Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Grantsburg, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Compton School (Marker to the left of door.) image, Touch for more information
National Park Service, Thomas Stone National Historic Site, June 17, 2019
Compton School (Marker to the left of door.)
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Compton School
Built on New Germany Road (ca 1810-1830). Moved to Spruce Forest in 1989. Restoration made possible by a loan from Maryland Historical Trust. House donated by Cora Broadwater — Map (db m137545) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Glotfelty House
Built in 1776 on the road between Salisbury and Pocahontas, Pa. by Solomon Glotfelty, as part of a larger log structure. Moved to Penn Alps in 1972 to be used as an artisan's studio. — Map (db m137543) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Markley House
First built north of Salisbury, PA. prior to 1775 by John Markley on an 800-acre tract granted by the King of England. Marked and moved to a new site prior to 1885, and then to Penn Alps in 1985. — Map (db m137548) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Miller House
Built by Benedict Miller, Amish Bishop an Patriarch, and his son Joel B., in 1855 near what is now Springs, PA. Moved to Penn Alps campus in 1986 and restored in 1987 as an Anabaptist Peace Center as well as a memorial to the early Millers' walk of . . . — Map (db m137550) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West Garrett County, Maryland
(Logo for Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West, Garrett County) (7 small color images of structures and landscapes. 1 large color image of the Cassleman River Bridge.)

Transportation

Transportation features include . . . — Map (db m135716) HM

Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Schrock Cabin
Build about 1930 as a woodland retreat and writer's studio for Alta Schrock near her parental home at Niverton, Pa. of materials provided by her father. Moved to Penn Alps in 1970. — Map (db m137553) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Site of the National Pike Blacksmith Shop Spruce Forest Artisan Village History Walk
This was the site of a blacksmith ship for shoeing horses and servicing stagecoaches, freighters and Conestogas on the National Road. Up to fourteen coaches per day, each way, passed here during the peak season. Traffic was often so heavy that the . . . — Map (db m137552) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Winterburg House
Built in 1820 in Grantsville, Md. as a stagecoach stop on the Old National Pike. Food, drink, sleeping accommodations and tickets were for sale here. Reconstructed at Penn Alps in 1967. — Map (db m137554) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement