Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Granger, Texas Historical Markers

 
A. A. & Mary Spacek House image, Touch for more information
By Keith Peterson, May 17, 2007
A. A. & Mary Spacek House
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12308 — A. A. & Mary Spacek House
Designed by Architect William Flick, this house was built between 1921 and 1923 for Arnold Adolph (A. A.) Spacek and his wife Mary Julia (Cervenka). A. A. Spacek (1896-1952) was a locally prominent grocer, banker and merchant who also served as . . . — Map (db m2184) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12426 — Brick Streets in Granger
Area landowners A. S. Fischer and W. C. Belcher platted the townsite of Granger in 1884, in anticipation of its potential to develop along the rail line that had been laid two years previously. The town plan called for a 100-foot-wide main street, . . . — Map (db m2497) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 13614 — Friendship Community
Beneath the waters of Granger Lake, constructed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers in the 1970s, lies the site of an early agricultural settlement known as Allison and later as Friendship. Brothers Elihu Creswell Allison and James A. Allison began . . . — Map (db m28818) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9099 — Granger Brethren Church
Czech Protestant immigrants began settling in this area in the early 1880s. Many of them established family farms in the rich farmland surrounding Granger. The Czechs first organized worship service was held in a schoolhouse east of town in the . . . — Map (db m4114) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9100 — Granger City Hall (Farmers State Bank)
Erected in 1908-09, this building originally housed Farmers State Bank, the second banking institution founded in Granger. The bank closed in 1926 and the building became the Granger City Hall in 1929. An architectural hybrid of the late 19th . . . — Map (db m4150) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9101 — Granger High School
Established in 1887, the Granger Common School District built three earlier school buildings (1887, 1906 and 1914) on this site before this structure was erected in 1924-25. A good example of institutional design of the period, the building features . . . — Map (db m4172) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9294 — Macedonia Cemetery
According to local tradition a congregation known as the O'Possum Creek Church built an all-faiths sanctuary in this area as early as 1858. During the 1860s the Macedonia community began to develop as English and German immigrants settled in the . . . — Map (db m4682) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9333 — Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
The Czechs/Moravians who settled here in the early 1880s initially worshiped in each others' homes or traveled 12 miles to Taylor, site of the nearest Catholic church. As their informal congregation grew so did the community of Granger. In 1891 they . . . — Map (db m25175) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12480 — Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic School
In 1899, eight years after the founding of Saints Cyril and Methodius Church, its Czech/Moravian parishioners established a school for their children. In 1901 the sisters of divine providence began their long affiliation of providing teachers for . . . — Map (db m116918) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12918 — Site of Moravia School
In the mid-nineteenth century, Moravian immigrants began moving into central Texas, attracted by fertile soils and the hope for better lives. One who settled here was Pavel Machu (1834-1907), a native of the Vsetin Valley in what is now the Czech . . . — Map (db m25469) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9372 — Young House
Constructed in 1901 for the A.A. Young family, this residence exhibits elements of the Classical Revival and Beaux Arts styles of architecture. Its eclectic details and architectural features include large dormers, decorative balustrades and . . . — Map (db m25510) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement