On 31st Street Northwest north of M Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north.
This building dates to the late 1700's and reputedly was constructed from brick which had been used as ballast in a ship from England. Originally the first apothecary store in Washington, it became a sign shop around 1860. In the 1890's, it was . . . — — Map (db m113645) HM
On Wisconsin Avenue Northwest at Dumbarton Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north on Wisconsin Avenue Northwest.
A simple corner drug store was a gathering place for famous Georgetowners in the 1970s. "Doc" Dalinsky's drug store at 1344 Wisonsin Avenue was a popular hangout for many notable Georgetowners, especially when Doc hosted brunch on Sunday — the . . . — — Map (db m113651) HM
On O Street Northwest at 31st Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on O Street Northwest.
Almost a miniature Gothic cathedral, Christ Church behind you was built in 1885. It is the third building to occupy the spot since a group of Georgetown Episcopalians founded the parish in 1817. Among the founders were Francis Scott Key, author of . . . — — Map (db m113421) HM
On 37th Street at O Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 37th Street.
Georgetown University, founded in 1789 by Reverend John Carroll as a school for students of “Every Religious Profession,” is the oldest Catholic university in America, administered by the Jesuits since 1805. According to the 1831 . . . — — Map (db m90222) HM
On 37th Street Northwest at O Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 37th Street Northwest.
Georgetown University, founded in 1789 by the Reverend John Carroll as a school for students of "Every Religious Profession," is the oldest Catholic university in America, administered by the Jesuits since 1805. According to the 1831 University . . . — — Map (db m121208) HM
If you could have walked along the towpath here in the 19th and early 20th century, your senses would have been overwhelmed by industrial pollution. The dust from coal being unloaded from canal boats fogged the air. The stench of animal fat being . . . — — Map (db m113411) HM
On The C&O Canal Towpath near Thomas Jefferson Street, NW, on the left when traveling west.
“It shall be their duty, at all hours, by night as well as by day, to pass all boats and floats presenting themselves at their locks.” —Charles Mercer, President, C&O Canal Company.
Every time his boat passed through a lock, a . . . — — Map (db m128) HM
On Grace Street Northwest at Paper Mill Court Northwest, on the right when traveling west on Grace Street Northwest.
The original Canal House was built in 1878 to store the feed and horses of the Georgetown Railroad Company. In the 1890's it was converted into a power generating plant for public transit. Today the Canal House stands as another example of the . . . — — Map (db m121206) HM
On Wisconsin Avenue at the C&O Canal Towpath, N.W., on the right when traveling south on Wisconsin Avenue.
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. Commenced at Georgetown. July 4th 1828. Chief Engineer Benjamin Wright.
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Company, 1850. President James M. Coale. Directors William A. Bradley, Henry Daingerfield, Wm. Cost Johnson, John . . . — — Map (db m118) HM
One of the best preserved and least altered of old American canals, the Chesapeake and Ohio grew from Washington's vision of linking the valleys of the early west with the east by “ties of communication.” The Potomac Company fostered . . . — — Map (db m97477) HM
On Potomac Street Northwest south of O Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
Born Scotland 1625 - Died Maryland 1717
Patentee of Rock of Dunbarton
Member of the House of Burgesses
Commander in Chief of Provincial Forces of Maryland
in grateful recognition of his services "upon all incursions and disturbances of . . . — — Map (db m110022) HM
On C&O Canal Towpath 0 miles west of Thomas Jefferson Street, NW.
“It is a refuge, a place of retreat, a long stretch of quiet and peace at the Capital's back door . . .” —William O. Douglas
Look around you. The park you stand in exists because people cared. In January 1954, Justice William O. . . . — — Map (db m129) HM
On Wisconsin Avenue Northwest at M Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north on Wisconsin Avenue Northwest.
You are standing at what has been the crossroads of Georgetown since Colonial times. George Town was laid out on the bluffs above the harbor on either side of Wisconsin Avenue. The avenue then was called Frederick Town Rolling Road because it was . . . — — Map (db m113647) HM
On Q Street, NW east of 28th Street, NW, on the right when traveling west.
The site was part of a tract called “The Rock of Dumbarton” patented 1703 by Ninian Beall.
The house was probably started 1799 by Samuel Jackson. It was completed 1805 by Joseph Nourse, first Registrar of the Treasury. He sold the . . . — — Map (db m95765) HM
In 1702 The Rock of Dumbarton was granted by Queen Anne to Colonel Ninian Beall — In 1717 Colonel George Beall - his son - added to his lands - In 1780 Thomas Beall - his son - sold the property to William Dorsey and in 1801 William Hammond . . . — — Map (db m101367) HM
On Dumbarton Street Northwest east of Wisconsin Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
First organized in a cooper's shop in 1772. Bishop Asbury preached here. This church was built in 1849 and renovated tin 1898. It served as a Civil War Hospital in 1862. President Lincoln attended this church on March 8, 1863 to hear Bishop Simpson . . . — — Map (db m113904) HM
On N Street Northwest at 29th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on N Street Northwest.
Georgetown's first African Americans were brought as slaves to labor for the tobacco industry and for domestic service in the houses of wealthy tobacco merchants. Others came as freed men and women before and after the Civil War. Over time, in the . . . — — Map (db m113639) HM
On P Street Northwest east of 31st Street Northwest.
Emma V. Brown (1840-1902) was an accomplished poet and the first African American teacher to be employed by the DC Public Schools. Educated at Myrtilla Miner's school on N Street, NW, and at Oberlin College, native Washingtonian Brown opened a . . . — — Map (db m97745) HM
On Dumbarton Street Northwest east of 28th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east.
In 1923 the Archbishop authorized the establishment of the Epiphany Mission where African Americans created a new community under the leadership of the Josephite Fathers. In 1925 the church was built and the mission became Epiphany Parish — — Map (db m113637) HM
On 28th Street, NW 0.1 miles south of R Street, NW, on the right when traveling north.
Samuel Davidson, a Scot of original character, purchased the site and built Evermay, 1792-1794, with proceeds of the sale of lands he owned which include part of the present site of the White House and Lafayette Square. Davidson was buried in a . . . — — Map (db m33792) HM
On Dumbarton Street Northwest at 27th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on Dumbarton Street Northwest.
The first Baptist church established in Georgetown was funded in 1862 by the Reverend Sandy Alexander (1818-1902), a former slave who led the church until 1889. Among the founding members was Collins Williams, a preacher from Fredericksburg, . . . — — Map (db m33773) HM
On M Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east.
Forrest Marbury House
Category I Landmark
National Register of Historic Places
• Site of a dinner hosted by General Uriah Forrest for his old friend and former commander, President George Washington, on March 29, 1791. . . . — — Map (db m82654) HM
Near M Street, NW at 34th Street, NW, on the left when traveling west.
1779-1843. The author of our National Anthem was a lawyer, patriot, community leader and poet. His home and law office stood approximately 100 yards west of here. Francis Scott Key lived there from 1803 to about 1833 with his wife, the former Mary . . . — — Map (db m120) HM
On Key Bridge (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling south.
This Bridge is named in honor of
Francis Scott Key
Author of the Star Spangled Banner
September 14, 1814
Then conquer we must for our cause it is just
And this be our Motto In God is our Trust
Erected by the National Society . . . — — Map (db m111006) HM
Near M Street, N.W. at 34th Street, NW, on the left when traveling west.
A Place With Its Own History.
Before 1620 the area of the Francis Scott Key Park was inhabited by members of the Algonquian, Nacostine, Nacotchatank, Piscatoway and Patawomeke tribes. In 1634 it became part of the English Colony of . . . — — Map (db m119) HM
On Dent Place Northwest at 34th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on Dent Place Northwest.
At the turn of the 19th century, Yarrow Mamout, a slave granted his freedom a few years earlier, amassed $200 and purchased a piece of property and a house at what is now 3330-3332 Dent Place. Born in West Africa, Yarrow worked for 50 years for . . . — — Map (db m112139) HM
On Georgetown Waterfront Park - Riverwalk 0.2 miles south of K Street / Whitehurst Freeway (U.S. 29) when traveling south.
During America's early days, the Georgetown waterfront thrived as a port lined with wharves and seagoing vessels. It later became an industrial site. Now it is a National Park. How does an old port and industrial site become a National Park? In . . . — — Map (db m83864) HM
In the 1800s, a barn stood to the right of the building you see today. The garage, the left hand portion of the building ahead, was built in 1913-1914 to house the family’s automobile and to provide an apartment for the chauffeur. The last owner’s . . . — — Map (db m95957) HM
Near C&O Canal Towpath 0 miles east of Thomas Jefferson Street, NW.
Left panel: Georgetown became a port city soon after its 1751 founding. Located on the Potomac River, it was the logical choice for the canal’s terminus. Canal activity further spurred Georgetown’s economic growth. By the late 1800s, it was . . . — — Map (db m97762) HM
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. — — Map (db m130) HM
In 1814 this was the home of the Charles Carroll family, fiends of President James Madison and his wife, Dolley. Carroll came to the President’s House on August 24, as Madison was returning from the defeat at Battle of Bladensburg. Soon word arrived . . . — — Map (db m95914) HM WM
On M Street Northwest at Potomac Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on M Street Northwest.
The citizens of Georgetown were already raising money for good causes two centuries ago. In 1796 the Mayor of Georgetown, Daniel Reintzel, was authorized to demolish a frame market house that stood on this site and erect a new brick market building. . . . — — Map (db m113410) HM
On Wisconsin Avenue Northwest at N Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Wisconsin Avenue Northwest.
Among the first businesses in historic Georgetown were its inns and taverns. They not only offered food, drink and lodging, but were focal points of community life where political debate and civic meetings took place and business deals were made. . . . — — Map (db m121195) HM
On Prospect Street Northwest west of 34th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east.
Built in 1786 by Benjamin Stoddert, First Secretary of the Navy, who played a prominent role in having the capital situated here.
Halcyon House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a landmark which contributes to the . . . — — Map (db m113404) HM
On Reservoir Road Northwest at 39th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on Reservoir Road Northwest.
Georgetown University Hospital, set atop a row of hills along Reservoir Road, promotes good health through patient care, research and education. Founded in 1898 and shaped by Georgetown's Catholic Jesuit heritage, the hospital consistently has . . . — — Map (db m113906) HM
Healy Hall bears the name of
the Reverend Patrick F. Healy, S.J. 1834-1910 the University's twenty-ninth president 1873-1882
The first Black American to hold a doctorate and the first to serve as president of a major university in . . . — — Map (db m127948) HM
On 31st Street, NW near C&O Canal Towpath, on the right when traveling south.
In this building, Herman Hollerith perfected his pioneering punched card tabulating machines -- the forerunners of today's computer systems. Hollerith moved his business here in 1892 while his early machines were at work on the U.S. census of 1890, . . . — — Map (db m97678) HM
On 31st Street, NW west of the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway.
Each spring a miraculous journey begins in the Atlantic Ocean. Blueback herring, Alewife, and other migratory fish swim to Rock Creek by way of the Chesapeake Bay and Potomac River. Members of the herring family come to Rock Creek to spawn. Since . . . — — Map (db m40381) HM
On P Street Northwest at 27th Street Northwest on P Street Northwest.
You are standing in the heart of a once thriving African American community. At the time of the American Revolution in 1776, one third of Georgetown's population was African American. By the time of the Civil War in the 1860s, many former slaves had . . . — — Map (db m110018) HM
On Reservoir Road, NW at 34th Street, NW, on the right when traveling east on Reservoir Road, NW.
Welcome to "Hilleary's Smiling Corner," named for Albert and Flora Hilleary, who ran the corner grocery store here from about 1919 to 1961. Like many other corner stores in Georgetown, this was a gathering place for the neighborhood. Children . . . — — Map (db m98978) HM
On 31st Street Northwest at N Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north on 31st Street Northwest.
Georgetown citizens have been central to preserving Georgetown's important historic houses. Three of these houses, built at the turn of the 19th century on large plots of land overlooking the port, are now accessible to the public and are testaments . . . — — Map (db m113643) HM
On K Street Northwest at 30th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on K Street Northwest.
Georgetown began in the 1740s as a tobacco port, where ships departed for Britain, Europe and the West Indies filled with flour, lumber, coal, grain and, above all, tobacco. The fine harbor brought visitors and goods and, with them, prosperity and . . . — — Map (db m113415) HM
On Prospect Street near 36th Street when traveling west.
Think of Georgetown as the real life equivalent of the MGM back lot. Hollywood has used Georgetown as a backdrop for drama, comedy, intrique, romance, crime, disaster — and horror. You are standing near the 75 steps that figured prominently in . . . — — Map (db m90168) HM
On N Street Northwest at 36th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on N Street Northwest.
"Holy Hill," the site of Georgetown University, the Convent of the Visitation, and Holy Trinity Church, has been the center of Catholic spiritual life in the nation's capital since its beginnings in the late-18th century.
Shortly after the . . . — — Map (db m112129) HM
On 36th Street north of N Street, NW, on the left when traveling south.
Founded by the Jesuit community of George-town College.
This church was first dedicated 15 June 1851
Restored and re-dedicated 23 September 1979
The original church to the rear was dedicated 1792 and remains the
oldest standing . . . — — Map (db m22077) HM
On Prospect Street Northwest at 34th Street Northwest, on the left when traveling west on Prospect Street Northwest. Reported damaged.
The early mansions of wealthy ship owners, merchants and land speculators in this part of Georgetown were built high above the Potomac River with fine views, or prospects, of the harbor filled with ships and the wilds of Virginia on the other side. . . . — — Map (db m113401) HM
On Water Street Northwest west of 33rd Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east. Reported unreadable.
The structure to the right contains a streamgage that records water levels (stage) in the Potomac River. Water levels at this site are measured by sensing the air pressure required to force air bubbles into the river. The water in the river at this . . . — — Map (db m113413) HM
Near Q Street Northwest east of 34th Street Northwest.
His half-century of articulate, constructive and untiring activism on behalf of urban planning and historic preservation helped shape the face of Georgetown and the City of Washington.
President and Fellow, Washington Chapter of the AIA
. . . — — Map (db m112136) HM
Messenger of the Polish People to Their Government in Exile
Messenger of the Jewish People to the World
The Man Who Told of the Annihilation of the Jewish People
While There Was Still Time To Stop It.
Named by the State of Israel,
. . . — — Map (db m25069) HM
On Tondorf Road, on the left when traveling south.
Since the year 1808 this site has served as the final resting place for members of the Jesuit community at Georgetown University For God has destined us not for wrath but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, . . . — — Map (db m93102) HM
First Archbishop of Baltimore Founder of Georgetown University
By Sculptor Jerome Connor commissioned by alumni, faculty and Jesuits.
To insure that this University treasure, placed here on May 4, 1912, will forever survive to greet all . . . — — Map (db m21962) HM
On 36th Street, NW north of N Street, NW, on the left when traveling south.
[Rendering of the Seal of the President of the United States]
Within the hallowed walls of the historic Church of the Holy Trinity in
Georgetown, D.C. worshiped the late President of the United States, John
Fitzgerald . . . — — Map (db m22076) HM
On Prospect Street Northwest at 33rd Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on Prospect Street Northwest.
Georgetown has been a performance hub for musicians in a wide range of popular genres — jazz, folk, blues, bluegrass, country, and rock.
During the 1960s and 1970s the Cellar Door, at the corner of 34th and M Streets, featured artists . . . — — Map (db m112123) HM
On M Street, NW at 30th Street, NW, on the right when traveling east on M Street, NW.
M Street has always been heavily traveled. In 1795 this prompted passage of the first local speeding law, making it illegal to gallop horses on M Street. Back in 1634, things were quieter. Then, Englishman Henry Fleet wrote of finding "deer, . . . — — Map (db m97704) HM
On 36th Street Northwest south of P Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
In 1821, George MaHorney, a bricklayer, built this two room, two story frame "laborer's cottage." William W. Corcoran, a founder of the Corcoran and Riggs Bank and the Corcoran Gallery of Art, owned the property from 1853, through the Civil War, . . . — — Map (db m112144) HM
The families of the Peters Sisters, Friends of Rose Park, DC Department of Parks & Recreation, and the City of Washington, DC are proud to name the Rose Park Tennis Courts after the Peters Sisters who grew up in this neighborhood on O Street, NW. . . . — — Map (db m97732) HM
On 29th Street Northwest north of Dumbarton Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
Mount Zion United Methodist Church is Washington’s oldest Black congregation. It was established in 1816 by Shadrack Nugent and 125 other congregants who split from nearby Montgomery Street Methodist Church (now Dumbarton United Methodist) over its . . . — — Map (db m32930) HM
On Thomas Jefferson Street Northwest south of M Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north.
Mules were the "engines" for the canal boats. Normally, a boat captain had four mules. Two worked while two rested in their stall in the front of the boat. Captains usually cared for their mules as if they were part of the family. In the canal's . . . — — Map (db m113416) HM
The Old Stone House, part of the Landmark District of Georgetown, is the only surviving pre-Revolutionary building in the capital. The house stands on its original site, lot #3, one of eighty lots surveyed in the port of Georgetown in . . . — — Map (db m61944) HM
Here the Richard Parrott Ropewalk manufactured rope and rigging used on sailing vessels that plied their trade in old Georgetown through the early 19th Century.
The ropewalk receives its name from the long path used for the laying out of . . . — — Map (db m68712) HM
On 34th Street, NW at O Street, NW, on the right when traveling south on 34th Street, NW.
Throughout its history, Georgetown has been at the center of Washington’s political and social life. As early as 1789, Washington and Jefferson met in a local tavern to plan the new capital. The Marquis de Lafayette, who fought with us in the . . . — — Map (db m97757) HM
On Water Street Northwest west of 33rd Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east.
Potomac Boat Club
Founded in 1869
This Boathouse built in 1908
A.B. Mullet & Co., Architect
Charles J. Cassidy, Builder
Listed in the
District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites
National . . . — — Map (db m129836) HM
On 37th Street Northwest at O Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 37th Street Northwest.
The building commemorates Father Ferdinand Poulton, S.J. a founding member of the American Jesuit Community, who arrived in Maryland in 1638. The building was acquired under the College Building Program of the Federal Works Agency.
North . . . — — Map (db m110020) HM
On N Street Northwest at 33rd Street Northwest, on the left when traveling west on N Street Northwest.
In the cold winter of 1960-61
this house had an important role
in history. From it was flashed to
the world news of pre-Inaugural
President John F. Kennedy
The grateful newsmen who were
given . . . — — Map (db m112127) HM
Near 27th Street Northwest south of O Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
Rose Park Playground was established in 1918 by the Ancient Order of the Sons and Daughters of Moses to serve African American children. The city acquired it in 1922. Georgetown neighbors ignored the segregation rules at this "colored" facility, . . . — — Map (db m120439) HM
On 30th Street, NW 0 miles north of M Street, NW, on the right when traveling south.
Ross and Getty House No. 1, c. 1810 Foundation for Preservation of Historic Georgetown Easement acquired October, 1975 Accepted, March, 1976, by National Trust for Historic Preservation Additional marker: 1210 30th Street, N.W. Andrew Ross . . . — — Map (db m97705) HM
On O Street Northwest at 35th Street Northwest on O Street Northwest.
Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School, straight ahead in the next block, is one of the oldest Catholic institutions in America. It was founded in 1799 by three pious ladies under the spiritual guidance of the president of Georgetown College, . . . — — Map (db m112132) HM WM
In 1816, your view from this sweeping lawn included the bustling tobacco port of Georgetown, the Potomac River, and, to the east, the growing city of Washington DC. Then a hay field, sheep and cows grazed on the law. By the beginning of the 1900s . . . — — Map (db m95956) HM
On Potomac Street Northwest at O Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on Potomac Street Northwest.
This first Episcopal congregation in Georgetown was founded in 1796 by the Reverend Walter Dulany Addison. Other founders and benefactors include Thomas Hyde, Thomas Corcoran, Benjamin Stoddert, and Francis Scott Key. President Thomas Jefferson . . . — — Map (db m113951) HM
On O Street Northwest at Prospect Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on O Street Northwest.
Step across the cobblestone street and trolley tracks of a bygone era and look up at the façade of St. John's Church, Georgetown Parish, designed in the Federal style by William Thornton, architect of the Capitol. This Episcopal parish, established . . . — — Map (db m112133) HM WM
Near Reservoir Road Northwest east of 38th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east.
This building is named in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and was dedicated to Our Lady of Victory. Originally built as a combined Nursing School and Nurses Dormitory. The building is home to the School of Nursing and Health Studies although it no . . . — — Map (db m110854) HM
On N Street Northwest at 30th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on N Street Northwest.
Hidden behind the grand houses of N Street — and many others large and small — are tranquil walled gardens with brick terraces, old shade trees, lily ponds, swimming pools, and a tennis court or two.
Behind you stands the Edes Home, . . . — — Map (db m113641) HM WM
On R Street Northwest at 35th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on R Street Northwest.
The imposing classic revival building on the hill is the Duke Ellington School of the Arts, formerly Western High School. It was completed in 1898 as a "temple of learning" and was among the first public senior high schools in Washington.
. . . — — Map (db m112146) HM WM
On 36th Street Northwest south of O Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
Founded 1970 by the Black Student Alliance as a gathering place for community and support. Rededicated 2013 as a continuing force for justice and equality at Georgetown for generations to come. — — Map (db m118011) HM
On M Street, NW 0 miles west of Wisconsin Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
First built in 1796 Restored by the City Tavern Association Founded 1959 Founders Mr. Robert Calhoun Baker · Capt. and Mrs. Peter Belin (UNS, Ret.) · Mrs. Denton Blair · Hon. and Mrs. Robert Woods Bliss · Hon. and Mrs. David K. E. Bruce · Mr. and . . . — — Map (db m97686) HM
On 30th Street, NW, on the right when traveling north.
Long a Georgetown landmark, this building was occupied from 1826 by Miss Lydia English's Georgetown Female Seminary, whose patrons and frequent visitors included Martin Van Buren, James Buchanan, Daniel Webster, Henry Clay, Andrew Johnson, General . . . — — Map (db m97727) HM
These iconic steps were featured in William Friedkin's 1973
Warner Bros. classic motion picture, based on the novel
and screenplay by William Peter Blatty, The Exorcist.
In the film's climactic ending,
Father Karras (actor Jason . . . — — Map (db m90158) HM
Occupying the most prominent site on the Georgetown Heights overlooking Georgetown, the Potomac River and Virginia is the Georgetown Branch Library. The library houses the Peabody Room, an archive devoted to the history of Georgetown. The archive . . . — — Map (db m101365) HM
On 31st Street Northwest, on the left when traveling south.
The Georgetown House is closely linked with the history of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. The building was constructed about 1830 by the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Co. for use as a storage room. Later it became a tavern but shortly thereafter turned into . . . — — Map (db m111008) HM
On 31st Street Northwest south of M Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north.
Canal Square has seen more than century and a half of change in Georgetown. It is a typical brick and fieldstone industrial structure built to facilitate barge traffic on the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Canal. Necessary for westward expansion, canals . . . — — Map (db m113418) HM
On 33rd Street, NW at N Street, NW, on the left when traveling south on 33rd Street, NW.
This tablet marks the last home of Stephen Bloomer Balch, D.D. An officer in the Revolution 1747-1833 To the youth under his academic guidance he gave military training and led them in active service. For fifty years he was a leader in the . . . — — Map (db m97760) HM
On P Street, NW, on the right when traveling west.
founded in 1780 and chartered by Congress in 1806, has the longest unbroken ministry in Washington. This building was erected in 1821 at what is now 30th and M, was moved to this site in 1873 and altered to a Victorian style. In 1956, the building . . . — — Map (db m97747) HM
On M Street, NW at 34th Street, NW, on the left when traveling west on M Street, NW.
The Flag. The immortal words "star-spangled Banner" refer to the magnificent flag which Francis Scott Key saw "by the dawn's early light" after the British bombardment of Fort McHenry on September 14, 1814. It is the largest flag ever flown in . . . — — Map (db m82470) HM
3001-3003 M Street was built as a single dwelling in 1794 by Thomas Sim Lee twice Governor of Maryland, 1779-1782 and 1792-1794. Lee also owned the adjoining land which he sold to Andrew Ross and Robert Getty who, in 1810, built 3005-3011 M Street . . . — — Map (db m97647) HM
On Reservoir Road, NW 0 miles east of 44th Street, NW, on the right when traveling east.
Rachel Carson (1907-1964), a renowned writer and scientist who helped launch the modern environmental movement, once walked these woods. In her groundbreaking book, Silent Spring (1962), Carson warned citizens that the widespread use of . . . — — Map (db m114367) HM
On 35th Street Northwest at Volta Place Northwest, on the left when traveling south on 35th Street Northwest.
has been designated a
under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
This site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating or illustrating
the . . . — — Map (db m112142) HM
On Volta Place Northwest at Wisconsin Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling east on Volta Place Northwest.
The first house of worship in Georgetown — a town dominated by Presbyterian Scots — was a log church built in 1769 by a Lutheran congregation where the present Lutheran church now stands (opposite). The Presbyterian Burial Ground, once . . . — — Map (db m120508) HM
On O Street Northwest at 31st Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on O Street Northwest.
Before there was a DC Fire Department, companies from two then-separate towns — Georgetown and Washington — provided local fire protection. In 1789, Georgetown citizens purchased a hand-pumped engine and fire buckets with funds raised . . . — — Map (db m113420) HM
On P Street Northwest west of 23rd Street Northwest.
In 1608 Captain John Smith sailed up the Potomac, the first European to lay eyes on this site. At that time, ships could sail up to this point, and beautiful bluffs led down to the water. Algonquin Indians lived here in great numbers, drawn by stone . . . — — Map (db m110015) HM
On August 24, 1814, as word spread that the British were coming, Dr. William Thornton and his wife Anna Marie fled their downtown F Street home and took refuge here at Tudor Place, home of their friend Martha Parke Custis Peter. That night, Mrs. . . . — — Map (db m95949) WM