Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gonzales, Texas Historical Markers

 
1834 Homesite of Capt. and Mrs. Almaron Dickinson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, December 31, 2018
1834 Homesite of Capt. and Mrs. Almaron Dickinson Marker
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1221 — 1834 Homesite of Capt. and Mrs. Almaron Dickinson
Site of the home to which two of the survivors of the Alamo returned, March 13, 1836. Susanna Dickinson, with her infant daughter, brought news of fall of Alamo into Mexican hands (March 6) and of the death of its heroic defenders from Gonzales, . . . — Map (db m128171) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 3823 — Andrew Ponton — Texas Heroes Square
Born in Virginia to William and Isabella (Mooreland) Ponton, Andrew Ponton came to Texas in December 1829 and settled in Green DeWitt's Colony, receiving a land grant near Hallettsville. He became active in area politics, and in 1834 he was named . . . — Map (db m36591) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 690 — Campsite Marking Start of San Jacinto Campaign
On March 11, 1836, Sam Houston, leader of Texas Revolutionary Forces, arrived here to organize the second volunteer army. On March 13, he heard of the massacre of Alamo defenders and that the Mexican army was advancing toward Gonzales. He . . . — Map (db m128172) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 795 — Central Square
Green DeWitt in 1825 appointed James Kerr to select and survey the capital for DeWitt's Mexican land grant colony. Kerr named the capital Gonzales for Don Rafael Gonzales, Governor of Coahuila and Texas. This was central square in 49-block . . . — Map (db m128166) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 853 — Church Square
This block of the inner town of Gonzales was set aside in original plans of surveyor James Kerr for religious uses. Kerr's plans were approved by Don Rafael Gonzales the Provisional Governor of Coahuila and Texas. This block is still used for . . . — Map (db m128168) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1634 — First Baptist Church of Gonzales
Pioneer Texas Baptist minister Z. N. Morrell organized the first Baptist congregation in Gonzales in 1841. It disbanded after about four years, but by 1847 a new congregation, led by the Rev. Richard Ellis and nine charter members, had taken its . . . — Map (db m123658) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1756 — First Methodist Church — of Gonzales
Circuit-riding Methodist preachers conducted worship services in this area as early as 1824. In 1841 the Rev. J. P. Sneed organized a Methodist church here as part of his circuit, which included Victoria, Port Lavaca, and Seguin. By 1843 the . . . — Map (db m123645) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2214 — Gonzales Cannon
On this site September 29, 1835 the Mexican government troops demanded the return of the Gonzales cannon. After two days delay, awaiting recruits, the colonists answered, "Come and Take It." — Map (db m128151) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2215 — Gonzales Cannon Burial Site
On this site September 29, 1835 the Gonzales cannon was buried from the 150 Mexican Dragoons sent to demand it. Two days later it was mounted on ox-cart wheels, loaded with chains and scrap iron, and fired at the Mexican Army, the . . . — Map (db m128170) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2218 — Gonzales County Jail
. . . — Map (db m123638) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2219 — Gonzales Courthouse
In county organized 1837, first courthouse burned 1893. This second one was built 1894-1896 at cost of $64,450. Headquarters for many Texas leaders; scene of important court decisions. — Map (db m123635) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2220 — Gonzales Memorial Museum and Amphitheatre
The commission created by the Texas Legislature in 1935 to oversee Texas' centennial joined with the Public Works Administration to build a memorial to Texas Revolution events in Gonzales. The memorial includes a museum, amphitheatre and reflecting . . . — Map (db m128176) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 12837 — Green Dewitt Cemetery
Green (1787-1835) and Sarah (Seely) (1789-1854) Dewitt moved their family from Missouri to Texas in 1826 after he successfully petitioned the Mexican government for an Empresario Grant to settle 400 Anglo-Americans on lands southwest of Stephen F. . . . — Map (db m128149) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2710 — Jail Square
First mapped in 1825 as "Market Square," but had become "Jail Square" prior to 1836 when Gonzales was burned by order of Gen. San Houston to prevent buildings and supplies falling into possession of oncoming enemy, Gen. Santa Anna. — Map (db m128167) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1735 — James W. Robinson — First Lieutenant Governor of Texas — (1800-1857)
First Lieutenant Governor of Texas James W. Robinson (1800-1857) Born in Indiana. Came to Texas in 1833. Elected lieutenant governor in November, 1835, Served as governor January to March 1836, then fought as a private in the Battle of San Jacinto . . . — Map (db m123611) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 3373 — Military Plaza
To comply with wishes of governor of Coahuila and Texas, the 1825 plans for Gonzales followed usual plans for Spanish towns. Surveyed by James Kerr, agent for colony's contractor, Green DeWitt, and Kerr's assistant, Byrd Lockhart. This was named . . . — Map (db m123661) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4045 — Plaza
Gonzales town tract of 4 square leagues had 49 squares in inner city - 7 of these squares for public use. This one was for municipal buildings, but became plaza. Now called Texas Heroes Square, in honor of all Gonzales men who fought in the . . . — Map (db m128169) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4367 — Route of Gen. Sam Houston — to San Jacinto
Stricken with news of the fall of the Alamo and threatened by a massive Mexican army, Sam Houston gathered the nucleus of a Texan army here, issued orders to burn this town (to hinder the Mexicans) and marched east, March 13, 1836. He won Victory at . . . — Map (db m128177) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4503 — Sam Houston Oak
1/8 mile north is Sam Houston Oak where General Sam Houston established his headquarters camp March 13, 1836 after burning the town of Gonzales Under this oak his small army was joined by many volunteers from the eastern . . . — Map (db m128178) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 4571 — Santa Anna Mound
Extending from this point one-quarter mile west is Santa Anna Mound formerly De Witt Mound now site De Witt Family Cemetery. Here Mexican troops camped between September 29 and October 1, 1835, awaiting delivery of the Gonzales . . . — Map (db m128152) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1215 — Sarah Seely De Witt
Who with her daughter Evaline made the first battle flag of Texas used by the colonists in the Battle of Gonzales, October 2, 1835 Born in Virginia, 1789 came to Texas in 1826 with her husband Green De Witt, Empresario, and their . . . — Map (db m128150) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2634 — Site of Indian Fort
An Indian raid July 2, 1826, left one Gonzales settler dead, another shot, homes plundered. Settlers fled to Burnham Station on the Colorado, or moved to Lavaca River. In 1827 DeWitt's colonists were ordered back here. On this lot they built a . . . — Map (db m128173) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 2624 — The Immortal 32
In Memory of the Immortal 32 Gonzales men and boys who, on March 1, 1836 fought their way into the beleaguered Alamo to die with Colonel William B. Travis for the Liberty of Texas. They were the last and only reinforcements to arrive in answer to . . . — Map (db m128175) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 13 — The Old Eighteen
On this site, September 29, 1835 began the strategy of the 18 Texians who by advising with Alcalde Andrew Ponton, held for two days 150 Mexican dragoons sent to demand the Gonzales cannon, allowing colonists time to mass recruits for . . . — Map (db m123671) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 12612 — The Presbyterian Church — of Gonzales
On February 29, 1852, the Presbyterian Church of Gonzales was constituted with eight charter members, led by the Rev. Joel T. Case. The Rev. John McRae served as the first permanent pastor and the congregation held worship services once a month in . . . — Map (db m123660) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 5894 — Women of the Confederacy
To the Women of the Confederacy whose hearts bled, whose hands healed, whose pride was crucified, yet who were never conquered by the bitterness of war nor the devastation of the Reconstruction. To their glorious memory . . . — Map (db m128349) WM

26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.