William Bartram, America's first great naturalist, passed through northwest Butler County in July 1775. He described the "limestone rocks" and "banks of various kinds of sea shells" left by oceans that covered this area millions of . . . — — Map (db m120937) HM
Created in 1819 by Act of Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by the Creek Indian Nation by the Treaty of Fort Jackson, 1814.
Named for Captain William Butler, soldier of Creek Indian War, 1813-14, early settler . . . — — Map (db m70755) HM
Killed in Action
Likely, James T. 10-2-1967
Taylor, Clarence 5-28-1969
Rutherford, Michael T. 11-5-1969
Cooper, William Morris 9-7-1968
Johnson, Johnny L. . . . — — Map (db m70771) WM
On August 28, 1917, Alabama National Guardsmen departed from Union Station in Montgomery for shipment to France as the 167th United States Infantry Regiment of the Rainbow Division. Men from Butler County killed in action during 1918 in that great . . . — — Map (db m120940) WM
Dr. John Coleman, born June 6, 1788 in North Carolina, was one of Butler County's earliest pioneer settlers. He built the Coleman-Crenshaw House some time between 1817 and 1821. In June 1820 the first election for Sheriff and Constable, held in . . . — — Map (db m130052) HM
Confederate Park was created in 1897 as a joint effort of the Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the City of Greenville, with First United Methodist Church providing the Park . . . — — Map (db m70749) HM
William Ogly built his cabin near this site at Poplar Springs along the Federal Road, and was killed here with most of his family on March 13, 1818. His friend Eli Stroud's wife was fatally wounded and their infant . . . — — Map (db m120933) HM
Front: Our Confederate Dead
Back: To the memory of Butler Co's Confederate Soldiers
West: Erected 1903 by the Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
East: Dead, but his spirit breathes;
Dead, . . . — — Map (db m70768) WM
North side: Our Confederate Dead
West side: Erected 1903 by the The Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
South side: To the memory of Butler CO's . . . — — Map (db m130089) WM
Greenville's oldest, established 1819. Captain William Butler, for whom the county was named, buried here. He was killed fighting Indians led by Savannah Jack in March, 1818. Greenville's oldest church, a community church established in 1822, . . . — — Map (db m70751) HM
The Butler County Electric Membership Corporation was formed as a rural electric cooperative in Greenville in July 1938. The first home receiving electricity from the cooperative was located near here.
The Cooperative's original Board of . . . — — Map (db m70756) HM
The Camellia City
Mr. J. Glenn Stanley, an ardent camellia enthusiast, dreamed of Greenville becoming “The Camellia City” and loyally promoted this slogan as editor of The Greenville Advocate. The citys . . . — — Map (db m70754) HM
The Federal Road and the Palings
The Federal Road was built in 1806 as a shorter route from Washington to New Orleans and the new Louisiana Territory. The road entered Alabama at Fort Mitchell, Georgia and passed through Butler County near this . . . — — Map (db m130050) HM
West Commerce Street Historic District
The completion of the railroad in the late 1850s brought this District into being. The District grew into a major trade center between Montgomery and Mobile. The capital accumulated . . . — — Map (db m70753) HM
to the glory of God
and in grateful memory
of all those Butler Countians
who served their country
in the cause of freedom.
These made the
1942 . . . — — Map (db m83260) WM