Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Georgetown, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
1st Battalion 178th Field Artillery Memorial image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, May 2, 2010
1st Battalion 178th Field Artillery Memorial
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 1st Battalion 178th Field Artillery
To our Guardsmen and Families of the 1 BN 178 FA: In appreciation for your sacrifices, bravery and loyalty during Operation Iraqi Freedom (2004-2005) From the Citizens of Georgetown County — Map (db m31642) WM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 24 Pound Naval GunCirca 1800
Cast by the Hughes Foundry near Havre de Grace, Maryland about 1800. The Defense Act of 1794 authorized 180 similar guns to be manufactured. This gun is one of three known to exist today. Two similar guns are in Savannah, Georgia. This gun is marked . . . — Map (db m30411) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 718 Front Street— Georgetown, S.C. —
Heritage Site 2005 718 Front Street Built 1937 D.C. Simpkins CB Schooler Optometrist 1962 - 2001 — Map (db m70232) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 724 Front Street— Georgetown, S.C. —
Heritage Site 2005 724 Front Street Built 1937 by Abrams Brothers Walgreen's Drug Store 1937 - 1978 — Map (db m70249) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 726 Front Street
Heritage Site 2005 726 Front Street Built 1936 Morris Abrams Palace Theater 1936 - 1963 — Map (db m70303) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 732 - 734 Front Street— Georgetown, S.C. —
Heritage Site 2005 732 - 734 Front Street Built 1906 J B Steele People's Bank 1906 - 1924 — Map (db m70329) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-17 — Antipedo Baptist Church / Old Baptist Cemetery
Antipedo Baptist Church In the plan of Georgetown, laid out by 1730, this one acre lot was reserved for Antipedo Baptist by Elisha Screven. A brick building built before the Revolution for the Baptists, Presbyterians, and independents housed the . . . — Map (db m4889) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-1 — Attacks Upon Georgetown
On January 24, 1781, Capts. Carnes and Rudulph, by orders from Gen. Marion and Col. Lee, surprised the British garrison at Georgetown and captured Col. Campbell. Upon Gen. Marion’s second approach, June 6, 1781, the British evacuated the town. . . . — Map (db m21860) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Belle W. Baruch(1899 - 1964)
Belle Wilcox Baruch, with great love and foresight for Hobcaw Barony, provided a plan that enables generations of people to understand and learn from Hobcaw's forests, marshes, and beaches. In 1936, Bellefield Plantation became Belle's winter . . . — Map (db m39643) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-44 — Beth Elohim Cemetery
This cemetery, established ca. 1772, is the second oldest Jewish cemetery in the state and serves a community which has been significant here since well before the American Revolution. Abraham Cohen and Mordecai Myers, who opened stores in the town . . . — Map (db m4857) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-22 — Bethel Church
This African Methodist Episcopal Church was the first separate black church in Georgetown County. It was established by the Rev. A.T. Carr shortly after the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation which freed the slaves. The church purchased this property . . . — Map (db m7244) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-40 — Bethesda Baptist Church
Organized shortly after the Civil War with Rev. Edward Rhue as its first pastor, Bethesda Baptist Church purchased this site by 1867. Construction of this sanctuary began in 1922 during the pastorate of Rev. A.W. Puller and was completed and . . . — Map (db m7859) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-25 — Birthplace of Jeremiah John Snow / China Grove Plantation
Birthplace of Jeremiah John Snow. China Grove was the birthplace of the Reverend Jeremiah John Snow (1836–1892), a son of the third James Snow who lived here. He entered the Methodist Conference in 1863, and was a chaplain in the Third . . . — Map (db m16513) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — City of Georgetown
September 17, 2005, the City of Georgetown, South Carolina celebrated two events: The Tricentennial of the first King's Grant in present Georgetown County on September 15, 1705, and the Bicentennial of Georgetown's incorporation in 1805. The grant . . . — Map (db m31611) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-5 — Clifton Plantation
President George Washington on his southern tour traveled southward over this road, April 27-30, 1791. While in this vicinity the day and night of April 29, he was the guest of Captain William Alston on this plantation, Clifton, which was . . . — Map (db m4877) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Company A, 10th South Carolina Infantry RegimentGeorgetown Confederate Memorial
(Front):1861 to 1865 Privates J.C. Dennis. W.H. Deal. B.A. Deal, wd. July 22, '64, Atlanta. J.C. Deal, discharged, over age, since died. S.C. Davis, captured, Missionary Ridge, since died. J.W. Durant, discharged 1862, since died. J.L. . . . — Map (db m31789) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Elisha Screven
1st Dec. 1638 3rd Dec. 1757 Who Planned and Founded Georgetown 1730-5 Within a nearby lot is the Screven grave yard. — Map (db m102502) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-28 — Elisha Screven / William Screven
Elisha Screven. Elisha Screven, founder of Georgetown, was a younger son of William, who owned and lived his final years on these Wynyah lands. To promote settlement here, Elisha planned a town, to be called Georgetown, which reserved lots for . . . — Map (db m7604) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-42 — First Baptist Church
This congregation, founded in 1794 and long known as Antipedo Baptist Church, was the first separate Baptist congregation in Georgetown. Baptists had worshipped in the area as early as 1710, sharing the Black Mingo Meeting House with Presbyterians . . . — Map (db m7953) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Francis Marion
To the honor and glory of Francis Marion and his men who under extreme hardships did such valued service for the independence of their country in the War of the American Revolution. — Map (db m23551) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-6 — Gabriel Marion
When Capt. John Nelson, sent by Gen. Marion, Jan., 1781, to the Sampit Road to reconnoitre, met Capt. Barfield and his Tories near White’s Bridge, a sharp fight ensued. Lieut. Gabriel Marion, nephew of Gen. Marion, was captured and inhumanely shot . . . — Map (db m16365) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-23 — General Arthur M. Manigault
Volunteer aide-de-camp to Gen. Beauregard in April 1861, mustered into Confederate service at White’s Bridge near here on July 19, 1861, as Colonel of the 10th Regiment, S.C. Infantry, promoted Brigadier General on April 26, 1863, wounded at the . . . — Map (db m16378) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-2 (Q) — Georgetown
Georgetown, the third oldest town in the state, was laid out in 1729 by Elisha Screven on land granted to John and Edward Perrie, Sept. 15, 1705, and deeded by him, Jan. 18, 1734, to George Pawley, William Swinton, and Daniel La Roche, Trustees. It . . . — Map (db m7422) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-46 — Georgetown County Courthouse
This courthouse, designed by prominent architect and South Carolina native Robert Mills (1781–1855), was built in 1823–24 to replace a courthouse which had been damaged by two hurricanes. Mills himself, who also designed the . . . — Map (db m7634) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Georgetown County Veteran’s MemorialFor God and Country
Monument: Dedicated to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice and in honor of all who served their country in time of need Footer stone: Sponsored by American Legion Post 114 Post 173 Post . . . — Map (db m39646) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Georgetown Steel Corporation
Georgetown Steel Corporation converts iron ore imported from South America and Canada in to premium-grade steel wire rod that ultimately is used in the manufacturing of radial tires, pre-stressed concrete strand and dozens of commercial and . . . — Map (db m31641) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Georgetown’s Industrious PastPort of Georgetown
Georgetown’s Industrious Past Port of Georgetown Indigo was first introduced to the area around the 1740's and served as Georgetown's first principal cash crop. Taking advantage of British bounties for indigo, highly prized as a clothing dye in . . . — Map (db m100768) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-57 — Hobcaw Barony
[Marker Front]: In 1718 the Lords Proprietors granted 12,000 acres on Hobcaw Point, the southern portion of Waccamaw Neck, to John, Lord Carteret. The barony was subdivided beginning in 1766, creating several large rice plantations . . . — Map (db m16288) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Hobcaw BaronyA Woman's Gift
The 17,500-acre Hobcaw Barony is one of the few remaining undeveloped tracts of land on the Waccamaw Neck. Once part of a 1716 land grant, its name comes from Hobcaw, the Native American word meaning between the waters, and . . . — Map (db m102745) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-3 — Hopsewee
Thomas Lynch, Jr., signer of the Declaration Of Independence, was born here Aug. 5, 1749. He was elected from St. James Parish, Santee, to 1st Provincial Congress, Dec. 19, 1774; to 2nd Provincial Congress, Aug. 7-8, 1775; to the Continental . . . — Map (db m16299) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-21 — Howard School
After purchasing this land January 1, 1866, Georgetown Colored Academy built a school here. By 1908 the old building had been torn down and a new school built, its name changed to Howard. The elementary department moved into a new structure on . . . — Map (db m7864) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-48 — John and Mary Perry Cleland House
This house, one of Georgetown’s earliest, was built ca. 1737 by John and Mary Perry Cleland. Mrs. Cleland inherited the property from her father John Perry, who had been granted a large tract in 1705 including the site of present-day Georgetown. . . . — Map (db m7863) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-37 — Joseph Hayne Rainey
This National Historic Landmark was the family home of Joseph H. Rainey, the first African American elected to the US House of Representatives, 1870–1879. Born in Georgetown County in 1832, Rainey, it is said, made blockade-running trips . . . — Map (db m7528) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Joseph Hayne Rainey Park
This park was dedicated in 1993 to the memory of Georgetown native Joseph Hayne Rainey, the first African American to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives. Born to slave parents in 1832, Rainey escaped to Bermuda when the War Between the . . . — Map (db m31640) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-49 — Kaminski House
This house, probably built between 1750 an 1800, was for many years the home of Harold Kaminski (1886–1951), Georgetown County commissioner, mayor 1930–35, and U.S. Navy officer, and his wife Julia Bossard Pyatt (d. 1972). The house was . . . — Map (db m98297) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Kaminski House Museum
Dating back to the 1700s, the Kaminski House contains one of the finest collections in English and American antiques and furnishings in South Carolina. The original structure with beaded clapboard siding was built around 1769 by Paul Trapier, a . . . — Map (db m6855) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Kaminski House Museuma City's Legacy
Overlooking the Sampit River, the Kaminski House Museum is pre-Revolutionary War and one of over 60 antebellum landmarks in the Georgetown Historic District. The house was built by Paul Trapier, a prominent local merchant, considered to be one of . . . — Map (db m66371) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-8 (A-4) — Lafayette
A lover of liberty, Lafayette left Bordeaux, France, March 26, 1777, “to conquer or perish” in the American cause, and arrived at Benjamin Huger’s summer home near here, June 14, 1777, where he spent his first night in America. He . . . — Map (db m4872) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Landing of Lafayette1777      1952
This Tablet Commemorates the 175th Anniversary Of The Landing Of The Marquis de Lafayette at North Island on Winyah Bay June 13, 1777 and the First Day Issue of the Lafayette Memorial Stamp in Georgetown, South Carolina . . . — Map (db m65915) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Lest We ForgetBattery White Memorial
Lest We Forget In memory of the Confederate soldiers who served at Battery White during the War Between the States 1861 - 1865 Erected by Arthur Manigault Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy May 25, 1929. — Map (db m31645) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Life on the Rivers of Georgetown
Georgetown is blessed with deep navigable rivers that historically served as the city's safest and easiest routes for trading. Four rivers flow together to form Winyah Bay: Sampit, Waccamaw, Pee Dee, and Black. Each river's name, with the . . . — Map (db m102544) WM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Major C. Spencer Guerry
After graduating from the University of South Carolina, C. Spencer Guerry began his law enforcement career on March 1, 1979, by joining the Georgetown Police Department. He rose through various positions of increasing responsibility until attaining . . . — Map (db m7764) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Marquis de Lafayette
This tablet commemorates the 150th anniversary of the first landing of Marquis de Lafayette accompanied by Baron de Kalb on North Island, Georgetown County, S. C. June 13, 1777. He came to draw his sword for the young republic in the hour of her . . . — Map (db m7717) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-15 — Methodists
William Wayne, nephew of Revolutionary General Anthony Wayne, was converted here by Bishop Francis Asbury on February 24, 1785, and a Methodist congregation was formed later that year. Woolman Hickson was appointed minister. This is the site of an . . . — Map (db m7854) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-55 — Mount Olive Baptist Church
This church was founded in 1866 by Rev. James Smalls, its pastor for many years. The congregation, which built its sanctuary here on land owned by the Gospel Harp Society, grew to more than one hundred members by 1903. In 1914 trustees S.B. Belin, . . . — Map (db m7873) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Only Colonial Banking House in America
Built in 1735 with materials brought from England. — Map (db m102555) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Prince George Winyah Church
Parish founded 1721. Present church erected about 1750. Aided by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, London. Occupied by British forces during the Revolution. — Map (db m7421) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-9 — Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah
Prince George’s Parish, Winyah, was created March 10, 1721, and the parish church erected on Black River, 1726, at the present Brown’s Ferry. After Prince Frederick’s Parish was formed from Prince George’s, April 9, 1734, the parish church was . . . — Map (db m82442) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-4 — Prospect Hill
On his tour south to inspect the defenses of the Atlantic coast, President Monroe reached Prospect Hill, Col. Benjamin Huger’s residence, April 21, 1819. During his stay, April 21-24, he was lavishly entertained by his host and by the citizens and . . . — Map (db m4870) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Rainey-Camlin House
Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America — Map (db m102552) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Rice is King
Rice was introduced to the area as early as 1690, but did not become a major crop until after the Revolutionary War. Local planters made large fortune cultivating rice - Carolina Gold - in the area's low-lying river estuaries. This crop required . . . — Map (db m102545) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-45 — Robert Stewart House
The Robert Steward House was built between 1740 and 1770 by Robert Stewart (d.1776), planter and militia captain; it was acquired in 1787 by Daniel Tucker (d. 1797), prominent Georgetown merchant. When President George Washington arrived in . . . — Map (db m4856) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Screven Cemetery
Here are buried William Screven (1624–1713) and other members of his family. A native of England, he migrated to Kittery, Me., and was persecuted by New England authorities for non-conformity. He and other members of the Kittery Church came to . . . — Map (db m7612) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-12 — Sergeant McDonald
Here Sgt. McDonald bayoneted the fleeing Maj. Gainey, following the defeat of the Tories under Major Gainey by the Americans under Col. Peter Horry. This bloody skirmish took place, January, 1781, between the Sampit and the Black River roads. — Map (db m7474) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-58 — Sinking Of The USS Harvest Moon
(Front) In early 1865 the USS Harvest Moon, a 193-foot, 5-gun side-wheel steamer, was the flagship of Adm. John A. Dahlgren of the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, U.S. Navy. It arrived off Georgetown and anchored nearby on . . . — Map (db m48346) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — South Carolina Champion Oak
The live oak between houses 513 and 515 Prince Street is registered with The American Forestry Associates as a State Champion – South Carolina. In 1940 the tree was estimated to be over 500 years old, and it measured 23 feet in circumference, . . . — Map (db m7662) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — South Carolina’s Third Oldest City
Founded in 1729, Georgetown is the third oldest city in South Carolina and was named for George, Prince of Wales, who later became King George II. Settled by migrating families from Charleston, the colonial residents made their livelihood as . . . — Map (db m9971) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — South Carolina's Third Oldest CityPort of Georgetown
Port of Georgetown South Carolina's Third Oldest City It is believed that the Spanish first settled an outpost on Winyah Bay in 1526. Allegedly, this settlement only lasted six months and no remains have ever been found. Georgetown was formally . . . — Map (db m100767) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-50 — The Oaks Plantation
The Oaks Plantation was established on the Santee River in 1705 by a grant from the Lords Proprietors to John Sauseau, a French Huguenot settler. It passed through several owners in the prominent Buchanan and Withers families before 1793, when . . . — Map (db m16383) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — The Rice Museum
The rice culture in Georgetown County is one of the most colorful chapters in American History. Through maps, dioramas, artifacts, "The Garden of Gold" video produced by the museum, and other exhibits, the Rice Museum tells the story of the rice . . . — Map (db m68021) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — These Two Cannons
These two cannons were formerly mounted in front of the U.S. Naval Reserve Building on Front Street. Originally they were part of the Confederate defense system at Battery White near Georgetown. — Map (db m4860) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-47 — Town Clock / Kaminski Building
Town Clock This Greek Revival market and town hall was built in 1842 after a fire destroyed many of the frame buildings on Front Street. An open-air market occupied the first floor and the town hall occupied the second floor; the clock tower . . . — Map (db m7683) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-43 — William Doyle Morgan House
732 Prince Street was the home of William Doyle Morgan (1853–1938), mayor 1891–1906 and the catalyst for much of Georgetown’s growth and prosperity by the turn of the century. He helped give the city what one observer called “the . . . — Map (db m7603) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — William Screven
A pioneer Baptist preacher of Somerton, England. Immigrated to Kittery, Maine. Forced to leave that state for preaching the gospel. Came south with a group of Baptists. Organized first Baptist church in the South, in 1683, at . . . — Map (db m102503) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-16 — Winyah Indigo Society
Springing from the fervor for indigo, the colony’s vital new crop for making blue dye, the Winyah Indigo Society was begun in 1755 and incorporated 1757 to ensure stronger financial support for the free school which it had founded. Thomas Lynch was . . . — Map (db m7664) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-20 — Winyah Schools
Winyah Indigo School District was created in 1885 to maintain public education in Georgetown. In 1887, the district assumed the existing school owned by the Winyah Indigo Society, established in 1755. Completed in 1908 was a building housing . . . — Map (db m7860) HM

66 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.