) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Canal House
The original Canal House was built in 1878 to store the feed and horses of the Georgetown Railroad Company. In the 1890's it was converted into a power generating plant for public transit. Today the Canal House stands as another example of the . . . — Map (db m121206) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Chesapeake & Ohio Canal
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. Commenced at Georgetown. July 4th 1828. Chief Engineer Benjamin Wright. Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Company, 1850. President James M. Coale. Directors William A. Bradley, Henry Daingerfield, Wm. Cost Johnson, John . . . — Map (db m118) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Chesapeake and Ohio CanalNational Historical Marker
One of the best preserved and least altered of old American canals, the Chesapeake and Ohio grew from Washington's vision of linking the valleys of the early west with the east by “ties of communication,” The Potomac Company fostered by . . . — Map (db m97477) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Colonel Ninian Beall
Born Scotland 1625 - Died Maryland 1717 Patentee of Rock of Dunbarton Member of the House of Burgesses Commander in Chief of Provincial Forces of Maryland in grateful recognition of his services "upon all incursions and disturbances of . . . — Map (db m110022) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Creating a National Park
“It is a refuge, a place of retreat, a long stretch of quiet and peace at the Capital's back door . . .” —William O. Douglas Look around you. The park you stand in exists because people cared. In January 1954, Justice William O. . . . — Map (db m129) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Crossroads of Georgetown
You are standing at what has been the crossroads of Georgetown since Colonial times. George Town was laid out on the bluffs above the harbor on either side of Wisconsin Avenue. The avenue then was called Frederick Town Rolling Road because it was . . . — Map (db m113647) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Dumbarton HouseHeadquarters of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America — Georgetown Historic District
The site was part of a tract called “The Rock of Dumbarton” patented 1703 by Ninian Beall. The house was probably started 1799 by Samuel Jackson. It was completed 1805 by Joseph Nourse, first Registrar of the Treasury. He sold the . . . — Map (db m95765) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Dumbarton Oaks
In 1702 The Rock of Dumbarton was granted by Queen Anne to Colonel Ninian Beall — In 1717 Colonel George Beall - his son - added to his lands - In 1780 Thomas Beall - his son - sold the property to William Dorsey and in 1801 William Hammond . . . — Map (db m101367) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Dumbarton United Methodist ChurchOne of America's Oldest Methodist Societies
First organized in a cooper's shop in 1772. Bishop Asbury preached here. This church was built in 1849 and renovated tin 1898. It served as a Civil War Hospital in 1862. President Lincoln attended this church on March 8, 1863 to hear Bishop Simpson . . . — Map (db m113904) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Early African American Georgetown
Georgetown's first African Americans were brought as slaves to labor for the tobacco industry and for domestic service in the houses of wealthy tobacco merchants. Others came as freed men and women before and after the Civil War. Over time, in the . . . — Map (db m113639) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Emma V. Brown ResidenceAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 3044 P Street, NW
Emma V. Brown (1840-1902) was an accomplished poet and the first African American teacher to be employed by the DC Public Schools. Educated at Myrtilla Miner's school on N Street, NW, and at Oberlin College, native Washingtonian Brown opened a . . . — Map (db m97745) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Epiphany Catholic ChurchEst. 1925
In 1923 the Archbishop authorized the establishment of the Epiphany Mission where African Americans created a new community under the leadership of the Josephite Fathers. In 1925 the church was built and the mission became Epiphany Parish — Map (db m113637) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Evermay — Georgetown Historic District
Samuel Davidson, a Scot of original character, purchased the site and built Evermay, 1792-1794, with proceeds of the sale of lands he owned which include part of the present site of the White House and Lafayette Square. Davidson was buried in a . . . — Map (db m33792) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — First Baptist Church, GeorgetownAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 2624 Dumbarton Street, NW
The first Baptist church established in Georgetown was funded in 1862 by the Reverend Sandy Alexander (1818-1902), a former slave who led the church until 1889. Among the founding members was Collins Williams, a preacher from Fredericksburg, . . . — Map (db m33773) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — For God And Country
For God And Country [Left plaque on bottom of memorial:] In memory of all those who have given their lives for their country ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Presented by . . . — Map (db m117950) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Forrest Marbury House
Forrest Marbury House Circa 1788 Category I Landmark National Register of Historic Places • Site of a dinner hosted by General Uriah Forrest for his old friend and former commander, President George Washington, on March 29, 1791. . . . — Map (db m82654) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Francis Scott Key
1779-1843. The author of our National Anthem was a lawyer, patriot, community leader and poet. His home and law office stood approximately 100 yards west of here. Francis Scott Key lived there from 1803 to about 1833 with his wife, the former Mary . . . — Map (db m120) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Francis Scott Key Bridge
This Bridge is named in honor of Francis Scott Key Author of the Star Spangled Banner September 14, 1814 Then conquer we must for our cause it is just And this be our Motto     In God is our Trust Erected by the National Society . . . — Map (db m111006) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Francis Scott Key Park
A Place With Its Own History. Before 1620 the area of the Francis Scott Key Park was inhabited by members of the Algonquian, Nacostine, Nacotchatank, Piscatoway and Patawomeke tribes. In 1634 it became part of the English Colony of . . . — Map (db m119) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Freed Slave and Future President
At the turn of the 19th century, Yarrow Mamout, a slave granted his freedom a few years earlier, amassed $200 and purchased a piece of property and a house at what is now 3330-3332 Dent Place. Born in West Africa, Yarrow worked for 50 years for . . . — Map (db m112139) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — From Seaport to National Park — Georgetown Waterfront Park
During America's early days, the Georgetown waterfront thrived as a port lined with wharves and seagoing vessels. It later became an industrial site. Now it is a National Park. How does an old port and industrial site become a National Park? In . . . — Map (db m83864) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — GarageTudor Place
In the 1800s, a barn stood to the right of the building you see today. The garage, the left hand portion of the building ahead, was built in 1913-1914 to house the family’s automobile and to provide an apartment for the chauffeur. The last owner’s . . . — Map (db m95957) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Georgetown and the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal
Left panel: Georgetown became a port city soon after its 1751 founding. Located on the Potomac River, it was the logical choice for the canal’s terminus. Canal activity further spurred Georgetown’s economic growth. By the late 1800s, it was . . . — Map (db m97762) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Georgetown Historic District
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. — Map (db m130) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Georgetown RefugeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail-War of 1812 — Dumbarton House
In 1814 this was the home of the Charles Carroll family, fiends of President James Madison and his wife, Dolley. Carroll came to the President’s House on August 24, as Madison was returning from the defeat at Battle of Bladensburg. Soon word arrived . . . — Map (db m95914) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Georgetown's First Market
The citizens of Georgetown were already raising money for good causes two centuries ago. In 1796 the Mayor of Georgetown, Daniel Reintzel, was authorized to demolish a frame market house that stood on this site and erect a new brick market building. . . . — Map (db m113410) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Georgetown's Watering Holes
Among the first businesses in historic Georgetown were its inns and taverns. They not only offered food, drink and lodging, but were focal points of community life where political debate and civic meetings took place and business deals were made. . . . — Map (db m121195) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Halcyon House
Built in 1786 by Benjamin Stoddert, First Secretary of the Navy, who played a prominent role in having the capital situated here. Halcyon House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a landmark which contributes to the . . . — Map (db m113404) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Healing in War and Peace
Georgetown University Hospital, set atop a row of hills along Reservoir Road, promotes good health through patient care, research and education. Founded in 1898 and shaped by Georgetown's Catholic Jesuit heritage, the hospital consistently has . . . — Map (db m113906) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Healy HallNational Historic Landmark — Georgetown University
[Panel 1:] Healy Hall bears the name of the Reverend Patrick F. Healy, S.J. 1834-1910 the University's twenty-ninth president 1873-1882 The first Black American to hold a doctorate and the first to serve as president of a major university in . . . — Map (db m127948) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Herman Hollerith
In this building, Herman Hollerith perfected his pioneering punched card tabulating machines -- the forerunners of today's computer systems. Hollerith moved his business here in 1892 while his early machines were at work on the U.S. census of 1890, . . . — Map (db m97678) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Herring Highway
Each spring a miraculous journey begins in the Atlantic Ocean. Blueback herring, Alewife, and other migratory fish swim to Rock Creek by way of the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River. Members of the herring family come to Rock Creek to spawn. Since . . . — Map (db m40381) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Herring Hill
You are standing in the heart of a once thriving African American community. At the time of the American Revolution in 1776, one third of Georgetown's population was African American. By the time of the Civil War in the 1860s, many former slaves had . . . — Map (db m110018) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Hilleary's Smiling Corner
Welcome to "Hilleary's Smiling Corner," named for Albert and Flora Hilleary, who ran the corner grocery store here from about 1919 to 1961. Like many other corner stores in Georgetown, this was a gathering place for the neighborhood. Children . . . — Map (db m98978) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Historic Preservation in Georgetown
Georgetown citizens have been central to preserving Georgetown's important historic houses. Three of these houses, built at the turn of the 19th century on large plots of land overlooking the port, are now accessible to the public and are testaments . . . — Map (db m113643) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — History Preserved and Adapted
Georgetown began in the 1740s as a tobacco port, where ships departed for Britain, Europe and the West Indies filled with flour, lumber, coal, grain and, above all, tobacco. The fine harbor brought visitors and goods and, with them, prosperity and . . . — Map (db m113415) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Hollywood on the Potomac
Think of Georgetown as the real life equivalent of the MGM back lot. Hollywood has used Georgetown as a backdrop for drama, comedy, intrique, romance, crime, disaster — and horror. You are standing near the 75 steps that figured prominently in . . . — Map (db m90168) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Holy Hill
"Holy Hill," the site of Georgetown University, the Convent of the Visitation, and Holy Trinity Church, has been the center of Catholic spiritual life in the nation's capital since its beginnings in the late-18th century. Shortly after the . . . — Map (db m112129) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Holy Trinity Church[Chapel of St. Ignatius Loyola]
Erected 1792 First place for public Catholic worship in what is now the District of Columbia — Map (db m22075) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Holy Trinity Parish1790
Founded by the Jesuit community of George-town College. This church was first dedicated 15 June 1851 Restored and re-dedicated 23 September 1979 The original church to the rear was dedicated 1792 and remains the oldest standing . . . — Map (db m22077) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Houses With A Prospect
The early mansions of wealthy ship owners, merchants and land speculators in this part of Georgetown were built high above the Potomac River with fine views, or prospects, of the harbor filled with ships and the wilds of Virginia on the other side. . . . — Map (db m113401) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — How High is the River?
The structure to the right contains a streamgage that records water levels (stage) in the Potomac River. Water levels at this site are measured by sensing the air pressure required to force air bubbles into the river. The water in the river at this . . . — Map (db m113413) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — In Memory of Grosvenor Chapman1911-1993
His half-century of articulate, constructive and untiring activism on behalf of urban planning and historic preservation helped shape the face of Georgetown and the City of Washington. President and Fellow, Washington Chapter of the AIA . . . — Map (db m112136) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Jan Karski (n. Jan Kozielewski) (1914-2000)
Messenger of the Polish People to Their Government in Exile Messenger of the Jewish People to the World The Man Who Told of the Annihilation of the Jewish People While There Was Still Time To Stop It. Named by the State of Israel, . . . — Map (db m25069) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Jesuit Community Cemetery
Since the year 1808 this site has served as the final resting place for members of the Jesuit community at Georgetown University For God has destined us not for wrath but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, . . . — Map (db m93102) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — John Carroll(1735-1815)
First Archbishop of Baltimore Founder of Georgetown University By Sculptor Jerome Connor commissioned by alumni, faculty and Jesuits. To insure that this University treasure, placed here on May 4, 1912, will forever survive to greet all . . . — Map (db m21962) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — John Fitzgerald KennedyChurch of the Holy Trinity
[Rendering of the Seal of the President of the United States] In Memoriam Within the hallowed walls of the historic Church of the Holy Trinity in Georgetown, D.C. worshiped the late President of the United States, John Fitzgerald . . . — Map (db m22076) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — John Laird
Erected about 1799 by John Laird later occupied by Judge James Dunlop and Robert Todd Lincoln — Map (db m113642) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — John Lutz
From 1804 to 1841 home of John Lutz Sergeant of General George Washington's guard at Valley Forge — Map (db m113649) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — La Casa LatinaGeorgetown University — Center for Multicultural Equity & Access
In 2016 La Casa Latina was established with support of the Latinx Leadership Forum. La Casa Latina is a space for community building, identity exploration and advocacy. — Map (db m118012) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Leo J. O'Donovan, S.J., HallGeorgetown University — Southwest Quadrangle 2003
Compassionate Jesuit, gifted scholar generous friend, loyal alumnus (c' 56) distinguished 47th President of Georgetown University given by friends in loving honor — Map (db m114041) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Let the Good Times Roll
Georgetown has been a performance hub for musicians in a wide range of popular genres — jazz, folk, blues, bluegrass, country, and rock. During the 1960s and 1970s the Cellar Door, at the corner of 34th and M Streets, featured artists . . . — Map (db m112123) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Lillie Mackall
