The first Central School was built in 1871. The Grand Haven Tribune hailed the belfry-topped school as the "finest in the state" and "the pride of every citizen of Grand Haven." The newspaper blamed arsonists for burning the school on May 5, . . . — — Map (db m89379) HM
Grand Haven remembers and honors the United States Coast Guard Cutter Escanaba at Escanaba Memorial Park. Based in Grand Haven from 1932 to 1942, the Escanaba embarked on many Great Lakes rescue and ice-breaking missions. The vessel left for service . . . — — Map (db m88819) HM
Text on the Front Side of the Marker:
City of Grand Haven
Parks & Recreation
Text on the Back Side of the Marker:
Originally named John Kelly Park,
the name of the park was changed . . . — — Map (db m88900)
This town began as a trading post established by Rix Robinson in the 1820s. Robinson, an agent for the American Fur Company, used this as one of his leading western Michigan posts. The Reverend William M. Ferry came here in 1834 from Mackinac to . . . — — Map (db m89132) HM
Grand Haven treasures its relationship with the United States Coast Guard, and the annual Grand Haven Coast Guard Festival is a celebrated tradition. What started in 1924 as a picnic and rowing competition among Coast Guard personnel has become a . . . — — Map (db m88933) HM
This depot was constructed in 1870 as the western terminus of the Detroit, Grand Haven and Milwaukee Railroad. The line was later owned by the Grand Trunk Western Railroad. The station served Grand Haven as a passenger depot until passenger service . . . — — Map (db m88965) HM
This signal for many years guarded the east-end approach to the Grand Trunk Western Swing Bridge over the entrance to the Spring Lake channel.
This electrified signal with its colored lights indicated to the engineer of the train whether the . . . — — Map (db m4786) HM
Built in 1925 by Ogle Construction Co. of Chicago. Illinois.
All ladders, stairways and other steel hardware were stripped from the tower when it was removed from operation in the early 1950's.
In use, a hopper car of coal was spottedover . . . — — Map (db m4780) HM
This caboose of the Grand Trunk of Canada was of the 1894 design and was transferred to the Grand Trunk Western.
Early car department records indicate that it was rebuilt in 1925.
This all-wood caboose was used by the conductor as a . . . — — Map (db m4781) HM
On May 10, 1886, the city of Grand Haven leased 60 acres of land to the newly founded and incorporated Highland Park Association for the purpose of establishing a resort community. Most of the 51 original members of the Association were . . . — — Map (db m89252) HM
In Memory of
those Coast Guard Men and Women around
the world that served at sea, on land and
in the air during all of our country's
conflicts since our founding in 1790.
More especially to those extraordinary
Coast Guard heroes that . . . — — Map (db m88858) WM
In 1873 lumberman James Brayton built a cottage here, which he and his wife named "Khardomah Lodge." Susan Hill Yerkes bought the property in 1919, adding thirteen rooms and converting the cottage to a summer hotel, thus . . . — — Map (db m89164) HM
Built in December, 1946 by the Ralston Steel Car Co. in Columbus, Ohio.
It was used for transportation of automobile parts, furniture, and general merchandise.
Later it was retired from service and used as a storage car in the Chesapeake . . . — — Map (db m4783) HM
Built in November, 1941 by the St. Louis Car Company of St. Louis, Missouri.
The caboose was truly a rolling office, complete with a coal stove, ice box, drinking water tank, sink and sleeping bunks.
The conductor used desk space provided . . . — — Map (db m4782) HM
Built by the Lima Locomotive Works, Lima, Ohio in November 1941. The boiler number is 7837.
This is one of two surviving steam engines of its type that were used in fast freight service between Chicago, Saginaw, Detroit and Toledo. Engine 1223 . . . — — Map (db m4785) HM
Text on the Front Side:
Shipwrecks and the Coast Guard
In Autumn 1929 raging storms sank four ships on Lake Michigan between Grand Haven and Milwaukee. Two went down with all hands - a total of seventy-seven men. The . . . — — Map (db m88945) HM
The Grand River riverfront has been many things. It was a bustling gateway to Lake Michigan for lumber and shipping in the 1800s. After years of neglect, in the 1950s it gained new life as a vital part of Grand Haven's downtown. In the early 1980s . . . — — Map (db m88811) HM