Black Rock Mill was the center of a diverse farming community extending along Black Rock Road.
Nicholas Dorsey Offutt, a member of the Maryland House of Delegates and a successful businessman and merchant, purchased the mill in 1866 and built a . . . — — Map (db m131606) HM
Milling Comes to Great Seneca Creek
In 1811 Thomas Hilleary purchased 355 acres of land here on Great Seneca Creek. Four years later he opened Black Rock Mill. an inscription on the east side of the mill reads "Black Rock Mill T.H. 1815." . . . — — Map (db m131605) HM
Black Rock Mill was powered by a water wheel. Water falling onto the wheel from above caused the wheel to rotate. The turning wheel powered a millstone.
The millstone had two parts: a moving top stone, and a fixed bottom stone. Both stones had . . . — — Map (db m131608) HM
“Feed the Liberty Way” was the slogan of Liberty Milling Company, mainstay of the little farming community of Germantown for many years. In its heyday, Liberty Mill put out 24,000 lbs. of flour each day and 9,000 lbs. of cornmeal each . . . — — Map (db m69289) HM
This hill was once a railway bed, and it includes some of the last original pieces of Metropolitan Branch of the B&O Railroad in this area. The recreated culvert built into this hill represents an original culvert that was removed during the . . . — — Map (db m126712) HM
This lane of trees once led to the Madeline Waters House, built by Lloyd Dorsey in 1902 (see historic marker on Wisteria Drive north of Maryland Route 118). This house was typical of villa-style homes built on the outskirts of rural railroad towns . . . — — Map (db m69348) HM
The Germantown Bank was built in 1922 and was established by Augustus R. Selby, part-owner and manager of the Liberty Milling Company, and Andrew H. Baker, local entrepreneur and head of the A. H. Baker Insurance Company of Washington. Selby was . . . — — Map (db m126711) HM
This little family plot was once on the farm belonging to William Musser. William Musser came to Germantown from Lancaster County, PA as the leader of a group of migrating Germans in 1832. He was the son of George Musser & Anna Maria Graff. The . . . — — Map (db m126713) HM
In the 1780s, the Waters family acquired acreage known as the William and Mary tract, described in tax records as “wooded saplin land, 30 miles from Georgetown.” Around 1810 Zachariah Waters built a saw and grist mill on a portion of the . . . — — Map (db m99466) HM