. . . — Map (db m68745) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — M Street - A Road Well Traveled
M Street has always been heavily traveled. In 1795 this prompted passage of the first local speeding law, making it illegal to gallop horses on M Street. Back in 1634, things were quieter. Then, Englishman Henry Fleet wrote of finding "deer, . . . — Map (db m97704) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — DC-188 — MaHorney - Harrington HouseBuilt c. 1821 — Formerly 64 Lingnen Street - Originally Gay Street
In 1821, George MaHorney, a bricklayer, built this two room, two story frame "laborer's cottage." William W. Corcoran, a founder of the Corcoran and Riggs Bank and the Corcoran Gallery of Art, owned the property from 1853, through the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m112144) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Margaret Peters and Roumania Peters WalkerRose Park Tennis Courts
The families of the Peters Sisters, Friends of Rose Park, DC Department of Parks & Recreation, and the City of Washington, DC are proud to name the Rose Park Tennis Courts after the Peters Sisters who grew up in this neighborhood on O Street, NW. . . . — Map (db m97732) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Mount Zion United Methodist Church and Heritage Center, and the Female Union Band CemeteryAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 1334 29th Street, NW
Mount Zion United Methodist Church is Washington’s oldest Black congregation. It was established in 1816 by Shadrack Nugent and 125 other congregants who split from nearby Montgomery Street Methodist Church (now Dumbarton United Methodist) over its . . . — Map (db m32930) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Mt. Zion United Methodist Church Parsonage
Erected 1897 Birthplace of Leontine Turpeau C. Kelly March 5, 1920 First African-American Woman Bishop of the United Methodist Church, 1984 — Map (db m97731) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Mule PowerChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
Mules were the "engines" for the canal boats. Normally, a boat captain had four mules. Two worked while two rested in their stall in the front of the boat. Captains usually cared for their mules as if they were part of the family. In the canal's . . . — Map (db m113416) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Nathan Loughborough's Houses
Built c. 1801-1806 Restored 1963 by The Junior League of Washington — Map (db m97648) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Old Stone House1766
The Old Stone House, part of the Landmark District of Georgetown, is the only surviving pre-Revolutionary building in the capital. The house stands on its original site, lot #3, one of eighty lots surveyed in the port of Georgetown in . . . — Map (db m61944) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Parrott Ropewalk
Here the Richard Parrott Ropewalk manufactured rope and rigging used on sailing vessels that plied their trade in old Georgetown through the early 19th Century. The ropewalk receives its name from the long path used for the laying out of . . . — Map (db m68712) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Political Salons of Georgetown
Throughout its history, Georgetown has been at the center of Washington’s political and social life. As early as 1789, Washington and Jefferson met in a local tavern to plan the new capital. The Marquis de Lafayette, who fought with us in the . . . — Map (db m97757) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Potomac Boat Club
Potomac Boat Club Founded in 1869 This Boathouse built in 1908 A.B. Mullet & Co., Architect Charles J. Cassidy, Builder Listed in the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites 1973 National . . . — Map (db m129836) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Potomac No. 5
Potomac No. 5 F.A.A.M. Chartered April 21, 1789 Potomac Lodge has occupied this site since 1859 — Map (db m110023) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Poulton HallBuilt 1947
The building commemorates Father Ferdinand Poulton, S.J. a founding member of the American Jesuit Community, who arrived in Maryland in 1638. The building was acquired under the College Building Program of the Federal Works Agency. North . . . — Map (db m110020) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — President John F. Kennedy
In the cold winter of 1960-61 this house had an important role in history. From it was flashed to the world news of pre-Inaugural announcements by President John F. Kennedy Presented by The grateful newsmen who were given . . . — Map (db m112127) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Prospect House
erected 1788 by John Templeman later home of James Forrestal First Secretary of Defense 1947-1949 — Map (db m93064) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Rose Park Recreation CenterAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 26th and O Streets, NW
Rose Park Playground was established in 1918 by the Ancient Order of the Sons and Daughters of Moses to serve African American children. The city acquired it in 1922. Georgetown neighbors ignored the segregation rules at this "colored" facility, . . . — Map (db m120439) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Ross and Getty House
Ross and Getty House No. 1, c. 1810 Foundation for Preservation of Historic Georgetown Easement acquired October, 1975 Accepted, March, 1976, by National Trust for Historic Preservation Additional marker: 1210 30th Street, N.W. Andrew Ross . . . — Map (db m97705) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — S/Sgt. Richard F. Hoffman, A.A.F.
. . . — Map (db m121209) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Simplicity, Gentleness, Humility
Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School, straight ahead in the next block, is one of the oldest Catholic institutions in America. It was founded in 1799 by three pious ladies under the spiritual guidance of the president of Georgetown College, . . . — Map (db m112132) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — South LawnTudor Place
In 1816, your view from this sweeping lawn included the bustling tobacco port of Georgetown, the Potomac River, and, to the east, the growing city of Washington DC. Then a hay field, sheep and cows grazed on the law. By the beginning of the 1900s . . . — Map (db m95956) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — St. John's Episcopal Church, Georgetown Parish
This first Episcopal congregation in Georgetown was founded in 1796 by the Reverend Walter Dulany Addison. Other founders and benefactors include Thomas Hyde, Thomas Corcoran, Benjamin Stoddert, and Francis Scott Key. President Thomas Jefferson . . . — Map (db m113951) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — St. John's: 200 Years of History
Step across the cobblestone street and trolley tracks of a bygone era and look up at the façade of St. John's Church, Georgetown Parish, designed in the Federal style by William Thornton, architect of the Capitol. This Episcopal parish, established . . . — Map (db m112133) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — St. Mary'sBuilt 1956
This building is named in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and was dedicated to Our Lady of Victory. Originally built as a combined Nursing School and Nurses Dormitory. The building is home to the School of Nursing and Health Studies although it no . . . — Map (db m110854) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Stately Houses and Gardens
Hidden behind the grand houses of N Street — and many others large and small — are tranquil walled gardens with brick terraces, old shade trees, lily ponds, swimming pools, and a tennis court or two. Behind you stands the Edes Home, . . . — Map (db m113641) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Suter Home
Built c. 1801 - 1806 by John or Alexander Suter, sons of John Suter, owner of Suter's Tavern — Map (db m121205) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Tayloe/Snyder House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Tayloe/Snyder House 1857 — Map (db m113644) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Temple of Learning and Talent
The imposing classic revival building on the hill is the Duke Ellington School of the Arts, formerly Western High School. It was completed in 1898 as a "temple of learning" and was among the first public senior high schools in Washington. . . . — Map (db m112146) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Black HouseGeorgetown University — Center for Multicultural Equity & Access
Founded 1970 by the Black Student Alliance as a gathering place for community and support. Rededicated 2013 as a continuing force for justice and equality at Georgetown for generations to come. — Map (db m118011) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The City Tavern
First built in 1796 Restored by the City Tavern Association Founded 1959 Founders Mr. Robert Calhoun Baker · Capt. and Mrs. Peter Belin (UNS, Ret.) · Mrs. Denton Blair · Hon. and Mrs. Robert Woods Bliss · Hon. and Mrs. David K. E. Bruce · Mr. and . . . — Map (db m97686) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The ColonialErected 1820 · Restored 1953
Long a Georgetown landmark, this building was occupied from 1826 by Miss Lydia English's Georgetown Female Seminary, whose patrons and frequent visitors included Martin Van Buren, James Buchanan, Daniel Webster, Henry Clay, Andrew Johnson, General . . . — Map (db m97727) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Cornerstone of the Original Christ Church
This, the cornerstone of the original Christ Church, was placed here on May 5, 1968 during services commemorating the one hundred fiftieth anniversary of the parish. — Map (db m113423) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Exorcist StepsWe Are DC — DC Film
These iconic steps were featured in William Friedkin's 1973 Warner Bros. classic motion picture, based on the novel and screenplay by William Peter Blatty, The Exorcist. In the film's climactic ending, Father Karras (actor Jason . . . — Map (db m90158) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Georgetown Heights
Occupying the most prominent site on the Georgetown Heights overlooking Georgetown, the Potomac River and Virginia is the Georgetown Branch Library. The library houses the Peabody Room, an archive devoted to the history of Georgetown. The archive . . . — Map (db m101365) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Georgetown House
The Georgetown House is closely linked with the history of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. The building was constructed about 1830 by the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Co. for use as a storage room. Later it became a tavern but shortly thereafter turned into . . . — Map (db m111008) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The History of Canal Square
Canal Square has seen more than century and a half of change in Georgetown. It is a typical brick and fieldstone industrial structure built to facilitate barge traffic on the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Canal. Necessary for westward expansion, canals . . . — Map (db m113418) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Last Home of Stephen Bloomer Balch, D.D.
