Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gretna, Louisiana Historical Markers

 
William Tell Hall & plaque. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, February 20, 2015
William Tell Hall & plaque.
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Centennial Marker
On June, 4, 1884 members of the police jury of Jefferson Parish Right Bank: F.H. Hatch, Pres., Geo. Bossey • H. Eloi H. WIlkinson • L.H. Marrero W. M. Naudain • N. Le Bouef held their first meeting in this William Tell . . . — Map (db m81058) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — City of Gretna
Incorporated 20 August 1913. John Ehret, First Mayor. Seat of Jefferson Parish Government since 1884. German settlement laid out in 1836 by Benjamin Buisson for Nicholas Noel Destrehan as Village of Mechanikham. — Map (db m80973) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — David Crockett Firehall
This property David Crockett Firehall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m81060) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Derbigny Plantation
Home of Pierre A.C.B. Derbigny, 6th Governor of La., 1828~1829, member 1st La. Legislature, La. Secretary of State, La. Supreme Court Judge, Battle of N.O. veteran. 1820 operated 1st steam ferry on Miss. River at N.O. Died 1829 from a carriage . . . — Map (db m80975) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Gretna City HallCentennial 2007
Built in 1907 as the sixth Jefferson Parish Courthouse Annex added 1929 Dedicated Gretna City Hall 1964 National Register of Historic Places 1983 — Map (db m81107) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — McDonoghville
Founded 1815 by education philanthropist John McDonogh. Also known as Freetown where his freed slaves settled and Gouldsboro for railroad magnate Jay Gould. Incorporated 1913 into City of Gretna. — Map (db m80976) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Mel Ott
Gretna's Native Son Mel Ott New York Giants 1926-1947 Baseball Hall of Fame 1951 — Map (db m81056) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Phoenix Iron Works
Approx. 200 feet SW of this site, cast first gun for the Confederate Navy on 4 May 1861. The gun, a Dalhgren cannon, fired an 8~inch diameter explosive shell. Sylvester Bennett was proprietor. — Map (db m81063) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Saint Joseph Church
Father T. Anwander, C.SS.R., with a group of laymen, organized the mother church of West Jefferson in 1857. Previously Redemptorists crossing the Mississippi from the city of Lafayette had served the German, Irish, French and . . . — Map (db m81135) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.