Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Grove City, Ohio Historical Markers

 
"Coming Home 1942" Mural and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 5, 2019
"Coming Home 1942" Mural and Marker
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — "Coming Home 1942" — Town Center Mural

This mural depicts Broadway between Grove City Road and Park Street in 1942. The block, then occupied by a private residence, a drug store, a barber shop/real estate office and a restaurant, became the site of City Hall in . . . — Map (db m137701) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — "Park and Broadway in 1924" — Town Center Mural

The corner dates are important dates of the city's history

1852 - Grove City was laid out 1866 - Grove City became an incorporated village 1886 - Franklin County Engineer issued a new plat map of Grove City 1959 - Grove . . . — Map (db m137667) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 3306 Columbus Street — Est. 1853
. . . — Map (db m137708) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 3968 Broadway — Est. 1903

Site of Wm. Breck's 2nd Store & Pilgar's Harness & Saddle Shop.

Built as First National Bank of Grove City, the Women's Civic Club established first public library in the Director's Room.

The Telephone Company was on . . . — Map (db m137635) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 3974 Broadway — Est. 1949
. . . — Map (db m137636) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 3981 Broadway — Est. 1915

Built by W.C. Grossman as the Kingdom Theater for Mrs. Jessie Kφenig. OLPH owned and celebrated Mass in the building from 1954 to 1959. LTOB Players purchased the building in 1976. — Map (db m137682) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 3989 Broadway — Est. 1915

First building on west side of Broadway. Built by H. J. Mayer as garage/showroom. Site of first elevator in GC, used exclusively for autos! First bowling alley on 2nd floor. Home of various markets & restaurants, the . . . — Map (db m137638) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 3995 Broadway — Est. 1921
. . . — Map (db m137639) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 3999 Broadway — Est. 1923
. . . — Map (db m137640) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 4002 Broadway — Est. 1912
. . . — Map (db m137641) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 4022 Broadway — Est. 1854

Built as a hotel by George Weygandt for Wm. Blackburn. Wm. & Ida Voelkel added a biergarten on the north side. The Endres family then operated the tavern for over 75 years. — Map (db m137622) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 4026-4030 Broadway — Est. ca. 1903
. . . — Map (db m137706) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 4038 Broadway — Est. 1919

Built by O.G. Grossman

Became a local bakery in 1922.

Prior to 1875 Edward Schirner owned a store here in a small frame building — Map (db m137704) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 4052 Broadway — Est. 1872

Built by German merchant & village postmaster Edward Schirner. Elias White, Civil War veteran, bought the house in 1891. Home of Mayor John Felton (1930s). In 1999 the GCCVB opened their first visitors' center . . . — Map (db m137703) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 4057 Broadway — Est. Pre-WW1

Built by Frank Emmelhainz for his brother Edward as a garage and Studebaker & Regal car sales room.

It became Bethard's Garage in 1932. — Map (db m137702) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Augenstein-Spillman Blacksmith Shop
This blacksmith shop was constructed using original logs from a two-story log home built on Beatty Road in the 1850s. The materials were donated by Roger and Jean Spillman. Tools in the shop were used in "Augy's Blacksmith Shop," owned and . . . — Map (db m141667) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Bob Evans Double-Crib Log Barn
Crib barns were made of rough-hewn logs notched and laid horizontally; gaps went unfilled to save labor and provide ventilation. The multifunctional structures sheltered livestock, held feed, stored equipment, and more, such as housing a . . . — Map (db m141668) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Borror-Roach Windmill
Windmills harnassed wind power to pump water from wells freeing farmers to use time and labor on other tasks. This windmill is reconstructed with parts from two separate windmills, one from the Borror Farm (donated by M/I Homes) and another from . . . — Map (db m141670) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Dedicated to Maria C. Klemack-McGraw — Council Member — Ward 4 — Jan. 2, 2000 — Jan. 1, 2016 —
In recognition of her 16 years of dedicated service to the citizens of Grove City, Ohio, as a four-time elected member of City Council, and as Council President from 2002 to 2004. In 1961, following the Bay of Pigs invasion, Klemack-McGraw . . . — Map (db m141595) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Dr. Leslie A. Bostic — Humanitarian, Visionary Leader — Service Above Self

Dr. Leslie A. Bostic served 40 consecutive years as the founding executive director of the Buckeye Ranch (formerly Buckeye Boys Ranch) in Grove City. He earned his undergraduate degree and Master of Social Work from the Richmond . . . — Map (db m137678) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Funk-Ziegenspeck Granary
Granaries were used to dry seeds for the family to use to sow crops the next growing season. This small granary was built on the Ziegenspeck Farm, located on Harrisburg Pike just south of St. Rt. 665, around 1927. Steve and Trudy Funk . . . — Map (db m141687) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Gantz Park Labyrinth
Introduction The labyrinth is an ancient spiritual tool that has been used throughout the world for over four thousand years. A labyrinth is a circuitous path with one entance point that leads through a series of switch-backs to its . . . — Map (db m141603) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Gold Star Families Memorial

A tribute to Mothers, Fathers and Gold Star Families who sacrificed a Loved One for our Freedom

Throughout history, brave women and men of our community made the ultimate sacrifice to protect the freedom of all Americans. . . . — Map (db m137654) HM WM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Grove City Cemetery Association — Founded 1908
Original Board - January 15, 1908 Charles N. Graul - President 23½ yrs Henry W. Voeller - President 16 yrs Otto Willert - Secretary 29 yrs Fred Kientz - President 14 yrs                         Superintendent - 30 yrs Wayne W. . . . — Map (db m12911) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Grove City Veterans Memorial

This monument is a tribute to all veterans who served so that we may live in freedom.

[Benches surrounding the memorial are engraved with four words symbolic of a veterans' service]:

Valor       Duty       . . . — Map (db m12921) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Haines-Black House
This house was built on a parcel originally part of an 1808 land grant of 3,900 acres to John Smith Snead in payment for his Revolutionary War service. Many transfers and divisions of the land occurred prior to 1850, the era when this house was . . . — Map (db m141689) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Jones Log Barn
This log barn, constructed around 1850, was donated by Patty L. Jones. It was dismantled in 2005 with help from inmates of the Pickaway Correctional Institution. It was reconstructed by Southwest Franklin County Historical Society volunteers . . . — Map (db m141692) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Kegg-Kientz Log House
This log home was built on property purchased between 1860 and 1880 by William Kegg, a prosperous land owner in Franklin and Pickaway counties. In 1915, the land and house were purchased from the Keggs by the Rouffs. In 1960, the land was sold to . . . — Map (db m141695) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Lutherans in Jackson Township — 150th Anniversary of St. John's

1846 The Highland Mission was built. Lutherans organized a German and English congregation there in 1849. Built 1st church one block west in 1853 "St. Johannis Kirche." 1856 St. Paul's Lutheran (MoSyd) built on this site. About . . . — Map (db m137707) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Mayor Robert E. Evans Clock and Memorial
In memory of Mayor Robert E. Evans Mayor of Grove City 1980-1988 City Councilman 1976-1980 A man who possessed an infectious laugh, a warm heart, and the true spirit of public service. Mayor Evans was one of the guiding lights in the . . . — Map (db m12920) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 37-25 — Orders Road School / The Orders Family
Side A: Orders Road SchoolEducational standards for rural children did not exist during the early 1800s, but by the 1870s most states had enacted compulsory education laws. In rural areas, township school districts built schools like this . . . — Map (db m12922) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Sherol Saxton Mulligan — 1945 - 2016 — Service Above Self

Sherol was a Gold Star Daughter, whose support for the men and women of our military was rarely matched throughout her career. She served on the USO of Ohio Board of Directors.

Sherol was a business leader in our community that was . . . — Map (db m137679) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — 20-25 — The Borror Family / Borror's Corners — Jackson Township Pioneers — Pioneer Homestead 1809 - 1811 —
The Borror Family Jackson Township Pioneers In 1809-1811, Magdalene Strader Borror, widow of Revolutionary War veteran Jacob Borror, Jr., moved to this area from Virginia with her seven children (Martin, Jacob, Myomi, Solomon, Christine, . . . — Map (db m12908) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Tiney M. McComb — 1943 - 2012 — Service Above Self

Tiney McComb, a businessman banker, was known for his community service as well as his banking expertise. He and his wife, Helena, moved to the Grove City area in 1968 accepting a position with the Grove City Savings Bank. Both became . . . — Map (db m137680) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), Grove City — Town Center Gazebo

In 1984 the Beautification Committee strived to enhance the beauty and character of our City: This plaque is to honor Betty L. Evans who was instrumental in the beautification program. Her . . . — Map (db m137698) HM


35 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement