Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
34 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Glen Allen

 
Henrico County Marker (reverse) image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, December 10, 2009
Henrico County Marker (reverse)
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Virginia (Hanover County), Glen Allen — Z-193 — Hanover County / Henrico County
(Obverse) Hanover County Area 512 Square Miles Formed in 1720 from New Kent, and named for the electorate of Hanover. Patrick Henry and Henry Clay were born in this county. In it were fought the battles of Gaines's Mill, 1862, and . . . — Map (db m25366) HM
2Virginia (Hanover County), Glen Allen — John Preston Clarke
The Rev. John Preston Clarke (1831-1915), a free black man, and his Madagascar-born wife, Lucy Ann Renibe Winston, were raised in a Quaker community of free blacks in Montpelier. Ordained a minister in 1867, Clarke helped foster black institutions . . . — Map (db m93188) HM
3Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-5 — American Legion Post 244
World War I and II veterans organized the Glen Allen American Legion Post 244 in 1946. Sheppard Crump, a member of the First Caucus of the American Legion and later the Adjutant General of Virginia was the first Commander. Dr. Alexander McLeod, . . . — Map (db m25364) HM
4Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-41 — Anderson Cemetery
Anderson Cemetery, circa 1867, is one of the earliest African American cemeteries in the Yellow Tavern area. William Kennedy, clerk of Mount Olive Baptist Church, formed the Sons of Jacob, a fraternal organization which pledged “to attend . . . — Map (db m115642) HM
5Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — Battle of Yellow TavernWyndham Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center
On May 11th, 1864, 12,000 Union troops under the command of General Philip Sheridan faced 4,000 Confederate cavalrymen commanded by General J.E.B. Stuart. After a day of intense fighting, Sheridan attacked on the high ground and successfully took . . . — Map (db m155547) HM
6Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — Box CarFreight Service
In the early years of operation, RF&P railroads derived little revenue from its freight service. Most goods were transported by river and then by wagon. After the Civil War, the railroad was joined with others to form a national system. . . . — Map (db m25372) HM
7Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — CabooseNo. 904
The first Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad (RF&P) cabooses were wooden construction built as early as 1904. Over the years, they were modified to keep them in service or sold. The RF&P purchased its first modern, all steel . . . — Map (db m25373) HM
8Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-15 — Coal Pit School
The African-American school most likely took its name from the nearby Springfield Coal Pits. The one room school established about 1905 was once supervised by Virginia Estelle Randolph, the eminent black educator. It had forty-six students by 1913. . . . — Map (db m27100) HM
9Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — Courtney Road Service StationThe Birth of Modern Automotive Services
Before there were gas stations, motorists would get a drum of fuel from an industrial depot, bring it home, and store it. Soon after, consumers got their gasoline at the blacksmith shops and hardware and grocery stores. Still others received . . . — Map (db m24597) HM
10Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-28 — Courtney Road Service Station
The 1920s were the boom years for construction of gas stations in the United States due to an increase of cars, improved roads and low gas prices. By 1929, there were 143,000 "filling" stations across the nation. Many were built in the "House with . . . — Map (db m36266) HM
11Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — Echo LakeA Place to Meet, A Sense of Community
Echo Lake was formed in the mid-19th century from Meredith Branch a 3.5-mile between Broad Street and the Chickahominy Swamp. During the late 1800s, the lake powered a flour mill. Echo Lake earned its name because you could hear your voice echo when . . . — Map (db m27099) HM
12Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — Forest LodgeOpulence in Glen Allen
John Cussons built Forest Lodge as a resort along the Richmond, Fredericksburg, & Potomac Railroad where it intersects with Mountain Road in Glen Allen. The luxurious hotel had 125 rooms and stood six stories high. It took six years to build and was . . . — Map (db m24601) HM
13Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-29 — Forest Lodge Belvedere
This Belvedere, meaning "beautiful view" was one of three Forest Lodge towers. Forest Lodge, constructed in the 1880s by Captain John Cussons, was a six-story hotel on 1000 acres in Glen Allen, west of the railroad tracks. Cussons created gardens, a . . . — Map (db m36268) HM
14Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — E-10 — Glen Allen
Called Mountain Road Crossing when rail service began in 1836, the settlement which came to be known as Glen Allen took its name from the homestead of a local landowner, Mrs. Benjamin Allen. Its most noted resident was Captain John Cussons, a native . . . — Map (db m15821) HM
15Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-1 — Glen Allen Baptist Church
The Reverend Alexander Sands organized the Glen Allen Baptist Church on February 23,1868. The Congregation first met in a rose arbor nearby belonging to Mrs. Susan Sheppard Allen. On July 4,1868, the new church held a feast and raised $400 to build . . . — Map (db m24568) HM
16Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-12 — Glen Allen School
In 1886, Elizabeth Jane Holladay established the first Glen Allen School when she began teaching children in her home. In 1899, the school was moved to a one-room building on Mountain Road. It was relocated to Old Washington Highway in 1911. . . . — Map (db m24570) HM
17Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — John CussonsA Pioneer and Entrepreneur
John Cussons, the son of John and Elizabeth (Jackson) Cussons, was born in Hornscastle, Lincolnshire, England in 1838. His adventurous spirit led him to America in 1855 and he spent four years in the Northwest living with the Sioux Indians. In . . . — Map (db m24599) HM
18Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — Liberty Golden Eagle
Rededicated this day, June 11, 2012 to the men and women of the US Armed Force who have sacrificed so much in the defense of liberty. Cast in bronze and copper, gilded in 24k gold, the Liberty Golden Eagle proudly soars atop Jefferson Hall, a . . . — Map (db m133725) WM
19Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-39 — Maybelle Carter Family Residence
In 1947 the Maybelle Carter family bought the home at 4101 Old Springfield Road here in Glen Allen, Virginia. They performed on local radio stations WRNL-WRVA and the Old Dominion Barn Dance while living in the Richmond area. The daughters . . . — Map (db m115643) HM
20Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — Meadow FarmThe Road to Yellow Tavern
Union Gen. Philip Sheridan used the Mountain Road during his 1864 raid toward Richmond. His lengthy column of 12,000 horsemen passed here on the morning of May 11. The troopers spread out to destroy many miles of railroad track at Ashland, Allen’s . . . — Map (db m15819) HM
21Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — EA-1 — Meadow Farm
The land comprising Meadow Farm was first patented by William Sheppard in 1713. In 1800, Sheppard family slaves thwarted plans for a well-organized slave uprising known as Gabriel's Insurrection. The farmhouse was built in 1810. Dr. John Mosby . . . — Map (db m15820) HM
22Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-31 — Mercer Hugh Cosby Farm
Significant for its ownership by one African-American family dating back to the late 1800s, Mercer Hugh Cosby built the farmhouse in the 1880s on 52-acres. He grew tobacco and had an orchard on the property. The farm passed to his youngest son . . . — Map (db m64014) HM
23Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-36 — Mount Olive Baptist Church
This church, originally known Mount Olivet African Church of Baptist, was founded May 2, 1867. Its founding congregants, wanting their own church, moved from local North Run Baptist Church and began meeting on 1.18 acres nearby. As the first . . . — Map (db m115644) HM
24Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — Mount Olive Baptist Church
This church, originally known Mount Olivet African Church of Baptist, was founded May 2, 1867. Its founding congregants, wanting their own church, moved from local North Run Baptist Church and began meeting on this 1.18 acres site. — Map (db m115646) HM
25Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — EA-5 — Mountain Road
Mountain Road was originally an Indian trail. It became the main thoroughfare from Richmond to Charlottesville in the 1700s. During the American Revolution, the Marquis de Lafayette traveled this road on his march to Yorktown. Thomas Jefferson used . . . — Map (db m15822) HM
26Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad Company
The Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad (RF&P) ran from Richmond to Washington, D.C. With only 113 miles of track, it was one of the shortest in the nation but it was the link between the North and the South. Train service existed 157 years . . . — Map (db m28944) HM
27Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-2 — Shady Grove United Methodist Church
A group of neighbors, meeting in a cooper shop near the present site, organized a church in 1852. With five dollars, they purchased one acre of land from the estate of Thomas Maxwell and erected the first building in 1855. It was used as a school . . . — Map (db m25360) HM
28Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-7 — Sheppard and Baker's Grant
The Sheppard's Way subdivision was part of the original 400 acre land grant made to William Sheppard and Richard Baker in 1713. They obtained it through the "Headrights System" by paying for the passage of eight people from England to the Virginia . . . — Map (db m24569) HM
29Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — HC-34 — Springfield School
African-American students attended this two-room 1920s structure. It was one of approximately 22 schools under the supervision of the pioneer educator, Virginia E. Randolph. Multiple grades were taught with students ranging in age from seven to . . . — Map (db m64015) HM
30Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — Steel CoachNo. 522
The Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation built this all-steel coach in 1923. This coach was later modernized and included features such as air conditioning, double-glazed metal windows, cable curtains, and rotating reclining seats with adjustable . . . — Map (db m28945) HM
31Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — U.S. Railway Post Office Car
Government regulations required Railway Post Office cars in 1910. The RF&P owned five. American Car & Foundry built this one in 1916. Some of the first steel cars were postal cars. They were important revenue sources for the railroad. The . . . — Map (db m28946) HM
32Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — W-221 — Virginia Estelle Randolph
The daughter of parents born in slavery, Virginia Randolph (1874-1958) taught in a one-room schoolhouse beginning in 1892. A gifted teacher, she became in 1908 the nation's first Jeanes Supervising Industrial Teacher, a position sponsored by the . . . — Map (db m25365) HM
33Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — EA-2 — Walkerton
Constructed in 1825 for John Walker on Mountain Road, once a major route between Richmond and the western Piedmont of Virginia, Walkerton served as a tavern in 1828 and 1829. Since that time it has been a hotel, store, voting precinct, and private . . . — Map (db m15823) HM
34Virginia (Henrico County), Glen Allen — EA-6 — Wickham's Line
In the first phase of the Battle of Yellow Tavern on 11 May 1864, Brig. Gen. Williams C. Wickham and his Confederate cavalry were posted just south of this location below Old Francis Road. Wickham's men fired on Brig. Gen. George A. Custer's Union . . . — Map (db m15848) HM
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 24, 2020