Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Glen Rock, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Cold Spring Hotel Marker image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, August 2, 2019
Cold Spring Hotel Marker
Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — Cold Spring Hotel
In 1841, Phillip Sheffer bought from William Heathcote, the land on both sides of Main Street from Church Street to the Railroad crossing. In 1858, Sheffer sold the property at 45-55 Main Street, then called the tavern lot, to George Moessinger, who . . . — Map (db m82355) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — Creek and Rail Glen Rock Heritage Rail Trail County Park —
The Codorus Creek attracted this area's first European settlers, who used its water to power mills. The Creek's flat floodplain was also ideal territory for trains. In 1839, the Baltimore and Susquehanna, forerunner of the Northern Central Railway, . . . — Map (db m82358) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — From Sawmill to Wherley's
In 1832 Simon Koller built a sawmill at this location which he operated until 1837 by which time he was ready to move. On March 31, 1837 Koller sold his farm to a young Englishman named William Heathcote who built a woolen mill adjacent to the . . . — Map (db m137478) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — Glen Rock Auditorium

On July 17, 1912, the Glen Rock Musical Association purchased this property from Ben Abel with the intention of building a 500-seat auditorium. By the end of 1913 construction of the "Glen Rock Auditorium" was completed. The Item described it . . . — Map (db m82343) HM

Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — Item Building / Bixler's

In 1884, Nathaniel Z. Seitz built the 4 Hanover Street section of this building to serve as the new home for Glen Rock's newspaper, the Item, of which he was editor from 1871 to 1886. In 1892, Dr. George P. Yost, editor from 1886 to . . . — Map (db m82341) HM

Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus
It was in this area in 1891 that Benjamin F. Sheffer and Samuel K. Diehl formed a partnership to sell agriculture implements, buggies, wagons, corn shellers, etc. In 1892 they added a full line of hardware products. In 1898 Sheffer left and the . . . — Map (db m137479) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — Roland Forrest Seitz 1867 - 1946 "Parade Music Prince" —

This plaque is placed here to honor the life and works of Roland F. Seitz who graduated from Dana's Musical Institute in 1898 and returned to Glen Rock to spend his time in the field of music. He was a teacher, organist, band director, . . . — Map (db m82340) HM

Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — The First National Bank

On June 1, 1864, The First National Bank of Glen Rock opened for business on Main Street in the train station. In July 1876, N.Z. Seitz built a building at this location. The Bank moved in on November 30, 1876. The building also contained a . . . — Map (db m82356) HM

Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — The Glen Rock Woolen, Flour, and Feed Mill
Between 1837 and 1839, William Heathcote built this building for use as a woolen mill. In 1851, Heathcote sold his woolen mill to Phillip Sheffer and Charles Olp. Sheffer bought out Olp and in 1852, converted the woolen mill into a grist mill. . . . — Map (db m137477) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — The Glen Rock Woolen-Flour & Feed Mill
In 1827, William Heathcote built this building for use as a woolen mill. In 1851, the building was sold to Phillip Sheffer and Charles Olp. Sheffer bought out Olp and in 1852, converted the mill into a grist mill. In March 1885, Israel Glatfelter . . . — Map (db m71102) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — The Original Glen Rock Carol Singers
The English contingent in the village of Glen Rock was increased during the year 1848 by the arrival directly from England of Charles Heathcote, Mark Radcliffe, and George Shaw. As the yuletide season approached, on Christmas Eve 1848, Charles . . . — Map (db m82292) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Glen Rock — Trains, Grains, and More Trains Welcome to Glen Rock, Pennsylvania Settled 1837 - Incorporated 1859 —

The trains allowed Glen Rock to send out what was made, as well as bring in new industries, due to the accessibility. The trains pumped in vitality, encouragement and convenience. The large brick building at the right was built by Emmanuel . . . — Map (db m82362) HM


12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement