Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gilmer, Texas Historical Markers

 
"The Gilmer Mirror" and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
"The Gilmer Mirror" and Marker
Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11313 — "The Gilmer Mirror"
Oldest continuous business in this county. Founded as weekly, "Upshur County Democrat," Jan. 1, 1877. Early owners included W. C. Paul, the Rev. S. R. Chadick, and J. P. Hart, who named it "Texas Mirror" in 1882; "Gilmer Mirror," 1895. Owned since . . . — Map (db m139419) HM
Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 12254 — 1925 Gilmer Post Office
Designed by architect James A. Wetmore, this building was constructed by A. C. Stamford of Alabama, who employed workers from Alabama and from Upshur County. Construction began in June 1925 and was completed early the following year. This structure . . . — Map (db m139418) HM
Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11324 — C.S.A. Leather Factories
On this site during the Civil War, a shoe factory converted leather into footgear for the Confederate Army. A harness factory nearby made bridles and saddles and also leather lines and breechings that hitched horses and mules to gun carriages, . . . — Map (db m139410) HM
Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11302 — Cherokee Trace
Near this site the Cherokee Indians blazed an early Texas trail. They wanted a road from their settlements near Nacogdoches to their home reservation on the White River in Arkansas.

About 1821 they selected a man known for his uncanny sense . . . — Map (db m139413) HM

Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11305 — Croley Funeral Home
J. F. Croley purchased the Croley Hardware Company in 1890 and began an undertaking business as part of the hardware store services. In 1920 a partnership was formed to run the business, and in 1933 the Croley Burial Association was formed. Croley . . . — Map (db m139408) HM
Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11310 — First Baptist Church of Gilmer
First congregation was organized in a log cabin in 1846 as the Gilmer Missionary Baptist Church of Christ. In 1854 the congregation consisted of 22 members and the Rev. J. M. Griffin served as pastor.

Church membership grew to 100 in 1869 and . . . — Map (db m139406) HM

Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 12895 — First United Methodist Church of Gilmer
First United Methodist Church of Gilmer Gilmer's early settlers came in the mid-18th century. By 1849, records indicate Baptist and Methodist congregations shared space at the county's log courthouse for their services. At that time, the Rev. J.B. . . . — Map (db m139409) HM
Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11311 — Gilgal Baptist Church
In 1865 the Rev. John Baptist led the founding of this congregation. The members built a brush arbor here and chose the name "Gilgal" after the site of the Israelites first encampment in the promised land.

Tom Littlepage gave two acres for . . . — Map (db m139421) HM

Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11312 — Gilmer
Founded 1846. Named for Thomas W. Gilmer, U. S. Secretary of the Navy and ardent champion of annexation for Texas.

Supply, training, production and educational center during the Civil War.

Farming, lumbering and oil hub. Home of . . . — Map (db m139422) HM

Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 16516 — Ragland Clinic-Hospital
In 1933, the Ragland family opened the first full-time hospital in Upshur County. Thomas Scott Ragland, M.D. (1872 – 1936) came to Texas in 1895; he settled in Gilmer in 1902 with his wife, Mamie Helen (Denson). In addition to serving as the . . . — Map (db m139398) HM
Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11319 — Sam Houston Spoke Here
On this Cherokee Trace site he had visited 25 years earlier, when he lived with the Indians, Sam Houston twice spoke as the leading Texas statesman-- on June 10, 1857, as U. S. Senator, and early in 1861 as governor.

At both times he spoke . . . — Map (db m139412) HM

Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11326 — The Looney School
During the years of 1860-70 in Gilmer, Morgan H. Looney had a school widely known for high academic standards, attracting many East Texas boarding pupils. Site was 4 blocks to the north.

Boys and girls had separate entrances, separate study . . . — Map (db m139414) HM

Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11350 — Upshur County, C. S. A. / Emma Sampson Johnson
Upshur County, C. S. A. Civil War supply and activity center. Men and boys served in the Confederate army on many battlefronts and in state troops protecting Texas from invasion. 3 military training camps were set up. Vital needs for . . . — Map (db m139416) HM
Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 12574 — Warren-Futrell House
Inspired by the Prairie School of architecture and the Arts and Crafts movement of the early 20th century, this house was constructed in 1912 for Gilmer civic leaders Daisie Lee (Boren) and James R. Warren. In 1921, the Warrens sold the house to T. . . . — Map (db m139420) HM
Texas (Upshur County), Gilmer — 11354 — West Mountain Cemetery
Part of a Republic of Texas land grant formerly occupied by Caddo and Cherokee Indians, this cemetery was established in the mid-1850s by plantation owner Alpha Phillips. The first grave, that of his father, William, is marked with a stone cairn. . . . — Map (db m139427) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement