Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Halfmoon, New York Historical Markers

 
Marker Site image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, January 8, 2019
Marker Site
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent
Named from crescent shape of Mohawk River at this point. Site of Indian carry from Mohawk River to Hudson River. Site of old Crescent Bridge. — Map (db m128384) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent
A major crossing of the Mohawk since the revolution, Crescent was an important commercial center during the Erie Canal Era. — Map (db m128386) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent / Mohawk Towpath Byway / Halfmoon
Crescent When the Erie Canal opened in 1825, the commercial focus in Halfmoon shifted to the village of Crescent where the longest aqueduct on the system carried the canal across the Mohawk River. That aqueduct was replaced in 1842. Between . . . — Map (db m128408) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent Aqueduct
These stone remnants mark the northern end of the aqueduct which carried the Erie Canal over the Mohawk River between 1825 to 1915 — Map (db m129628) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Halfmoon
Originally called Middletown, this hamlet was the site of the first post office in the town. — Map (db m139008) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Halfmoon Academy
Private school chartered 1851 to 1877. Transferred to District #1, Town of Halfmoon. A common school until 1951 — Map (db m128389) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Halfmoon War Memorial
In memory of all the men and women from Halfmoon who so bravely fought for our country — Map (db m139029) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Spice Factory
Established in 1859 by Joshua Anthony produced baking powder. Spice grinding and extracts operated until 1920 — Map (db m125354) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Town of Halfmoon
Organized in 1788 as one of the four original towns of Saratoga County, Halfmoon became a residential community in the late 20th century. — Map (db m70842) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Van Den Bergh
Property shown on 1767 survey Continued ownership mid 1800ís Farmhouse c. 1834 Family established ferry across the Mohawk in 1707 — Map (db m128382) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Vandenburgh Dunsbach Ferry
Early settlers found well-defined trails between old Indian villages and river fording places. These trails became early roads. Cornelius Claes Vandenburgh established a rope ferry at this site before 1705 connecting an Indian trail that . . . — Map (db m128394) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement