Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
10 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Green Cove Springs

 
Clickable Map of Clay County, Florida and Immediately Adjacent Jurisdictions image/svg+xml 2019-10-06 U.S. Census Bureau, Abe.suleiman; Lokal_Profil; HMdb.org; J.J.Prats/dc:title> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Usa_counties_large.svg Clay County, FL (22) Baker County, FL (17) Bradford County, FL (2) Duval County, FL (210) Putnam County, FL (46) St. Johns County, FL (345)  ClayCounty(22) Clay County (22)  BakerCounty(17) Baker County (17)  BradfordCounty(2) Bradford County (2)  DuvalCounty(210) Duval County (210)  PutnamCounty(46) Putnam County (46)  St.JohnsCounty(345) St. Johns County (345)
Green Cove Springs, Florida and Vicinity
    Clay County (22)
    Baker County (17)
    Bradford County (2)
    Duval County (210)
    Putnam County (46)
    St. Johns County (345)
 
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-874 — Camp Chowenwaw
Created in 1932, Camp Chowenwaw (Cho’-wen-waw) derived its name from the Creek word for “sister.” Prominent Jacksonville resident Nancy Osborne, with support from local organizations such as the Rotary and Kiwanis clubs, led the effort . . . — Map (db m102456) HM
2Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-1042 — Dr. Applegate House
Originally from Indiana, Dr. Joseph W. Applegate moved to Florida after the Civil War to work with the Freedmen's Bureau at Magnolia Springs. He later partnered with John H. Harris to operate the Clarendon Hotel (c. 1871) in Green Cove Springs. By . . . — Map (db m135555) HM
3Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-480 — Fort San Fransisco de Pupo
Pupo is first mentioned in 1716 as the place where the trail from the Franciscan Indian missions and the Apalachee (present-day Tallahassee) to St. Augustine crossed the river. The Spanish Government built the fort on the St. Johns River some time . . . — Map (db m62187) HM
4Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — Green Cove Springs
High ground along the river and a flowing mineral spring drew the first inhabitants to this area some 7000 years ago, but historic development dates from 1816 when George I. F. Clarke erected a sawmill in this vicinity under a Spanish land grant. . . . — Map (db m63712) HM
5Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-783 — Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery
Hickory Grove Baptist Church was organized in 1863, and the church’s congregation first worshiped here in one of the earliest buildings constructed in Clay County. The church was named for a grove of hickory trees that grew here. The original . . . — Map (db m102455) HM
6Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-276 — Old Clay County Courthouse
When Clay County was created in 1858 by the Florida Legislature, Middleburg was named as temporary county seat. As a result of an 1859 election, Whitesville (Webster), became the official county court site. Clay County's 1st courthouse was located . . . — Map (db m65638) HM
7Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — Sharon Baptist ChurchOrganized November 15, 1885
Organized by the Rev. James Hickey. Charter Members: Robert and Adeline Hogarth, Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Tolar, Mrs. Sarah Smith, Mrs. Mahoney, Mr. and Mrs. R.B. Sullivant, and Mrs. Celia Weeks. Property for church given by T.H. and C.B. Hayden. Cemetery . . . — Map (db m110522) HM
8Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-399 — The Bellamy Road
The Old Bellamy Road intersects Highway 17 near this point. In 1824, the First session of the 18th United States Congress appropriated $20,000.00 to develop a public road in the Territory of Florida between Pensacola and St. Augustine. It was to . . . — Map (db m62644) HM
9Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-496 — The Village Improvement Association Woman's Club
On February 20, 1883, the Village Improvement Association (V.I.A.) of Green Cove Springs was organized. Meetings were held in members’ homes. Money was raised to beautify the town, most of which was used for boardwalks, and 70 feet of clay pavement . . . — Map (db m65099) HM
10Florida (St. Johns County), Green Cove Springs — F-514 — William Bartram's Plantation
In 1766 on the banks of the St. Johns River at Little Florence Cove, William Bartram attempted to farm a 500-acre land grant. Bartram had spent much of the previous year exploring the new British Colony of East Florida with his father, John Bartram, . . . — Map (db m48683) HM
 
Paid Advertisement
Dec. 3, 2020