Built in 1912 for Alexander W. and Eva Sillure, this house is representative of the city’s early 20th-century architectural heritage. Sillure, general manager and vice president of the Belford Lumber Company, personally supervised construction of . . . — — Map (db m42336) HM
Built in 1909 by the C.S. Belford Lumber company, this was originally the home of Southwestern University German professor Martin C. Amos (d. 1911) and his family. It was later purchased by another member of the university faculty, chemistry . . . — — Map (db m25951) HM
Designed by noted Austin architect Charles H. Page, this home was built for the family of Georgetown dentist William Joseph Burcham (1876–1932) in 1908–09. Both Dr. Burcham and his wife Mayme (1882–1962) were civic and cultural . . . — — Map (db m2544) HM
Christian Augustus Daniel Clamp was born in Thorn, Prussia (now Torun, Poland). He came to Texas in 1846 and moved to Georgetown in 1851, a year after his marriage to Asenath C. Davis (d. 1917). A skilled carpenter and cabinetmaker, Clamp became one . . . — — Map (db m2562) HM
Belford Lumber Co. built this house in 1915 for real estate businessman Charles Byron Atkinson and his wife, Lilburn (Dimmit), daughter of a prominent local family. C.B. died at the age of 35, five years after its completion. Lilburn later . . . — — Map (db m42433) HM
Georgia native Claude Carr Cody (1854–1923) worked at Southwestern University for 37 years, serving as a mathematics professor and university administrator. He was known as the “Grand Old Man of Southwestern.” He wed Martha . . . — — Map (db m42430) HM
A distinguished chief justice of the Texas Supreme Court, and a native of Williamson County.
Descendant of 1849 settlers from Alabama, he was a son of Nathaniel Franklin and Mary J. Porterfield Hickman. He attended the Liberty Hill Normal . . . — — Map (db m4764) HM
The Belford Lumber Co. built this home in 1910 for local attorney Cooper Sansom (1863–1928). A former newspaperman, Sansom served as city attorney and later as state representative and district judge. An active civic leader, he was also . . . — — Map (db m2824) HM
South Carolina native David M. Love (1821–1892) was an early settler of Wiliamson County. He was engaged in farming and ranching before moving to Georgetown in the 1860s. A prominent local business leader, he had this Victorian commercial . . . — — Map (db m2905) HM
A native of South Carolina, Samuel Allen Easley (1851–1933) came to Texas with his parents at the age of one. They settled on a large amount of acreage along the San Gabriel River in Williamson County. After managing the family farm for much . . . — — Map (db m3160) HM
Arkansas native Emzy Taylor clerked in his father's Georgetown square mercantile store before serving as a Confederate Captain in the Red River valley during the Civil War. He married Margaret Henderson in 1864 while on furlough and after the war . . . — — Map (db m3219) HM
Swedish immigrant settlers in Williamson County met together in homes for worship services as early as 1884. In 1891 this congregation was organized in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sven Peterson by 21 charter members. Known as Brushy Evangelical Free . . . — — Map (db m3242) HM
The Merchants and Farmers Bank began in 1898 and incorporated as Farmers State Bank in 1905. In 1910, bank officers contracted for the building of a new bank onto existing commercial property at this site. Construction was finished in 1912. In the . . . — — Map (db m3265) HM
The Rev. William Mumford Baker presided over this congregation’s organization in 1854 at the Round Rock home of Richard and Mary Agnes (Cooper) Sansom. By 1856, the church was meeting in Georgetown, where C.A.D. Clamp deeded a site (at 4th and . . . — — Map (db m3488) HM
Founded in 1849 as Georgetown Mission, organized 1874 but still served then by circuit riders. This church acquired a resident pastor in 1879. Original building was erected in 1881-82 on the Southwestern University campus.
The present church . . . — — Map (db m114190) HM
According to local tradition Williamson County's first six commissioners met here under a stately oak tree in May 1848 to choose a location for the county seat. George Washington Glasscock, Sr., later joined them and offered to donate land he owned . . . — — Map (db m3944) HM
Built 1872 by the Rev. S. J. Lane, chaplain, Southwestern University; founder, First Methodist church, Georgetown. Bought 1903 by the Rev. George W. Riley (1853-1925), a grandson of Llano County Indians' 1859 victim, the Rev. Jonas Dancer.
G. W. . . . — — Map (db m3952) HM
Scottish native George Irvine (1841-1936) built this two-story frame home for his family in 1886. The founder of the Irvine Brothers Lumber Co. (later the Belford Lumber Co.), Irvine was a civic leader who served on the school board, the city . . . — — Map (db m4004) HM
In Memory of
George Washington Glasscock, Sr.
the city of Georgetown and
the County of Glasscock, Texas are named.
Born in Kentucky April 11, 1810.
Participated in the Black Hawk War, 1832
Came to Texas in 1834 and . . . — — Map (db m25954) HM
Designed by C.I. Belford and constructed in 1892 by C.W. Schell, this building originally housed the mayor's office, city council chambers, city jail, fire department, and the Georgetown Water Co. Over the years, it also has served as a meeting . . . — — Map (db m4035) HM
Built in 1923-24 on the original site of Southwestern University, this structure served as Georgetown High School for over fifty years. Designed by Austin architect Charles H. Page and exhibiting influences of the Spanish Colonial Revival style of . . . — — Map (db m4059) HM
Built in 1903, this ornate Victorian structure originally housed the furniture store of Hugh Clifford Craig (1850-1938). Craig sold his business to local competitor W.H. Davis in 1906, but retained ownership of the building. In 1936, after the Davis . . . — — Map (db m25036) HM
Built about 1895 for lumberman Henry W. Harrell, this Victorian house resembles others erected in this neighborhood by the C. S. Belford Lumber Co. It was sold in 1907 to storekeeper W. F. Magee. In 1937 the structure was purchased by Judge Samuel . . . — — Map (db m4220) HM
Discovered in May 1963 on land of W.W. Laubach by core-drilling team, Texas Highway Department. Exploration began in November 1963 and continues to present.
Carved by water from Edwards Limestone, cave lies along the Balcones fault and is . . . — — Map (db m69258) HM
The Iota Chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity was chartered at Southwestern University on October 12, 1886. Iota became an official chapter on October 15, 1886, following the initiations of Iverson B. Lane, Jesse C. Baker, Jasper B. Gibbs, and John . . . — — Map (db m4345) HM
One of the many fine structures erected by C. S. Belford Lumber Co., this house was built in 1895 for grocer J. A. McDougle (d. 1939). the Victorian styling included ornate stained glass windows. The home was bought in 1901 by John R. Allen and in . . . — — Map (db m4346) HM
A pioneer of this region. Born in Madison County, Ky. With bride, Sarah Coffey, came to Texas in wagon train led by his father, Isaac, and including brothers David, John R., Kelse, and other kin. Moved to Berry’s Creek area on Dec. 24, 1848. Served . . . — — Map (db m4361) HM
Tennessee native Jesse Eugene Cooper (1855–1944) came to Texas in 1876. The following year he helped establish a Georgetown newspaper, the “Williamson County Sun.” In addition to his role as editor, he also founded a local bank and . . . — — Map (db m4375) HM
A native of Palestine, Texas, Jessie Daniel came to Georgetown in 1893. She graduated from Southwestern University in 1902. In 1904 she moved to Laredo, where she married Roger Post Ames (d. 1914), an Army surgeon. They were the parents of three . . . — — Map (db m101250) HM
A native of Kentucky and veteran of the War of 1812, John Berry moved in 1816 to Indiana. In 1827 he brought his family to the Atascosito District of Texas. Mexico awarded him lots in Liberty and Mina (Bastrop) when those towns were founded.
. . . — — Map (db m101249) HM
Tennessee native John McQueen Taylor came to Texas with his family in 1829 as a settler in the Empresario Grant of Lorenzo de Zavala. Taylor fought in the Anahuac disturbances of 1834 and later, as a soldier in the Texas army, he participated in the . . . — — Map (db m23483) HM
Jonah Cemetery was established in 1902 when community leaders J. M. Barrington, W. S. McMakins, C. Brady, A. J. McDonald, and R. H. Northcutt purchased two acres near the San Gabriel River to be used as a cemetery. Burials were free to area . . . — — Map (db m4407) HM
Born in Albany, New York, Greenleaf Fisk was the son of a Presbyterian minister. He began preparation for the ministry himself but left his studies to migrate to the Texas frontier. In 1834 he settled in Bastrop. There he joined a company of . . . — — Map (db m4408) HM
Born April 4, 1877 in La Vernia (Wilson County), Harry Graves attended Southwestern University in Georgetown and later served three terms as city attorney. As Williamson County attorney, he aided the prosecution in a landmark trial against the Ku . . . — — Map (db m42431) HM
In the 1920s, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) was a nationwide organization that openly preached white supremacy and hatred for blacks, Jews, Catholics, and immigrants. In Texas, Klan membership peaked in 1923 with upwards of 150,000 members. Klansmen . . . — — Map (db m85271) HM
This limestone commercial structure was built in 1884 to house the Sanders & Lesesne Drugstore. It remained in use as a pharmacy for the next 76 years. William D. Nichols operated the drugstore from 1887 until 1892. In that year, Dr. Thomas B. Stone . . . — — Map (db m4531) HM
Located on the site of an 1840s store, this structure was built after the Civil War. In the 1880s it housed the mercantile firm of Rucker & Montgomery. Ohio native Melville Beveridge Lockett opened his store here in 1889 and remodeled the building . . . — — Map (db m4608) HM
The earliest worship services of this congregation were held in 1881 under a back yard arbor at the home of Matilda Lewis. Nine families, including those of Robert Lewis, W. Stevenson, Wiley Cleaveland, George Ross, Esaw Beard, Kissiah Jefferson, . . . — — Map (db m4681) HM
This historic crossing on the San Gabriel River was named for pioneer settler Samuel Mankins, who purchased land along the river in 1849. The limestone bed in the river provided a convenient crossing for area farmers. A nearby community included a . . . — — Map (db m4691) HM
This Foursquare house was built in 1908 by the Belford Lumber Co. for Marsh Fawn Smith (1875-1961), operator of a local cottonseed oil mill, and his wife Jessie (Cooper) (1879-1963). Smith served as mayor of Georgetown from 1926 to 1946, important . . . — — Map (db m4710) HM
Twenty years before the integration of the Georgetown public school district, a progressive music professor and her three students embarked on a program to explore a new musical teaching theory and give African American children a chance to learn . . . — — Map (db m87587) HM
The North Fork of the San Gabriel River, part of the Brazos River system, flows east across Williamson County to join with the Middle and South forks at Georgetown. Abundant fish and wildlife attracted numerous Indian tribes to the areas along the . . . — — Map (db m4801) HM
Associated with Texas pioneers, businessmen, statesmen, writers. Erected 1901 as a hotel by P.H. Dimmitt & Co. Later occupied by mercantile stores -- meeting place for families and friends from Williamson County communities. Georgetown's first movie . . . — — Map (db m4832) HM
This site on the south bank of the South San Gabriel River, a portion of the land donated by George W. Glasscock in 1848 for the county seat of Williamson County, was used as a burial plot from 1840 to 1902. Many pioneer citizens lie buried here . . . — — Map (db m4908) HM
The Methodist church established four colleges in Texas prior to the Civil War: Rutersville College (1840), Wesleyan College (1844), McKenzie Institute (1848), and Soule University (1856). The Rev. Dr. Francis Asbury Mood (1830-1884) was named . . . — — Map (db m4909) HM
Built in 1903, this house was owned by a succession of area ranchers. J.M. Page had the home built for his family, but sold it to his brother-in-law Thomas Decrow in 1903. The home was purchased in 1920 by Horace M. Weir, and in the 1930s a polo . . . — — Map (db m34526) HM
Born in Fannin County, Texas, during the Republic of Texas period, John Parker Pennington (1840-1904), lived as a young man in Arizona territory. As a member of one of the first families to settle in the territory he survived several deadly . . . — — Map (db m25172) HM
Built in 1904 by William Pearce to provide storage space for a wholesale grocery company, this building was part of a larger industrial complex. A number of buildings were constructed along nearby railroad lines, including an ice plant and bottling . . . — — Map (db m24955) HM
Organized in 1851, three years after the creation of Williamson County, San Gabriel Lodge No. 89 was chartered in January 1852 with John T. Cox, a Methodist minister from South Carolina, as Worshipful Master. The lodge grew rapidly with the new . . . — — Map (db m24956) HM
The land and springs around this site made it a favored camping site for local Indian tribes for centuries before the Spanish discovered it. Raids, drought and conflict led the Spanish to abandon the area in 1756. The Mexican state of Coahuila and . . . — — Map (db m25215) HM
On site of cabin used (1848) as first county courthouse.
This frontier saddlery, erected 1870 of hand-cut limestone by John H. Shafer, had living quarters upstairs.
Since 1872 occupants have been attorneys, a newspaper, and many other . . . — — Map (db m25056) HM
The first school for African American students in Georgetown was established in the early 20th century. Called “The Colored School,” the institution served grades 1 through 8 and provided the only local educational opportunities for . . . — — Map (db m25423) HM
Moravian immigrant Johann Neusser came to Texas in 1872 and settled in Fayette County. In 1881, he and a number of fellow immigrants moved their families to this area. The Georgetown and Granger Railroad Company built a line through Neusser’s land . . . — — Map (db m25399) HM
Mother of all Texas colleges and universities. Absorbed charters of Rutersville College, Fayette County (1840), and Wesleyan Male and Female College, San Augustine (1844), chartered by the Republic of Texas; McKenzie College, Clarksville (1848), and . . . — — Map (db m25322) HM
Oldest structure on permanent campus. Planned 1895-97 as chapel, library, classrooms, offices, when the regent (president) was Dr. J.H. McLean (1838-1925); built 1898-1900 under regent R.S. Hyer (1860-1929). From throughout the state came building . . . — — Map (db m24947) HM
This burial ground is located on the site where the first Swedish Methodist church in the Brushy Creek area was located. In the early 1870s, Swedish immigrants began to settle in this area and by the early 1880s, Pastor C.C. Charmquist and residents . . . — — Map (db m25943) HM
As early as 1871, pioneer Swedish settlers near Union Hill (4 mi. S), also known as the Brushy area, were holding Methodist worship services in homes. In 1882 they formally organized as a Swedish Methodist Episcopal church. The congregation moved to . . . — — Map (db m25503) HM
Built about 1870 by M.E. Steele on the site of an early log hotel, this is one of Georgetown’s oldest commercial structures. During Steele’s ownership it housed a mercantile and a bank. Emma Dickman Makemson later operated a hotel here from the . . . — — Map (db m43032) HM
A dramatic chapter in administration (1838-1841) of Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar. Aware of United States – Mexico commerce crossing Texas by the Santa Fe Trail near the Canadian River, President Lamar sought similar trade . . . — — Map (db m25210) HM
Laid out about 1828 by Delaware Indians, “The Double File Trail” got its name because two horsemen could ride it side by side. The Delawares carved this trace migrating ahead of expanding white settlements. They moved from what they . . . — — Map (db m24915) HM
In 1893 Lula Holland Leavell (1854-1895) and her daughters, Blanche and Kate, hosted a literary reading for a group of Georgetown women. That year the group formed a women’s literary club. In 1897 the club was named the “Initial History . . . — — Map (db m28810) HM
Prominent local builder Charles S. Belford completed this home for Wesley Carrol Vaden and his wife Kate (Lockett) in 1908. Eclectic in design, the residence features Queen Anne styling with classical influences favored by Vaden, a Virginia native . . . — — Map (db m24913) HM
This house was erected in 1895 for William Y. Penn (1860-1951), a local merchant who also served as city alderman and mayor. Like several other Victorian homes here, it was built by C.S. Belford Lumber Co. In 1907 the structure became the residence . . . — — Map (db m87739) HM
This congregation was organized in 1869 by the Rev. Richard Robert Haywood, an early Texas missionary in the African Methodist Episcopal church. Trustees of the church bought land at this site in 1881, and worship services were held in a small . . . — — Map (db m43062) HM
North Carolina native William Cornelius Dalrymple served in the Texas Revolutionary forces and as a Texas Ranger during the 1830s. He married Elizabeth Wilbarger in Bastrop County, Texas, in 1840, and settled on the San Gabriel River in 1846. He . . . — — Map (db m25554) HM
Created March 13, 1848, and organized by a special committee approved by Gov. George T. Wood and the 2nd Legislature of the State of Texas, with Georgetown designated as county seat. The county was named for Robert McAlpin Williamson (nicknamed . . . — — Map (db m24954) HM
Completed in 1911, this is the fifth courthouse to serve the citizens of Williamson County. It was designed by the Austin architectural firm of Charles H. Page & Bro. Although some of the building's detailing was removed in the 1960s, it remains a . . . — — Map (db m25038) HM
In continuous use since 1888. Native limestone. Cost $22,000. Replaced 1848 frame jail, at grand jury request. Financed without a bond issue.
French Bastille styling, unchanged in remodeling, at cost of $40,000 in 1934. — — Map (db m25548) HM
First published on May 19, 1877, the “Williamson County Sun” was founded by Jessie E. Cooper (1855-1944). In its first century of operation, the “Sun” initiated numerous civic projects, such as the building of the first . . . — — Map (db m25319) HM
This fraternity was founded in 1865 by former Confederate soldiers at Washington College in Lexington, Virginia, during the administration of Robert E. Lee. XI Chapter was founded at Southwestern University on November 28, 1883, by Alexander S. . . . — — Map (db m24963) HM