This tablet marks the last home of Stephen Bloomer Balch, D.D. An officer in the Revolution 1747-1833 To the youth under his academic guidance he gave military training and led them in active service. For fifty years he was a leader in the . . . — Map (db m97760) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Original Georgetown ReservoirNational Society Colonial Dames XVII Century
Site of the original Georgetown Reservoir 1859-1932 Stone wall and iron fence 1871 — Map (db m98980) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The PilgrimBy Vicki Winters Reid
St. Ignatius of Loyola 1491-1556 Founder of the Society of Jesus 1540 — Map (db m110019) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Presbyterian Congregation in George Town,
founded in 1780 and chartered by Congress in 1806, has the longest unbroken ministry in Washington. This building was erected in 1821 at what is now 30th and M, was moved to this site in 1873 and altered to a Victorian style. In 1956, the building . . . — Map (db m97747) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The Star-Spangled Banner
The Flag. The immortal words "star-spangled Banner" refer to the magnificent flag which Francis Scott Key saw "by the dawn's early light" after the British bombardment of Fort McHenry on September 14, 1814. It is the largest flag ever flown in . . . — Map (db m82470) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Thomas Sim Lee Corner
3001-3003 M Street was built as a single dwelling in 1794 by Thomas Sim Lee twice Governor of Maryland, 1779-1782 and 1792-1794. Lee also owned the adjoining land which he sold to Andrew Ross and Robert Getty who, in 1810, built 3005-3011 M Street . . . — Map (db m97647) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Through the Eyes of a Scientist
Rachel Carson (1907-1964), a renowned writer and scientist who helped launch the modern environmental movement, once walked these woods. In her groundbreaking book, Silent Spring (1962), Carson warned citizens that the widespread use of . . . — Map (db m114367) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Volta Bureau
Volta Bureau has been designated a Registered National Historical Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the . . . — Map (db m112142) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Volta Place: A Place in History
The first house of worship in Georgetown — a town dominated by Presbyterian Scots — was a log church built in 1769 by a Lutheran congregation where the present Lutheran church now stands (opposite). The Presbyterian Burial Ground, once . . . — Map (db m120508) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Volunteerism and Valor
Before there was a DC Fire Department, companies from two then-separate towns — Georgetown and Washington — provided local fire protection. In 1789, Georgetown citizens purchased a hand-pumped engine and fire buckets with funds raised . . . — Map (db m113420) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Washington Before Washington
In 1608 Captain John Smith sailed up the Potomac, the first European to lay eyes on this site. At that time, ships could sail up to this point, and beautiful bluffs led down to the water. Algonquin Indians lived here in great numbers, drawn by stone . . . — Map (db m110015) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Watching the FlamesStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail-War of 1812 — Tudor Place
On August 24, 1814, as word spread that the British were coming, Dr. William Thornton and his wife Anna Marie fled their downtown F Street home and took refuge here at Tudor Place, home of their friend Martha Parke Custis Peter. That night, Mrs. . . . — Map (db m95949) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — World War I Memorial
In memory of our boys who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great World War Jesu Mercy — Map (db m113646) WM

111 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.